Springs (a thread for Merv) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2002, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8768
Springs (a thread for Merv)

Ok,

In my own search for the best of both worlds, I am looking for both 'heighth and softness' (here's where Merv should kick in).

In this regard, I'm talking about springs.

I seem to have this weird notion that I can have both a soft ride, and a decent lift. I called John at Rovertyme yesterday and we talked about his springs an his spring spacers.

Here's the vehicle:

94 RR LWB, ARB bullbar, Series 12 Warn winch, ARB roof rack, a few extra goodies (nothing toooo heavy), will tow a trailer from time to time, will be loaded down quite often for hard trail use (no extreme rock crawling), but will MAINLY (for now), be used by my wife as her daily driver. Right now the truck has OME HD fronts/rears and OME shocks in the rear and Rancho 9000's in front.

Here's what I was thinking....

Saggy LR springs out of a Disco, RR, whatever, some spring spacers for the front, and air-bags inside the springs in the rear (along with spacers in back too).

I am planning on getting a set of the 3 inch lift springs from Rovertyme and seeing how they worked.

Is there anyone else who is making springs or spring spacers? I can have those things made here locally, but honestly don't want the PITA factor.

Just kind of looking for some advice/thoughts/suggestions while I'm thinking this out.

Thanks,

Michael
Serious One is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2002, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
I put a set of RTE 3" HDs on my disco. I run RS 9000 frt and rear(9234/9012).

I have a 3/4" lean to the right. The ride is just fine and I do not have any heavy options yet. The rear shocks are set on 4 and it's still a bit like a pogo stick, so I'm going to Bilstiens because a setting of 5 is too stiff.

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2002, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8768
Scout,

Do you think the springs are too stiff, or do you think it's the shock? I assume that since you're going to Bilsteins you think it's the shock.

Bummer. I have enjoyed 9000's on all of my trucks and wanted to stick with them.

M
Old 01-25-2002, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
I made my own custom mounts and needed to increase the tilt forward from a stock 25 degree to 30 so that I could get the 9012 to fit. I guess that 30 degrees is just to far for the Rancho to work right. I dropped down 1.5" of travel on the Bilstiens so that I can move the shock back to 25 degrees for forward rake. I'm happy with the spring rate and even made a trip to the hardware store with out any shocks on !

BUY MY BOAT

Last edited by Old Scout; 01-25-2002 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Send a message via AIM to road1will
hey scout, why didnt you just buy the RT shock mounts? i have them on the RR with 9012s and everything is PERFECT. i couldnt ask for more flex out of such a simple setup. and the ride is awesome too.
road1will is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2002, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9055
I'm running RTE 3 inch springs 220 rate front 280 rate rears with an addtional 1 inch spacer all around. I also run the Rancho 9000s set to number 2 in the front and 3 in the rear. I have RTE sliders and some tools in the back but nothing really heavy yet.. I'm also waiting for RTE to make me a bumper (custome cause of the winch I'm using) which will add some weight to the front. I feel that the front is a little stiff when going over bumps on the street but off road it is really nice. The rear is just right for me. Not to stiff but, not so loose that the truck leans all over the place. With a little weight in the front it should ride real nice and smooth..

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
GRNRVR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2002, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally posted by MeenGreen63
hey scout, why didnt you just buy the RT shock mounts? i have them on the RR with 9012s and everything is PERFECT. i couldnt ask for more flex out of such a simple setup. and the ride is awesome too.
Hey dumbassnewbie this is POR we build are own shit here. I have a Miller 250X mig , Miller maxstar 200 TIG , Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutter,
30 ton shop press, lathe, vertical mill, 20" wet band saw at my disposal . I did copy John's design and it was only $10 in metal and 2 hrs of work!

You start spouting that buy and bolt on mentality and your not in the right forum/page.

BUY MY BOAT

Last edited by Old Scout; 01-25-2002 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8871
hey scout trust me i know where i am. just that i am all for making your own stuff but when it is available pre made at a decent price then ill buy it instead of spending my time making it myself. and dont even start thinking that i am a buy and bolt on type guy. look at the specs for my project rig and you'll see what i mean:

1963 SIIA 88" soft top
325hp Chevy 350
TH350 auto with man. valvebody
LT230 t/c
undecided on axles
38x12.5 SXs

Old 01-25-2002, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8768
So,

If I understand you correctly, if I am smarter than you and able to figure out the Rancho I want to use and am able to make it work at the angle I need, then the Rancho's and the RTE springs are a nice combo? (I'd insert a flip-off here, but I want to be funny, and not offensive )

These trucks aren't supposed to have monster travel, so I'll probably stick with the shocks I have.

Thx.

Michael
Old 01-25-2002, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8871
hey mike, its okay to give the . that is the pirate salute, while means pissed off.

just a little FYI

Old 01-25-2002, 12:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 8122
Mike,

Rockware can also make spacers to your specs. I run OME 764s on all fours of my 90. Stiff enough for me on road with a 3-link and flexy off road as well. I think free height is 17.9 drivers side, bit less for pass side.

Johnathan
Jtisdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2002, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally posted by Serious One
So,

If I understand you correctly, if I am smarter than you and able to figure out the Rancho I want to use and am able to make it work at the angle I need, then the Rancho's and the RTE springs are a nice combo? (I'd insert a flip-off here, but I want to be funny, and not offensive )

These trucks aren't supposed to have monster travel, so I'll probably stick with the shocks I have.

Thx.

Michael
Ranchos are just fine, But when POR member Bob Roggy was having a sale on Bilstiens and the 9012 on the Rover were stolen off of my Scout . I made the change to Bilstiens. BTW with Bob's sale they were cheaper than RS9000 , only 55.00 ea!!!

BUY MY BOAT
Old 01-25-2002, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8122
Scout,

Funny how what comes around goes around. Meangreen was just givin all the newbies on the D90 list shiat about buying $$$$ SG stuff and not building it themselves! Dude-that was poetic justice if I've ever seen it!

Johnathan
Jtisdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2002, 12:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 8871
no no no no no

if you read the D-90 list rant correctly, you would see that what i have a problem with is people not researching the product or mod whatsoever before they do it. basically the people that call up SG and say "make my truck kick ass off road" and drop 5 grans without even knowing what they bought. THAT is what i have a major problem with. not buying something because you either A can not make it, or B because you could not make it for less. remember, different peoples time is worth different amounts to them.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally posted by Jtisdale
Scout,

Funny how what comes around goes around. Meangreen was just givin all the newbies on the D90 list shiat about buying $$$$ SG stuff and not building it themselves! Dude-that was poetic justice if I've ever seen it!

Johnathan

BUY MY BOAT
Old 01-29-2002, 11:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 8843
Send a message via AIM to offroadr35
i bought my d90 with an SG stage III kit already on it. I changed the springs to OME 756s in front and 762s in the rear with 1.5" lift blocks. Once I got the fox shocks adjusted correctly I really like this setup.

-Steve
offroadr35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.