Rancho RS9009 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2002, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10313
Rancho RS9009

Anybody ever try RS9009's on stock LR front ends (I.E. no hinged arms or 3-links) ? Looks like about 2" longer travel then Emu's with compressed length of only 15.7" (vs 14.5 for Emu).

I really don't like Rancho shocks but it's a cheap alternative until I find the best way to get the front shocks outside the spring on my Disco I. When that happens, I'll go short body B-steins...

keith
discosaurus
Discosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
welcome newbie

I run Rancho 9234 on my RTE 3"

I needed to make a simple adapter for the eye style end. The adapter is only 2.00 per side!

My front Ranchos are just fine. the rear is a different story.

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2002, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Way

Member # 9428
I am not sure why you would want to move your shock outside of the spring, if you do not want to go with a better articulating front suspension set-up (e.g. 3-link/hinged arms/etc). If you move the shock outside, it is likely that you will be needing to retain the front springs. I still run the shock inside of the spring, with a hinge on the lower mount and have more articulation (with 3-link) than any other rover out there IMHO.

Regardless, MJLee offers the best set up. Rockware offers a replacement shock tower (not on website as to my knowledge) have to ask for it, Rubicon express offers stud to eye converters that you can bolt into your vehicle for cheap and then run eye to eye shocks. Safarigard makes a bolt on tube thing that moves the shock outside just like the MJlee, but it has been known to break a LOT. KC Carpenter makes some nice mounts as well. His web site is never summer off road, or something close to that. You could also go to a weld/fab shop and get a more standard hoop style shock mount with two flanges on the end with a 90 degree bend and mount the flanges to the side of the frame rail. The MJlee has a lower mount in the kit and allows you to run a shock inside and out (progressive shock set up). This is the best mount by far IMHO.

The difficulty you will face is making a lower external shock mount. There is a website called www.aa-mfg.com that makes over 400 brackets that will fit a variety of radius bends etc. You could order a 3 dollar bracket and have a shop weld it for a lower mount prior to mounting your shocks, drive home and them bolt on your new upper mounts. Just a thought. Hope this helps. I can send a few pics of my front internal shock mounts if you are interested. Send me your email address.

Adam Way

P.S. Good luck with the mod.
Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 10313
hehehe - just like old times on Discoweb, 'eh Scout

Adam, yes, I know it wouldn't make sense with the stock front suspension. I'm still holding out hope that John at RT will have a new front system one of these days. For various reasons, I don't want to run either the current 3-link design or hinged arms.

I'm simply looking for a little more front articulation. I'm pretty much OME shock limited right now on drop with the older (longer?)OME764 front springs. I'm going to transition to the RT SP2 front springs which will bottom the shocks even more.

The issue with stud v ring on the springs is minor.

Thanks all - nice to see a Rover board where one can discuss more 'out there' mods without getting flamed !

keith
discosaurus
Old 02-27-2002, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10313
The issue with stud v ring on the springs is minor.

Sorry, I mean on the shocks...
Old 02-27-2002, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Way is right on about AA MFG for parts. I use a shit load of there stuff !

Three of there shock mounts here:

One more for the upper rear mount:

and one more for the lower rear mount! There only 1.65 ea!

BUY MY BOAT
Old 02-28-2002, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9859
Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Keith,

I'm running RS9234s all around, although I don't really take advantage of all travel on the front....yet.

Ali
alia176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9056
Send a message via Yahoo to RVR OVR
ok, i can't find the sizing chart on the ranch web site anymore that just lists shock lengths and stuff w/out the applications to specific vehicles.

can somebody help me out with a link here.
RVR OVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally posted by RVR OVR
ok, i can't find the sizing chart on the ranch web site anymore that just lists shock lengths and stuff w/out the applications to specific vehicles.

can somebody help me out with a link here.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bible/SHOCKLENGTH.xls

Got excel?

BUY MY BOAT
Old 03-01-2002, 10:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 9859
Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Oldscout,

do you have any p/ns for those stuff from AA MFG? I think I found couple of them on the website but wasn't sure.

Thanks.

ali
alia176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally posted by alia176
Oldscout,

do you have any p/ns for those stuff from AA MFG? I think I found couple of them on the website but wasn't sure.

Thanks.

ali
AA-244A

BUY MY BOAT
Old 04-05-2002, 08:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11072
So what Rancho shock would you all recommend then for a Non 3-Link, stock front end on a Rangie with +2 springs? I have the stud to eye converstion down, but I don't know if I want to use retainers in the front. I have the Rockware cones in the back, and I am only really looking do get the front droop back after the heavier spring install.

Thanks in advance for all y'alls help!

metal furniture | fabrication | decor
new | rustic | recycled
redrangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 10:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Way

Member # 9428
How about you cycle your suspension. Every rig is different and by cycling the suspension you will know exactly how to maximize you travel. Do you want the shock to limit travel? If so get a shcok the will fully extend just prior to the spring getting loose. If you are willing to run limiting straps, have the shock collapse where you need it to and then strap the front end.

Way
Way is offline   Reply With Quote