Chile Challenge Carnage Report! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2002, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9461
Chile Challenge Carnage Report!

Here is the sequence of events that involved the carnage at the CC.

Day 1:
I break left rear halfshaft while ascending 1st big waterfall on Habanero falls. After quickly replacing the shaft, D90 was backed up slightly and much badness was heard from the rearend (diff or R+P). We pulled both halfshafts, and the rear driveshaft and winched all the rest of the hard spots.

Troy breaks right rear halfshaft on nearly the last obsticle on Broad Canyon with the other group. They cannot fish out the broken end of the shaft and drive it home that way (to be fished out later with a long screw driver, and the metal holder for some of my sockets by Ivor.

After getting my D90 back to the Hotel (about 4PM) we (Malcolm, Ivor, Damien, Bill) take out the broken 3rd member. The ring and pinion is fine but the Detroit is fried inside (can see some metal fragments inside). We then install John P's extra 3rd member with an ARB and 4.1's and put the halfshafts back in, all in less than 1 hour. Because I have no plumbing for air in the back (as I run the front locker off of a single pneumatic switch straight from the CO2 tank), we have to come up with a way to plumb the rear ARB (which was a Detroit). We decide to hard wire the rear ARB to another CO2 tank directly, and just crack the bottle open when the rear locker is needed. There was enough leak in the fitting close to the CO2 tank that it would dissengage shortly after turning off the valve (woohoo better than a switch).

Day2:
John P. breaks his rear 4.1 R+P on the last obsticle on Tabasco Twister. It was a loud crunch under power going up a fall. We pull both shafts and driveshaft. When you rotate the pinion, it looses contact with the ring gear every revolution. We pack it up and head back to the hotel. We come up with the idea that we can take my 4.1 gears from the blown Detroit and install them in his diff with the broken R+P. The Irish boys expertly disassemble the rear end when we get back and KC installs the detroit's 4.1 gears in John's broken 3rd member (man we need KC along on all these trips). KC sets the gears up by hand (just like they do at the LR dealership apperantly!) and John is good to go the next day.

Day3:
Troy breaks the left rear halfshaft while climbing Nemesis 2 on Patzcuero's Revenge (which only John P. made up unassisted). It is broken very close to the differential and standard extended magnets will not reach it. We then duct tape the magnet to the end of a big ass screwdriver and Damien expertly removes the broken shaft, and then replaces it all in about 10 minutes.

KC finds out that his oil pressure gauge is now an "oil suspended" gauge. There is a big leak that has leaked a bunch of oil down behind the inst. panel. He cuts out a small piece of aluminum can and makes a makeshift plug/washer, and fixes it.

Day4:
No breaks to speak of. We remove John P's 3rd member from my D90 so he can take it back home.

Anyway, this event was a testament to the fellowship of LandRover owners and drivers pulling together and making sure everyone was able to enjoy the entire event. Spares and tools were shared by all (mostly borrowed by me!). It was a great experience made even more fun with the nightly extracurricular activities.

Blister
FrankenRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9448
Re: Chile Challenge Carnage Report!

Quote:
Originally posted by BillnSandi

It was a great experience made even more fun with the nightly extracurricular activities.

Blister
Extracurricular huh? Was there any talent to be found down there after hours?
Fear Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2002, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4749
Send a message via AIM to Rover Addiction
Don't forget the 4"x6" hole in the sidewall of an SSR on day 2! Yes, I can stick my arm all the way into the tire!

I'm going to take it to Les Schwab tonight and see if they'll honor their roadhazard warrantee.

Pics of my carnage to come soon.

-John
Old 02-27-2002, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9497
I also had a great time at the CC, even though I was with LR's only two of the three days I ran. I have to say that the LR's did me proud. I also have to say that this is the first time that I didn't feel that I got my fill of 4x4ing at the CC. Next year I plan to run exclusively extreme trails. No more Mr. nice guy.

Rich Hills
rhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4749
Carnage!!!

Here's my carnage!!!

Ring gear

Swamper SSR

And another look at that poor swamper!

Bill, let's see yours!!!!
Carnage, that is!
Don't even think it, Merv!

-John
Old 02-28-2002, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9859
Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Bill,

Any idea what may have caused the Detroit to break?

Ali
alia176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9396
Re: Carnage!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rover Addiction
Here's my carnage!!!
And another look at that poor swamper!

Bill, let's see yours!!!!
Carnage, that is!
Don't even think it, Merv!

-John
Hey! I'm not the one with the hole in his rubber!

Warning, spellchecker is switched off, gramma may be errotic.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9817
SSR's -

i only have (close) 2nd hand info, but i'd say get rid of those things and put on some TSL's, SX's, or MT/R's. Same goes for TSL Radials. They seem to either get popped or sidewall bubble pretty bad in the NW. The problem with those SX's to me is that they're often too wide.

I think if you're driving the rig to the event, it would pay to get a small closed trailer to haul a 2nd set of tires,more spares, and additional tools.

some of you prolly already do -

just my .02 -

isaac
Old 02-28-2002, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4749
Ouch, Merv!!

Anyway, I'd love to go to SXs, but they're not available in the size that I have in SSRs. I'll probably do more research and trimming and re-consider for the next round.

I love the MT/Rs, but at $450 per tire, I think I'll wait when I can get SSRs with the road hazzard for half that price.

And yes, I did bring a full set of 5 spare 35" MT/Rs to the event in case I had trouble. Didn't end up needing them though I did carry one for a spare after tearing up that SSR. In the bed of my pick-up/tow rig, I also had an air compressor, a spare 3rd member, several axles and driveshafts, assorted fluids, and many other spares. I ended up using only some of the parts that I had with me.

Between the tires, I've found that I love the MT/Rs and they perform extremely well on everything. We'll see how my 35" MT/Rs do over time on my other rig and maybe I'll move up to the 37" size later.

SXs are absolutely awesome and for an off-road tire, I think they can't be beat. You can groove them, sipe them, beat the crap out of them, and you really don't need to carry a spare. Can't beat that!! For my next set of tires, I'm going to look long and hard at making a set of those fit under my D90. I may have to go down to the 36" size, but I'd rather do 38.5" for the clearance. Unfortunately, It seems that going that large will be exceeding the limits of the suspension on my D90 as well as requiring me to trim important things like footwells and fuel fillers. I'm really not sure I'm ready to do that yet. And I'm also already breaking things related to turning those big tires. Larger and heavier may not be what I need.

-John

Last edited by Rover Addiction; 02-28-2002 at 01:55 PM.
Rover Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 9448
John I run the 36-12.50 SXs which I grooved myself and love them. If I knew of a place to do siping I'd like to try that on them too. I run them on 8" MRT 36 bolt wheels, I like the profile it gives the tire.
Fear Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 08:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 9497
I agree, sx's are great tires. One of my buddies replaced his ssr's with sx's after tearing two side walls on one trip. He claims that it has the same traction (he runs bead locks at 4 psi) as the ssr's. Another buddy (Jeff Wood - he lead one of the LR Extreme trails) just went from 37" MTR's to 38.5" SX's. He claims the traction is much better with the SX's . I have seen him crawl stuff with the SX's that he had to use momentum with on his MTR's.

By the way, the SSRs seem to get more puncture resistent with age. I have had mine for several years and have had to replace only one. Even so, I will probably go to SX's simply so that I don't have to carry a spare.

Rich
rhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 4749
Yup.. sounds like a plan. SXs will go on my D90 eventually. I actually have a siped set of 36x12.50 SXs on my beater truck with the thought that they could fit on my D90 if I get fed up with my SSRs. Otherwise, I might have to see what I can do to get the 38.5" SXs to fit.

-John