Its alive - first outing picks (my back yard) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2002, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7962
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,462
Its alive - first outing picts (my back yard)

Well its finally going (sort of)

Still got heaps to do like the transmission tunnel, seats and belts, and finish wiring the lights, run the air lines etc for the lockers and traction control and more fender cutting But when the thing can move under its own steam and I dont have to push it around then I know I am starting to get somewhere.

At the moment the suspension height is way to high. The springs have come up 2 inches thru the reduction in body weight. I will probably lower the suspension by about 3inches with softer springs and removal of spacers to get all the angles back to where they should be.

The 42 tsl tires should be here by the end of the week (but I am betting they will get here mid next week) so I still got lots of cutting to go yet.

Anyway heres some picts of my first outing wheeling in my back yard getting it AWN (not really)
Sam
Attached Images
 
__________________
Land Rover SIIa, 302W, NP435, NP205, MOG404s, 42in Swamper TSLs, 112in WB

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.

Last edited by Strange Rover; 02-20-2002 at 12:48 AM.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7962
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,462
Oh yea the holes in the front fenders arnt supposed to be there the guy who owned the landie before me had an extra set of lights in there
Attached Images
 
__________________
Land Rover SIIa, 302W, NP435, NP205, MOG404s, 42in Swamper TSLs, 112in WB

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2002, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7962
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,462
I will probably cut the front fenders above the holes when I get my big tyres.

In that last shot you can just see the radiator in the top of the bonnet. It wouldnt fit in front of the motor caust the body it too short.

OK last one


Sam
Attached Images
 
__________________
Land Rover SIIa, 302W, NP435, NP205, MOG404s, 42in Swamper TSLs, 112in WB

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Member # 7755
Location: Main Line PA
Posts: 1,952
Hows it cool with the rad up there?

Just trim right below the top hole there. That would look perfect and you would still have somewhere for turn signals.

Spectacular!

Ron
__________________
:evil:
evilfij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4101
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 2,231
Re: Its alive - first outing picts (my back yard)

Quote:
Originally posted by Strange Rover
Well its finally going (sort of)

At the moment the suspension height is way to high. The springs have come up 2 inches thru the reduction in body weight. I will probably lower the suspension by about 3inches with softer springs and removal of spacers to get all the angles back to where they should be.

The 42 tsl tires should be here by the end of the week (but I am betting they will get here mid next week) so I still got lots of cutting to go yet.


Sam
Damn Sam! You work FAST! Awesome job my friend!

I wouldn't lower your rig until you actually see first hand what a 42" tire looks like under your rig! From the pics she doesn't look that tall at all. When the 42's go on you'll forget all about the 3"!

And that rear wheel stuff your getting right now is gonna' go far far away! Looks like with that lift, and that amount of rear up-travel, your gonn'a have to cut WAY up the side pannel...Near the top of the radius on the pannel. That's okay though. I think, from the pics, that the trimming should go as high as possible....And if you lower the suspension at all you'll have to loose the bed all together!

--D
__________________
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4101
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 2,231
BTW, who's that guy' sitting in the passenger seat of your rig?

--D
__________________
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7962
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,462
Quote:
Originally posted by evilfij
Hows it cool with the rad up there?

Just trim right below the top hole there. That would look perfect and you would still have somewhere for turn signals.

Spectacular!

Ron
Dont know how well the radiator works. I havent got the electric fans hooked up yet and I havent got the temp gauge working yet either

But hopefully it will work, otherwise I will have to put one in the back.

Yea with the cutting that was what I was thinking also although a cut that far up on the fender may look too high. Its a shame the holes are there cause then I could just cut a bit at a time to see how it is looking but then again with the 42s it probably has to go that high anyway.

Sam
__________________
Land Rover SIIa, 302W, NP435, NP205, MOG404s, 42in Swamper TSLs, 112in WB

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7962
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,462
Re: Re: Its alive - first outing picts (my back yard)

Quote:
Originally posted by RockRover


Damn Sam! You work FAST! Awesome job my friend!

I wouldn't lower your rig until you actually see first hand what a 42" tire looks like under your rig! From the pics she doesn't look that tall at all. When the 42's go on you'll forget all about the 3"!

And that rear wheel stuff your getting right now is gonna' go far far away! Looks like with that lift, and that amount of rear up-travel, your gonn'a have to cut WAY up the side pannel...Near the top of the radius on the pannel. That's okay though. I think, from the pics, that the trimming should go as high as possible....And if you lower the suspension at all you'll have to loose the bed all together!

--D
I here you about the height. Its just that it is so high now. I think that it has got about 11 inches between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the chassis and all the rear link geometry looks really bad at this height (shit loads of anti squat) the axle would walk for sure.

How much bigger are these bloody tyres gonna be any way. I mean shit, they are only 3in bigger on the radius. Not that big at all

Yea the guy in the passanger seat, I missed that. I think my idiot mate who had the camera must of had the bloody thing up side down, no, hang on, he must of been facing the wrong way.

Sam
__________________
Land Rover SIIa, 302W, NP435, NP205, MOG404s, 42in Swamper TSLs, 112in WB

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4101
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 2,231
Yea I can see the link geometry getting off with the lift, but you might as well do it now, and get those links as long as you can make them (I can't remember if your using the stock mounting locations or not) but if you are, then I'd say move-um forward as far as possible...That 3" "radius addition" is gonna' make you want to stay on the high side.

And next time tell that goofy bastard to get out of the truck when you take a picture!

--D
__________________
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God
 
bubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Member # 3715
Location: Queensland, Australia!
Posts: 2,391
sam i am going to have to come out and see that thing

i didn't know u were on the last logan night run or else i would have spoken do you

so how is it going to be registed
__________________
1994 Toyota Hilux

Budscustoms - Australian Custom Parts & Fabrication
http://www.budscustoms.com.au

Last edited by bubs; 02-20-2002 at 07:21 PM.
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
tomw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member # 9907
Location: Front Range
Posts: 279
Re: Its alive - first outing picts (my back yard)

Quote:
Originally posted by Strange Rover
Well its finally going (sort of)

Still got heaps to do like the transmission tunnel, seats and belts, and finish wiring the lights, run the air lines etc for the lockers and traction control and more fender cutting But when the thing can move under its own steam and I dont have to push it around then I know I am starting to get somewhere.

Anyway heres some picts of my first outing wheeling in my back yard getting it AWN (not really)
Sam
Man! your giving me some sick thoughts about the series

Keep us posted, wait till your tires get here, before you start messing with the height thing or you will be doing it twice ( admitidely, your'e alot fatster than I've ever been on doing mods, although it didn't take long to get my series ready... but not like yours! )

PS:...... wheres your roll cage!!!!!!! Safety and Fun!
__________________
TomW&The Killer Bee
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 08:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7962
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,462
Quote:
Originally posted by RockRover
Yea I can see the link geometry getting off with the lift, but you might as well do it now, and get those links as long as you can make them (I can't remember if your using the stock mounting locations or not) but if you are, then I'd say move-um forward as far as possible...That 3" "radius addition" is gonna' make you want to stay on the high side.

And next time tell that goofy bastard to get out of the truck when you take a picture!

--D
Yea I really should do something with the links. And like you say there is no time like the present.

I think I will go back to taking the photos of my rig myself. I never had this type of trouble before when I held the camera. Its hard to get good help nowadays.

Sam
__________________
Land Rover SIIa, 302W, NP435, NP205, MOG404s, 42in Swamper TSLs, 112in WB

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7962
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,462
Quote:
Originally posted by bubs
sam i am going to have to come out and see that thing

i didn't know u were on the last logan night run or else i would have spoken do you

so how is it going to be registed
I was riding shotgun in Brians Rangie (the big white one with the 36s) and we were travelling with Mick (bobtail Rangie ute with the 35s). Mick came 3rd overall. I think we were behind you.

Should be able to get it certified but not with the tyres (will get it certified with 31s) nor the lift and with extra bumpers and mudflaps.

Come out next week when I got the tyres



Sam
__________________
Land Rover SIIa, 302W, NP435, NP205, MOG404s, 42in Swamper TSLs, 112in WB

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7962
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,462
Re: Re: Its alive - first outing picts (my back yard)

Quote:
Originally posted by tomw


Man! your giving me some sick thoughts about the series

Keep us posted, wait till your tires get here, before you start messing with the height thing or you will be doing it twice ( admitidely, your'e alot fatster than I've ever been on doing mods, although it didn't take long to get my series ready... but not like yours! )

PS:...... wheres your roll cage!!!!!!! Safety and Fun!
Yes I should wait till I get the tyres. Thing is I really want to set the suspension up at the old height with the 36s and do some wheeling so I can work out how the new body handles (with the huge weight reduction and different distribution). Then once I got it working with the old tyres then I would put on the new ones to see the difference they make.

If I go straight to the new tyres with the new body I will be doing two things at once and I wont know how well either of them work.

But the tyres will probably get here too soon and I will just throw them on and that will be the last time I run the 36s and I will never know.


Yes the roll cage is coming. Im going to copy the NAS D90 roll cage (front external and rear internal). I think its a great looking cage. Probably get rid of the roof also and run a soft top. I have to cut the wall at the back of the seat box out cause I want to run bucket seats and there is no room in the cab. The cage will keep the body straight once I remove the rear wall.


Sam
__________________
Land Rover SIIa, 302W, NP435, NP205, MOG404s, 42in Swamper TSLs, 112in WB

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 02:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God
 
bubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Member # 3715
Location: Queensland, Australia!
Posts: 2,391
Quote:
Originally posted by Strange Rover


I was riding shotgun in Brians Rangie (the big white one with the 36s) and we were travelling with Mick (bobtail Rangie ute with the 35s). Mick came 3rd overall. I think we were behind you.

Come out next week when I got the tyres



Sam
Yeah tony told me - i noticed the bobbed ones # plates........ ???


Next weekend saturday maybe - sunday wheeling if i fix mine up this weekend
__________________
1994 Toyota Hilux

Budscustoms - Australian Custom Parts & Fabrication
http://www.budscustoms.com.au
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 05:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Member # 3630
Location: Santa Rosa Ca
Posts: 1,147
85 rocrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 06:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
road1will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Member # 8871
Location: Cleveland Tennessee
Posts: 3,344
Send a message via AIM to road1will
hey sam- about what you were saying about removing the middle wall... that is the new hot mod for series owners here in NE USA. we cut it down so that the top is level with the top of the wheel tubs and have found that it does not hurt the structural rigidity of the body at all when you do this. so just cut it down, put in a functional cage, and dont worry about the bracing of the body.

btw- are you going to paint that thing or leave it the uglyblue

i would suggest either olive drab or Sand with a khaki canvas top from www.BadgerCoachworks.com
road1will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 08:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7962
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,462
Yea thats what I was thinking about the wall.

The thing is now that the chassis is too flexable. When it was crossed up at one point I opened the door to have a look and I couldnt close it when I got back in. The latched missed by about an inch. So I hope that with a cage that it should tighten everything up.

The "house paint blue" colour sux. I was thinking of painting it bright yellow (like the d90s). Not keep on the olive drab theres heaps of them around here although its a good colour for driving in places where you shouldnt be.

I like the idea of the sand colour, sounds good.

Bloody tyres still arnt here. The guy hasent got the rims back from beadlock blook. He reckons he will send them tomorrow. So Im hopeing by the end of the week.



Sam
__________________
Land Rover SIIa, 302W, NP435, NP205, MOG404s, 42in Swamper TSLs, 112in WB

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 07:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Member # 6588
Location: 'Straya....mate
Posts: 7,431
Quote:
Originally posted by Strange Rover
Yea thats what I was thinking about the wall.

The thing is now that the chassis is too flexable. When it was crossed up at one point I opened the door to have a look and I couldnt close it when I got back in. The latched missed by about an inch. So I hope that with a cage that it should tighten everything up.

The "house paint blue" colour sux. I was thinking of painting it bright yellow (like the d90s). Not keep on the olive drab theres heaps of them around here although its a good colour for driving in places where you shouldnt be.

I like the idea of the sand colour, sounds good.

Bloody tyres still arnt here. The guy hasent got the rims back from beadlock blook. He reckons he will send them tomorrow. So Im hopeing by the end of the week.



Sam
yah,m a cage, will stop quite a bit of body flex, you will be very surprised!!

yellow is cool, but there are too many people painting there trucks yellow as it is, i reckon bright pink or safety orange, nah....do whatever colour turns oyu on the most, after all its your truck!!!!

as for the tyres, since ruff hilux, told me about them i have been stopping by here daily to see the pics, and so far i only seen those firestone ones but when you get some do you reckon you could email them to me? fitted to the vehicle that is, not just sitting on the ground?
yeah?
__________________
[COLOR=yellow]Bj on Roids 1970FJ45, Quad Cam V8, Auto, Broken T-case, H-TEC (traction control and cutting brakes) 42 TSLs.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green][URL=http://www.outerlimits4x4.com]Aussie Wheelers Bulletin Board[/URL] [/COLOR]
BJ On Roids is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.