Important: Land Rover Tech Forum check in - Page 11 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #251 (permalink)

Member # 114084
newber checking in
been lurking for some time, lots of good info and smart folk
ex land rover tech, went through their training deal so I might be able to help with late model rover issues.
Just picked up this cute series 1 for $400. Blown headgasket, dirty, stinky, but polished up pretty nice.
My wife drives a new Jeep JK that we use to doodle around Johnson valley area and Glamis/Pismo from time to time.
plans for the disco are lincoln lockers, protection, bumpers, small lift and some good tires, sorry, I mean TYRES

yucky

Look twice for motorcyclists!
Free Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #252 (permalink)

Member # 140670
Newbie checking in

So My name is Lester and I recently defected from the Jeep community. I sold my 90 Cherokee and bought a 96 Disco. Cherokee was lifted 4.5" and was armored and upgraded all around. Did all the work myself. Built my own bumpers and rock gaurds etc. I am a novice welder fabricator and have most of what I need to do most projects. Still saving for the mill and lathe. Probably getting a plasma cutter next. My buddy is really tired of me borrowing his.

Anyways the disco is mostly already done. Just need to fix some of the short cuts the previous owner took. It is sitting at about 5" of lift and has johnny jointed long arms in the back. Old man EMU shocks all around. relocated shock mounts. 33" mud terrains. 4 Hella flood lights, full roof rack. Pitman drop arm and trac bar drop bracket. Heavy duty steering arms. The tie rod has been relocated to behind the wheels. Pretty sure that wasnt the stock configuration. Old Man Emu stabilizer. K&N filter. Lots of goodies. It runs well but really needs to be regeared. I called great Basin Rovers and was blown away at what they wanted for a new set of gears front and back. It was half of what I paid for the Rover. I think it would be cheaper to put a couple of D44's under it. Not really but I dont think I have a grand to drop on gears at the moment. Anyways nice to meet you all and I hope you can answer all my dumb ass questions. Cause I dont know crap about Rovers. Jeremy made me do it.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #253 (permalink)

Member # 21704
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
So My name is Lester and I recently defected from the Jeep community. I sold my 90 Cherokee and bought a 96 Disco. Cherokee was lifted 4.5" and was armored and upgraded all around. Did all the work myself. Built my own bumpers and rock gaurds etc. I am a novice welder fabricator and have most of what I need to do most projects. Still saving for the mill and lathe. Probably getting a plasma cutter next. My buddy is really tired of me borrowing his.

Anyways the disco is mostly already done. Just need to fix some of the short cuts the previous owner took. It is sitting at about 5" of lift and has johnny jointed long arms in the back. Old man EMU shocks all around. relocated shock mounts. 33" mud terrains. 4 Hella flood lights, full roof rack. Pitman drop arm and trac bar drop bracket. Heavy duty steering arms. The tie rod has been relocated to behind the wheels. Pretty sure that wasnt the stock configuration. Old Man Emu stabilizer. K&N filter. Lots of goodies. It runs well but really needs to be regeared. I called great Basin Rovers and was blown away at what they wanted for a new set of gears front and back. It was half of what I paid for the Rover. I think it would be cheaper to put a couple of D44's under it. Not really but I dont think I have a grand to drop on gears at the moment. Anyways nice to meet you all and I hope you can answer all my dumb ass questions. Cause I dont know crap about Rovers. Jeremy made me do it.
Glad to have you here. You can just change the trasfer case gears to get a little better gearing on the highway at least. Get you to the mall and be able to use fourth gear.

Put some pics up of course.

"bigger on the internet"
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #254 (permalink)

Member # 140556
Thumbs up noob checkin in

Hey, names Jeff and i'm a pirate noob. Ive worked on cars and bikes for years and because of a recent beach trip with friends we've all decided to try out the 4x4 thing. There were a few beaches we couldnt get to because none of us had a 4x4 vehicle. So myself and 4 of my friends have a year long challenge to build the best with a 3000 dollar budget, not including any tools, and sound system. hopefully we will be able to drive nearly the whole way from va to nc just on the beach.

I picked up a 89 Rangie classic for 900 bucks, so away we go. im taking care of all the little electric shit before i go crazy on it. i know i dont need really any heavy mods to do a beach run, but whats wrong with a little overkill and some minor offroading/trail riding right?

My other friends are doing an 87 grand wagoneer, 87 k5 blazer, and a first generation 4runner. The others have yet to select a vehicle.
azninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #255 (permalink)

Member # 108294
Checking in

Looking to get into a 110 and doin some research.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
IPSC_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #256 (permalink)

Member # 143437
back in the fold - wtf am i thinking

2 kids under 2, and a gutted bathroom project just started and an OCD wife so I naturally buy a 1995 RRC, with air suspension no less, that needs work since I have so much free time.

This is not going to be a Tellico rig, just a beefy daily driver and duck truck.

I am looking for 02 sensors -heard pathfinder NKG are a cheap wire in option -willsearch.. Are they really the same width/length or do I need to address my tight rover bungholes.. did i just type that.
Jbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #257 (permalink)

Member # 21704
Have fun with it.

AB has the best prices on those? Start a post. Why are you replacing them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbradley View Post
2 kids under 2, and a gutted bathroom project just started and an OCD wife so I naturally buy a 1995 RRC, with air suspension no less, that needs work since I have so much free time.

This is not going to be a Tellico rig, just a beefy daily driver and duck truck.

I am looking for 02 sensors -heard pathfinder NKG are a cheap wire in option -willsearch.. Are they really the same width/length or do I need to address my tight rover bungholes.. did i just type that.

"bigger on the internet"
Old 10-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #258 (permalink)

Member # 88052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbradley View Post

Dont worry. 500 bucks and an afternoon of cussing will get your new coils in.
BigBlueToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #259 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 144332
Send a message via AIM to mdlimy55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
newber checking in
been lurking for some time, lots of good info and smart folk
ex land rover tech, went through their training deal so I might be able to help with late model rover issues.
Just picked up this cute series 1 for $400. Blown headgasket, dirty, stinky, but polished up pretty nice.
My wife drives a new Jeep JK that we use to doodle around Johnson valley area and Glamis/Pismo from time to time.
plans for the disco are lincoln lockers, protection, bumpers, small lift and some good tires, sorry, I mean TYRES
lincoln lockers...
have fun with that

Last edited by mdlimy55; 10-16-2009 at 10:51 AM.
mdlimy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #260 (permalink)

Member # 144558
Just doing the official check-in

My name is Brad Harris and I'm in Golden Colorado (for now). I've been running a 94 D90 for ~3 years. It was converted to a 300tdi by Pendy via the previous owner ~5+ years ago. It's had a few kinks I've had to work through but it usually bounces around on the rocks quite nicely. There are still a few things I'd like to change but I'm trying to go slow and make sure I don't screw anything up too bad. I generally hang out over on the d90 board but it's somewhat more tilted towards preservation rather than banging the crap out of them (with some notable exceptions) so I've been supplementing my research with pirate for some time so I figure I should get off my lazy butt, register and give the obligatory check-in...

Last edited by BLost; 10-20-2009 at 12:58 PM.
BLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #261 (permalink)

Member # 152845
Santiago from Caracas checking in- hi!
Been a fan of LRs since I first saw Daktari... musta have been 1969. Have owned several over the years, and now I seem to be pleasantly stuck with a 88' Series IIa SW named Erica and a still nameless 110 300TDi CSW.

And I do all my work: no accursed mechanic will lay a hand on them

Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #262 (permalink)

Member # 156517
New Guy From IL

Just signed up today, and thought I would check in. Not much of a question asker, more of a lurker. Yes, I know how to use a search button Just bought a 1993 Range Rover. Totaly stock for now, but hoping to do some upgrades soon, after I see what all is out there.

BBC
Billy_Bottle_Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #263 (permalink)

Member # 21704
We will be looking forward to your slant on things RRC BBC

"bigger on the internet"
Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #264 (permalink)

Member # 104996
checking in i guess

i guess this is where i let you know i read the crap about not asking stupid questions. i usually try and rip things apart before going to a board for help. i beat around in a 64 iia 88. just got a 68 iia marshall ambulance. and i got one of them lr3 too cuz the wife won't ride in the others.
[url]http://http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...=1315968633346[url]

Last edited by series iia swb; 05-13-2010 at 11:11 AM.
series iia swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #265 (permalink)

Member # 104996
ok, first stupid question...how do guys get pics into your posts?

Last edited by series iia swb; 03-24-2010 at 07:41 AM.
series iia swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #266 (permalink)

Member # 92363
Checking in

Bobeck checking in. Certified booger-welder. Cut down the shade tree. 6' 1", (6' 3" with afro), Taurus. Romantic at heart-Lover not a fighter. Enjoy cooking, long walks on the beach, bonfires, (actually all fires) and posting false information and inflammatory comments on the internet. Been doing "Rovers" for a while now...I have all kinds of useless information memorized about stuff that I read about people doing on some forum somewhere. So I look forward to answering lots of questions, some correctly, others completely made up.

Ren Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:01 AM   #267 (permalink)

Member # 159605
Check in

Ian checking in. Ex-Pat Brit, finally came over to stay for good here in the US about 8 years ago after wandering for a while. Been abusing Land Rovers for over 20 years and currently clean up the oil stains on 3. 96 and 98 D1s and a 97 D90. Learned to drive in Series trucks but never caught the bug. Always been into Coils (well except lightweights but if I got one i'd probably coil it). D90s are my main 'problem' followed by RRCs and D1s. Settled here in central AZ because its not damp, cold and crowded and I love wheeling here in the SW.
ipgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #268 (permalink)

Member # 21704
You sir

Are under review for membership. Heh Where have you been? Still smoking regularly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Bobeck checking in. Certified booger-welder. Cut down the shade tree. 6' 1", (6' 3" with afro), Taurus. Romantic at heart-Lover not a fighter. Enjoy cooking, long walks on the beach, bonfires, (actually all fires) and posting false information and inflammatory comments on the internet. Been doing "Rovers" for a while now...I have all kinds of useless information memorized about stuff that I read about people doing on some forum somewhere. So I look forward to answering lots of questions, some correctly, others completely made up.

"bigger on the internet"
Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #269 (permalink)

Member # 92363
Thanks Jim. Hope I make the cut. Yeah, I think the Tdi might need a tuneup. See you at Moab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
You sir

Are under review for membership. Heh Where have you been? Still smoking regularly?
Ren Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #270 (permalink)

Member # 161614
Another noobie checking in...
Name is Ben. Dare I associate myself with PT?
Bought, modded, and abused my first rover(93 RRC) a year and a half ago.
It has since joined a pack of wild rovers that live behind PT's shop...
I am currently looking for a cheap Disco that's had a boring life on the road, so that I can treat it the way God intended.
doubleedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #271 (permalink)

Member # 128826
finally getting around to this part!

first of all my name is jason( audience: hi jason) my addiction started 3 yrs ago with what seemed to be a pretty well kept 96 d1 for wifes dd. 1 yr later i think i knew every bolt on that rusted pos. but like other addictions no matter how bad they are for you, you cant stop. now i own two 96d1 both drivers, a 93 lwb,and an87 rrc that is the trail toy. i guess im binging?

Last edited by well; 06-11-2010 at 08:59 PM.
well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #272 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Welcome to the group Jason.

My addiction has gotten so bad that i'm regulalry being threatened with an intervention.

Not to worry though, I'll have draft beer, will invite all of my Rover friends, even the one or two who don't really like me, and an old college friend will be the psychiatrist present.

It'll be a good time!

(I've lost count of the Rovers I have now!)
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #273 (permalink)

Member # 21704
Quote:
Originally Posted by well View Post
first of all my name is jason( audience: hi jason) my addiction started 3 yrs ago with what seemed to be a pretty well kept 96 d1 for wifes dd. 1 yr later i think i knew every bolt on that rusted pos. but like other addictions no matter how bad they are for you, you cant stop. now i own two 96d1 both drivers, a 93 lwb,and an87 rrc that is the trail toy. i guess im binging?
I could use some straight colorado silver body panels if you have not bashed the 87 RRC around to much yet.

Welcome

"bigger on the internet"
Old 09-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #274 (permalink)

Member # 158108
Hi all. Name is Brian. I have been on here for some time now, but over in the Mitsu forms. I have a 98 montero on 33s and other stuff. Any way, I have a chance to pick up my sisters 03 discovery with 82k on it for $5,000 Sister is giving her little brother a hell of a deal I think. Anyway I am looking for the pros and cons of a 03.
brianawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #275 (permalink)

Member # 21704
Hey Brian

Might be a good deal. You should post a thread about it. Talk about what you have noticed about it and I am sure you will get some feedback and advice.

"bigger on the internet"