Compound Driveline angels.. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2002, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Compound Driveline angels..

Okay, so as most of you know, I'm putting a centered diff, full width Dana 70 under my D90...Now that gives me a 6.5" offset from my t-case. Double cardon for sure at the t-case, but will I be hatein' it on the vib issue?

Strange has done this and he's only got an annoyance vib at 35mph and nothing past that...Anyone else with experience? Doesn't really matter though...I'm goin' for it anyway! That way if the LT230 does blow up (which it shouldn't) then I;ll go Atals or D300 with a TF.

--D
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2002, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4749
Send a message via AIM to Rover Addiction
Hey dude, don't piss off the driveline angels!!!
Last time I did that, I blew one of the supposedly indestructable driveline CVs climbing a rock face!

Anyway, if you can get the up/down and side/side angles to match, you won't need any CV. If you can't get both to match, then you gotta do dual CVs (top and bottom) to get rid of all the vibes. Now if it's a trailer rig anyway and you're not doing high speed, who the heck cares if it vibrates a bit. However, if you want to run on street, be careful!

Talk to Jesse at High Angle Driveline, he can help you out with that stuff and from what I can tell, his stuff is bulletproof!

-John

Old 01-08-2002, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Who sold you the indestructable CV? What happend? You don't have a compound angle? I've been meaning to chat with Jess about this..I'll call him and letcha' know.

--D
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
Old 01-08-2002, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4749
Send a message via AIM to Rover Addiction
Well, so it's the GBR bigger CV driveline, not Jess's 1-ton stuff. However, I don't know anyone else who has blown up the GBR CV either and the local driveline shop says it's the strongest available anyway...

Try Jess, let me know what he says!

-j
Old 01-08-2002, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Why not get an offset D60 out of a van???

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2002, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7755
Thats what I was thinking oldscout.

I mean you would probably break even by the time you sold the D70. Maybe even better considering the DS. Maybe you could adapt the D70 ends, locker and gears to a salisbury housing?

I posted a question about offset pass rears and someone said J20s too. Couple days ago on the general 4x4 board.

Ron
Old 01-08-2002, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4101
I thought of that...Acutally the off-set 9" to be excact...But I got a sweeeeet package deal on the 60/70...It would have cost me as much to build the 9" as it would for both the front and rear locked and disked Dana's.

Strange is running a centered 44 right now, and he convinced me (after he did it! ) that he doesn't have any significant problems. Also I want to wait and see how the LT230 hold up to 42's and a supercharger. If she holds, and I have vibrations I can't take, then I'll cut down the 70. But I wanted to hear from others that are running a major compound angle. My main concern is the relative strength of a CV at a compound angle...Jess should be able to straigten me out...Pun intended!
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
Old 01-12-2002, 05:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Yea I got the centered rear d44. Mainly because I a rough bastered like the idea of running stock components and secondly because the amount of offset left to right is comparable the the amount of vertical offset you see in a lot of short lifted rigs.

If you run a double cardon at one end only then I dont think it will work as you carnt run the uni at the other end in a dead straight position so I think that it will vibrate. If you want to run double cardons then you will have to do it at both ends.

The thing with the offset in the left to right plane. Cause the line of the too shafts looking from the top is perfectly parallel then this should not cause any vibration. Im sure that the slight vibration I get at 35mph under load is fron the missalingement looking from the side. I have cranked my pinion up high to match the angles (I am not running the two shafts parallel from the side to get the equal angles. I have rotated the pinion up to be inline with the tail shaft and then I rotated it up some more to again match the angles but the break in the angle is now in the opposite direction. ) and only really guessed it by eye.

Sam
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2002, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9329
Send a message via Yahoo to brianbonner90
This site can help you understand all you need to know about drive line angles
http://www.drivetrain.com/driveline_angle_problem.html
Http://www.circle-b.com
brianbonner90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.