are these too small?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2002, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3979
are these too small??

just bolted up the 37" boggers.
measure up to only 35.5"(on 10" rims)
should I get something bigger?(assuming I can sell on return these)
Attached Images

roverhybrids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Keep em, wheel em, they don't last very long

OHHHH yea looks great!

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2002, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8122
sweeeet! Your coming to the Chili Challenge aren't you!

Johnathan
Jtisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 02:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9396
Ah Jaysus lads,

I've just put on a set of 35's last christmas and I thought it was awesum :-(

Back to the crawing board!. Serious though: Tres Cool!

While on Tires, I've an option to get 2 bgf AT 35-12.50-15 for about $150 for both. Guess about 1 to 3000 miles on 'em. perfect. I'm thinking of getting them, and 2 more new ones for use as road tires, and gave the MT's for play weekends. I use it as a daily driver. Anyone here ever used big BFG AT? Much better on the road? I've always had MT's so dont know

Warning, spellchecker is switched off, gramma may be errotic.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8768
Merv,

I've had the AT's before and let me tell you that they SUCK both on pavement and off.

Honestly I don't like them for much of anything. I had a set that I ran for a long time and finally did the trip to the Arctic Circle with them just so I could destroy 'em and get a new set when I got back.

But....if the price is right....it can cure any performance dissapointments you may experience.

Good luck!

M
Serious One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9426
Send a message via AIM to Diesel Jim Send a message via MSN to Diesel Jim
First off, hi guys, this is the first message i've posted to <this> list.... guess i need to do the obligatory heh heh!!

Merv, i've got the 35" BFG MT's on mine, and they are great for a 'road' tyre and a bit of mud, but down my neck of the woods it's really clay type mud, and the Simex's rule....shame they are only in 35x11.5"

I was looking at the TSL Bogger 37". that looks sweet

Jamie
D90 Tdi
D90 V8i
D110 td5
Diesel Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9396
Quote:
Originally posted by Serious One
Merv,

I've had the AT's before and let me tell you that they SUCK both on pavement and off.

Honestly I don't like them for much of anything. I had a set that I ran for a long time and finally did the trip to the Arctic Circle with them just so I could destroy 'em and get a new set when I got back.

But....if the price is right....it can cure any performance dissapointments you may experience.

Good luck!

M
Hmmm, Crap is crap, no matter how cheap. Maybe I'm better sticking to my MT's and changing 'em when they need changing.

Merv.

Old 01-26-2002, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9396
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Austin
First off, hi guys, this is the first message i've posted to <this> list.... guess i need to do the obligatory heh heh!!

Merv, i've got the 35" BFG MT's on mine, and they are great for a 'road' tyre and a bit of mud, but down my neck of the woods it's really clay type mud, and the Simex's rule....shame they are only in 35x11.5"

I was looking at the TSL Bogger 37". that looks sweet

Jamie
D90 Tdi
D90 V8i
D110 td5
Hey Jamie Dude!

My Mt's are General Grabber MT's. They have a more open pattern and are a little more agressive that the BFG's. Still like the idea of Bogger's or Simex's though.

And as we are here :

Old 01-27-2002, 03:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Re: are these too small??

Quote:
Originally posted by teabag
Great looking rig

The sorts of tyres you guys are throwing on your d90s now are looking better and better. Carnt wait to see Rock Rovers and his 42s.

Sam

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.

Last edited by Strange Rover; 01-27-2002 at 03:58 AM.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4101

Quote:
Originally posted by teabag
Dig that drop hitch!

Yea, the do look small for a 37' (with the wheel arch removed)....If you can return them (Discount?) I'd just step up to the plate and slap a set of 38.5 SX's...Bitchen tire and (if I remember correctly) they're a tad over 37.5 on a 10" rim.

If you can't return them, or are facing loosing a bunch of $, then I'd stick with them, they look and perform bitchen. Honestly, with bierfield's up there that tire's plenty.

--D

P.S.: Welcome Jamie!
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 03:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 9907

Quote:
Originally posted by roverhybrids
I just finally bolted myne onto the rig today ( same as yours 37 boggers 15" rims although my rims must be skinnier ( GCR's with MTR beadlocks ) ) and off the vehicle they a just a shade under 37" with 30 psi and on the rig somewhere between 36.5 and 36.75 inches

I'm gonna go give em a quick little test drive, as it looks captain sawzall won't need to visit, except may a little on the sliders!

Dont'ya just luv a NEWBIE
Old 02-13-2002, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 9907
Re: Re: are these too small??

Quote:
Originally posted by tomw

I'm gonna go give em a quick little test drive, as it looks captain sawzall won't need to visit, except may a little on the sliders!

Dont'ya just luv a NEWBIE
Oops, looks like I have a date with Cpt Sawzall afterall

In the front wheel wells the slider needs trimming, and the back of the fender needs trimming under articulation, rears seem fine, I may even be able to keep the fender flares as ragged as they are
Old 02-13-2002, 04:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 3979
hey tom
how's your turning radius?
Old 02-13-2002, 06:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 9448
I mounted the 37 boggers on a set of 8" wheels and they were quite tall. I ended up using the 36X12.50 SXs on the 8" wheels. The boggers didn't look right at all on the 8" wheels but someday I may get some 10" wheels for the boggers. Amazing how wheel width affects the diameter. When you and tom are together next it would be interesting to see a side by side picture of the two tires mounted on the different wheels.

I have the same problem with the fenders up front but it's only on the passenger side. The tires only hit the body on that side, the driver's side is fine. I put a spacer in the front arm to move the axle a little bit forward on that side to try and help it but we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Fear Factory; 02-13-2002 at 10:53 PM.
Fear Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 02:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 9907
Quote:
hey tom
how's your turning radius?
No Problem! I just drive in straight lines now

Really, Its a bit worse. Today I'll cut the sliders and weld on a new
end piece ( or use the hollow slider as axle storage or something ?).
Teabag , err,.... Shane , can you send me some close up pics of how you cut the fenderwell and riveted it back on!

As for adjusting the bump stops, I'm wondering if just using a set of spacers in the front will do it.... then I'll have a wider track in the front, than the back? that might be good or it might be wierd when trying to pick a line ( wierd is my thought )? I don't feel like shelling out for four spacers $$$

Damn, those tire are mega heavy, I haven't put the spare on the rack yet, and I ain't lookin forward to it, better get the back brace thing like they wear at home depot!
Old 02-14-2002, 02:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 3979
I think you should put 2" spacers front and back;
get you up to about 80" wide.
here's a pic of the cut and riveted fender
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2002, 12:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 9907
Quote:
I think you should put 2" spacers front and back;
get you up to about 80" wide.
here's a pic of the cut and riveted fender
Cool, thanks! ( PS: tell Doug M to read this )

Cpt Sawzall & Prof Grinder paid a visit today
I cut the sliders ( use a new blade on each if there Bill Burkes stout sliders! ), and then trimmed the front fender wells.

This was after going to my favorite articulation spot ( a ~ 3 foot diameter log on the property ) and havin a peek at what was rubbing.
I'm not done yet, heres the issues:

Rear tires hit the SG bumperete gaurds by 1/16 inch under full stuff ( this may be adjusted by tweaking locatable hiem joint on traling arm )

Front tires hit sliders
Front tires hit fenderwell behind tire
Front tires hit inner steel mudshield behind tire in wheelwell

I think I solved the slider probs & the 1st fenderwell probs ( note, I actually believe I can keep all my "scruffy" fender flares , which are hopelessly useless ( tires stick out past em ) but may keep the local Gerndames (PD ) happy

I cut the sliders and the fenders where the front of the outrigger starts..... Heres something Doug M. ( RockRover I think ) needs to know.....: Since my skinnier rims make the boggers a wee bit taller than say Shane's ..... I am VERY close to hitting the front outrigger and the heater box protrusion on the bulkhead....
Whats a 38.5-39" tire gonna do ... better look into it, prolly trivial, but needs addressing!

I'd like to keep the inner steel mud sheild ( maybe... err less weight if gone )..... the solution is BFH I think.

An iteresting note on the Boggers, while crawling up the big log, I had to be locked ( to get the front to bite ), the conditions were mud packed grass, I got a posi slide effect ( with respect to the torque direction ) with the boggers...... I have never experienced that with other laterally stable tires. on flat conditions... these pups may need some grooving ( which I was planning on )...
Any grooving info appreciated...

On the bright side, I may not be rubbing the tires on the front radius arms, it may just been the slider making that "thakety, thakety" noise as the grippy boggers bit the slider... TBD...

Pics to come next week.

Last edited by tomw; 02-15-2002 at 12:54 AM.
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 9907
Quote:

Cool, thanks! ( PS: tell Doug M to read this )

Cpt Sawzall & Prof Grinder paid a visit today
Oh yeah, While articulating, I heard a big "kerthunk" twice and on the first one the vehicle angled a 1/4 inch, I thought it was spring seating/unseating issues.... The second time, it was more like 3 inches!!! ( dang good thing my head wasn't under the rig studying/poking around anywhere vulnerable ( MERV! ) )
I then did a full suspension inspection..... Turns out the retainer on the passenger ( unstuffed side ) hade bent and let the spring go!!!!!! these were pretty new stage 3+++ springs with the mtn bike retainer spring....
This proves:

Check retainers, muchos force!
mtn bike spring is pretty limiting ( but "BALANCED" ) as compare to the Rockware Cones I had previosly run...

Thanks

Last edited by tomw; 02-15-2002 at 12:51 AM.
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 10:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 3979
Quote:

I cut the sliders and the fenders where the front of the outrigger starts..... Heres something Doug M. ( RockRover I think ) needs to know.....: Since my skinnier rims make the boggers a wee bit taller than say Shane's ..... I am VERY close to hitting the front outrigger and the heater box protrusion on the bulkhead....
Whats a 38.5-39" tire gonna do ... better look into it, prolly trivial, but needs addressing!

I'd like to keep the inner steel mud sheild ( maybe... err less weight if gone )..... the solution is BFH I think.

stable tires. on flat conditions... these pups may need some grooving ( which I was planning on )...
Any grooving info appreciated...

I think Doug's not too woried about the outriggers since he's moving his front axle forward about 4". Then again last i heard he was planning on 42" TSL's.

For grooving ideas do a search in the general 4x4 section

And I think you got it right for the inner mud shield.....BFH
Old 02-15-2002, 09:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Quote:

I think Doug's not too woried about the outriggers since he's moving his front axle forward about 4". Then again last i heard he was planning on 42" TSL's.

For grooving ideas do a search in the general 4x4 section

And I think you got it right for the inner mud shield.....BFH
Yup...That's the ticket! 4" minimum. I figure now that your running a true 37" tire and your almost rubbing the out-rigger and bulk-head, then a true 42 would mean that I would have to move the front axle forward no less than 2.5"...Of course the 42's in question are 15.5" wide...But that's were 69" full width axles come in.

I have a feeling that 37's is max on a 90 without cutting the front wing/light box off the fenders...I was hitting the leading edge of my fender-well with my 35 ssr's...The next rub would have been the light box.
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote