D90 Body - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2002, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3413
D90 Body

How much do you guys think I could get just the body for? I'm going to start building a rig and I want somthign liek a D90 or a Jeepster body to start with. Are there other land rovers the size od D90's? This truck will have a SBC350, atuo tranny, atlas II, 60's, coilovers, and 37-39's. It will also include a full cage and possably a custom frame. As I said up to now I have been planning to use a '69 or so jeepster but now I am exploring a few other ideas, since I will not be startign to build till next fall.

Last edited by Mcstiff; 02-07-2002 at 01:10 AM.
Mcstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3979
ballpark figures for D90
tub $500
doors $800
bulkhead $500
fenders $300ea
hood $400
grill $100
windshield $200

so about $3000.

You can get a series 88 complete truck less drivetrain for less than $1000. Take a look at Strange Rovers rig for a series 88 body swap. The defender grill can be swapped for the series grill if you want the defender look. If you're going to cut out the fenders for 40" swampers then the series body should suit your needs just fine.
roverhybrids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2002, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3413
The series II looks sweet. I have a few questions about it though. Whats the wheel base? I want to have mine about 105" (stretched not stock) Is there room for the V8 and necessary componants? What is a good websight for me to reasearch these? Can a D90 cage be put on a series II? (I'm guessing no)

Last edited by Mcstiff; 02-07-2002 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3979
the series II and IIa and III are either 88" or 109"
the tub/bed on an 88 is approx 5" shorter than a D90.
and you would be better off building a D90 "style" cage as the actual cage is very expensive to buy in the US.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3413
The only reason I'm intrested in the D90 cage is because of the way that LR has designed the front exo portion. I would like to copy this but I'm not sure how tuff it would be to do.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7755
If you are going to 105" I would look for a 109 pick up body and shorten it. The only tough part is the steel bulkhead but you could make something out of a junk (rusted) one for a couple hundred bucks.

Course the best part about rover body panels is that they are aluminium. No rust. and low weight. if you keep a somewhat stock body you can get cages from Betaweld in the UK for something reasonable (well reasonable for rover parts )

Ron
Old 02-07-2002, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3413
Well, a pickup is out caus I would like to beable to seat 4. I was thinking about the D90 caus it would be cool to mess with the yuppies on campus
Old 02-07-2002, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7755
You can fit a full length roof to a PU. All the tops interchange. I custom soft top would be particularly sweet.

Ron
Old 02-08-2002, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3413
Well then
Old 02-08-2002, 08:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 9359
Send a message via Yahoo to John Witherspoon
OK, While this is being discussed,...I have mentioned this in the past. I've acquired a series III and am looking at an older bronco that is FREE, for the frame, etc. A friend and I plan to fab body mounts etc. and make it work. (with, of course, a defender bonnet and grille...you know, for the poseur-defender look!) The width and wheelbase seem to correspond to the series measurements quite well, and the axles should be better than the oh-so-stout series jobs. But, there is also a possibility of getting a scout to use as a platform...a 72 model. I believe it has the 345 in it...just needs a front axle. (if worst comes to worst, I think we can use the front from the bronco in the scout?). Which should make a better platform? I have heard "use a land rover chassis"...well, they're expensive, and not much punkin, unless you get a refurbished or new one. The scout/bronco options are real cheap comparitively, and have (what I understand to be) better axles etc. I just don't know about the bronco, being half leaf and half coil sprung, as opposed to the full leaf scout. Any opinions? The bronc has an old V6 as compared to the V8 in the scout. Hey Oldscout! whatcha think?

I know this is a painfully long post/question,...so any patience and help is mucho appreciated!

Thanks,
John
Old 02-08-2002, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 3413
I just remembered why I dont want to bob the tub. Then I would have to bob the top and any soft top would have to be custom. I think the only Land over body that I could use with out bobing would be the D90. Is there a 101" WB LR ? That would seem to be the best length. So unless I can find one cheep I guess I'll have to use a jeepster. Eather way I'm going to have a unique rig.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 7755
Bobbing the top is cake. It is rivited together.

Also a "custom" soft top is no biggy either.

It is so simple you could either DIY or have an awning place make one. Probably the easiest thing would be to buy a 109 regular soft top and just shorten it.

The hoops all work out and interchange and are available seperate.

It is quite common to build 100in hybrids in the UK. Series body on a RR chassis.

If you do have you heart set on a D90.

Check out www.roversdownsouth.com

Ron
Old 02-08-2002, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 3979
Quote:
Originally posted by John Witherspoon
OK, While this is being discussed,...I have mentioned this in the past. I've acquired a series III and am looking at an older bronco that is FREE, for the frame, etc. A friend and I plan to fab body mounts etc. and make it work. (with, of course, a defender bonnet and grille...you know, for the poseur-defender look!) The width and wheelbase seem to correspond to the series measurements quite well, and the axles should be better than the oh-so-stout series jobs. But, there is also a possibility of getting a scout to use as a platform...a 72 model. I believe it has the 345 in it...just needs a front axle. (if worst comes to worst, I think we can use the front from the bronco in the scout?). Which should make a better platform? I have heard "use a land rover chassis"...well, they're expensive, and not much punkin, unless you get a refurbished or new one. The scout/bronco options are real cheap comparitively, and have (what I understand to be) better axles etc. I just don't know about the bronco, being half leaf and half coil sprung, as opposed to the full leaf scout. Any opinions?
John,
If you want to use the series body then my first choice would be to use the series frame also. Swap in the axles from one of your doners with a spring over using some other leaf springs like chevy 1/2 ton rears etc.
Old 02-08-2002, 03:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3413
Dont have my hart set on a D90, it just seems like the closest thing to what I want. I do have my hart set on a 105"wb, 37-39's, D60's, hydro ass. steering, coilovers, Atlas II, auto tranny, SBC350 (ramjet), a strong frame, cage, waterproof interior, and close to 90 degree aproch angles. If I had a tow rig I would just make a buggy. Since I want to be able to drive this for a long period of time I think a body and top would be nice.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 8843
Send a message via AIM to offroadr35
sounds like you and Doug M are going to arrive at the same truck from opposite directions. Maybe send RockRover a PM, he's building a D90 with basically all the goodies you've mentioned.

-Steve
offroadr35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 11:30 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7183
Send a message via AIM to JMyerz
I'm thinking about the same thing....

I've been looking into buying a D90 Body & Chassis and building it up.

I want to put a Chevy 327, NV4500, Atlas II, and I'm not quite sure what I want to do for axles.

I do know that I want a soft top, a "water proof" interior and I want to run a OME 3" Lift with 33x10.50 BFG KMs.

The only thing that has stopped me is I would have to sell my daily driver in order to build it. That and I don't think I'm experienced enough to take a project on like this myself.

-Justin