Important: Land Rover Tech Forum check in - Page 13 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #301 (permalink)

Member # 121139
I've been lurking for a while but finally remembered to register

I've got a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II with 155K miles, New England Crusty undercarriage and my wife's complete disapproval

But I love working on it, luckily and I've made a couple mods. So far, every time I take it out in the woods it surprises me.

Thanks for all the info many of you have posted here. I've used it with good effect and thanks in advance for all the money your going to save me in the future!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #302 (permalink)

Member # 210203
Just checkin in, I`ve had a few Rovers and went and got a 2005 RR HSE,
First off to Canyonlands and rock crawling, its not a hardcore rig but it will do an amazing job .
Its almost like cheating with the traction control and other elex gizmos.

Anyway , interesting to see what some of the rigs and ideas are .
I`m here to learn.
And assist when I can,
Stan
Mrmerlins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #303 (permalink)

Member # 212440
I'm new to the Rover thing, had a Jeep that I built for rock crawling and had another user name but couldn't remember it. I just picked up a 96 p38, has 4.0 tags on it, but the manifold cover says 4.6. The air suspension was all ready swapped out, now it just needs taller springs. It has some issues with the blend doors that I have to sort out.
Wanted to find decent bumpers with having to fab something myself, but all I've found are over a grand... And I have a torch and steel laying around.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fqod2j

Last edited by 96 rover; 02-25-2012 at 04:17 AM.
96 rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 04:16 AM   #304 (permalink)

Member # 212440
So I'm going to start with a couple stupid questions...

The truck is a 96 4.0SE, but the manifold has a big-ole 4.6 on it. Is there a stamp somewhere on this motor to find out the year it was made (I'm assuming it's under the 1/4 inch of oil/grime)?

Since my EAS stuff is gone, can I just yank all the associated crap out from under the hood without getting more dings and whistles from the dashboard every time I turn the thing off and on?

Last edited by 96 rover; 02-25-2012 at 04:17 AM.
96 rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #305 (permalink)

Member # 221858
hey i am just checking in. I have a disco that i just got drivable again. Its been my first project and i have loved working on it now just need to get it on a trail.

My hopes for my rig are to climb suicide hill in Area BFE Moab, have a reliable trail rig and try to keep up with zukijames.

I have the original 4.0 v8 motor, some cab, and some frame left. I run a wish bone three link in the rear with tj coils and fox shocks and radius arms with sway-a-ways in the front. A dana 60 in the front and a 14 bolt in the rear both with 5.13 gears and detroit lockers.

I can wait to see how it does.

madcrawler girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #306 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 rover View Post
So I'm going to start with a couple stupid questions...

The truck is a 96 4.0SE, but the manifold has a big-ole 4.6 on it. Is there a stamp somewhere on this motor to find out the year it was made (I'm assuming it's under the 1/4 inch of oil/grime)?

Since my EAS stuff is gone, can I just yank all the associated crap out from under the hood without getting more dings and whistles from the dashboard every time I turn the thing off and on?
Scrape the crud off the boss where the dipstick goes in. There will be a number. post it, PM me, call me, telepathically send it to me and I'll see what I can do to identify it.

I'm really, really, really busy these days so be patient and keep trying.

(text messages are easy for me to respond to)
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #307 (permalink)

Member # 218273
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
Scrape the crud off the boss where the dipstick goes in. There will be a number. post it, PM me, call me, telepathically send it to me and I'll see what I can do to identify it.

I'm really, really, really busy these days so be patient and keep trying.

(text messages are easy for me to respond to)
Does this help?

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/technici...verengine.html
rwhitmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #308 (permalink)

Member # 232496
hay reporting in

hello been digging around for a bit now and seen a good bit more then i have on my club site and its time to report in

my rig is a 1995 NAS disco 1 been building her for 2 years now just about don
here is the list of things that have been don

2" big blue spring lift 185lb in the front 150lb in the back
custom made snorkel (not pvc) and deep water wading kit
245/75/16/mt
auto trans swop out the the r380 5 speed
custom hiden winch mount with remot mounted control box and cut out
10.000lb hook in the front
RTI score is 650

pics to come as soon as i can post them up
if someone can let me know how to but pics in that wood help. but for now i'll be in the faqs trying to find it my self
ghost05k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #309 (permalink)
Misguided Child

Member # 236445
Hi guys!

If all goes according to plan, I'll be picking up my first LR, a '95 County LWB this Sunday. Well, I should say that my gf will be doing the actual transaction because she and the truck are in CO and I am in NC. I get out of the Marine Corps in April and will be moving to CO at that point. I am not new to Land Rovers, but this (hopefully) will be the first I can actually call my own. My dad had a '98 D1 LE that I learned to drive in, and I've had the bug ever since, the timing just wasn't right. My daily driver is a '99 BMW 740i Sport, but once I get the RR sorted it will take over DD duties. I am an active poster on Bimmerforums, and know how great of a resource places like this can be, so I figured I should sign up.

Glad to be here!
burninator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #310 (permalink)

Member # 236322
I bought a Land Rover with a lockable LT230. It's got a Truetrac and Detroit combination. I snapped a shaft and I think it took out some teeth on the Detroit when the axle unwound. It doesn't unlock. Should I replace the Detroit with parts, a new one, or a Truetrac? I drove it long enough to know the Detroit bangs, and the Truetrac doesn't work sometimes, but not long enough to know what I want.
Trail-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #311 (permalink)

Member # 190008
PBB check-in

Finally got around to this. I drive a 2002 110" td5 currently swapping over to "custom" longarms and coilovers. If I'm not a total tool there should be a pic attached showing what it looked like just before I chopped the a$$ off.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #312 (permalink)

Member # 338066
I probably got the cart in front of the horse when I posted a picture of my current D2 on the picture thread... but here it goes:

I've been lurking this site for a few months now, constantly finding my way back here mostly based on two thread that would show up in my search for a diesel conversion.

I have a 2003 D2, that is currently just sitting in my driveway, taking up space and I plan on performing an OM617 swap at the end of August. I have a TF 2 inch lift, custom coolant Tee pipe, TF diff guards, X-Eng Diff plugs (installed when I changed to 85w140), painted headliner, and a few other little mods, but I mainly just overland and two-track, so I dont need huge amounts of lift or articulation. Plus there isn't much area to offroad here on O'Ahu.

I've been around on DWeb (hardly any contributions though) and LRF.com (under a different username, just about 200 posts).

I've formerly had a 1998 D1, and briefly a 1989 RRC. Both great vehicles, and I don't think I'd want to go very long without a Land Rover.
badmotorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #313 (permalink)

Member # 338705
new guy here but been around the brand a long time. Hope to help out others and learn as well. current project is:
88 classic project
complete Rovertym (RTE) 5" kit
33x12.50x15 good year MTR's
4.6L with cam, full length headers, and flowmaster
Great Basin drive shafts
Lowrance Baja Nav system
currently working on upgrading diffs/axles, caster correctd swivels, and roof rack

Last edited by rovertech001; 07-24-2013 at 01:03 PM.
rovertech001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #314 (permalink)

Member # 357258
have a couple of discos '00/'01
hoping, someone will eventually post something useful on here

Last edited by roy munson; 07-13-2014 at 09:21 PM.
roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #315 (permalink)

Member # 454106
hey there

Hello Land Rover forum. Luke here. I don't have much time to be on the boards but just wanted to register and say hi. I'm sure I've got a few friends out there on Pirate and figured it was high time to join.
Luke - The Shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #316 (permalink)

Member # 57614
Send a message via Yahoo to dagr8tim
I'm going to look at a 96 Discovery tomorrow, and after skimming the 13 pages of this thread I was hoping I'd find some more info. I'm looking for general specs beyond what wikipedia offers. Anyone got any tips on where to search?

I'm hoping to use this as a DD beater for afew months to do some work on my DD XJ, and then either cut it up or build up dedicated trail rig.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #317 (permalink)

Member # 474169
Name is Mike, I have a 95 RRC LWB. I've been with Land Rover for 9 years but just now started to get in to offroading. I'm sure I'll be asking questions and hopefully answering some too.
landrovertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #318 (permalink)

Member # 506393
Rover intro

Hi all,
I am a member of a couple other LR forums and have been lurking on this one for a while, figured its time to register and say hi! So... HI I'm working on a `98 Disco that has most of the usual little problems, head gasket, door and ignition locks, sunroof that don't work right. Planning on pulling the engine and doing a light overhaul so I can drive the truck while gathering and building parts for a Diesel conversion. I have a Mitsubishi Turbo diesel that I think will be a great fit for this vehicle. Should be an adventure. Looking forward to sharing the Rover love. Dach.
Dach Savage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.