Weekend Update -- Those Who Were At The Badlands - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 22182
Weekend Update -- Those Who Were At The Badlands

So, Darkstar et al, how was the weekend? Any tweaking of the toy diffs necessary?
Old 07-24-2005, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
Gotta rotate the rear axle up. that low pinion is a ROCK PLOW. Needless to say, nothing broke, but I stopped pushing hard after I realized what I was doing with that rear pinion flange. Also, I was able to crawl up stuff easier than before thanks to the lower gearing (4.88 instead of 4.1) and the front ARB (instead of truetrac). Hopefully when I shorten the trailing arms my tires won't get into my rear doors. I've trimmed the doors pretty much as short as possible already. If I have to move the axle back, it will have to wait, and just let the tires rub for now (they won't get cut, I wrapped the door skin around, so there is a nice rounded edge there. I swore to myself that the next suspension will be coilovers, and that is just not in the budget now.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24981
"Hopefully when I shorten the trailing arms my tires won't get into my rear doors. I've trimmed the doors pretty much as short as possible already. " Shortening arms will pull axle closer to doors. I took a RTE A arm extension a redrilled it. The new holes rotated the diff up without moving wheels forward in wheel well. JP
oilinjector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2005, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
lwg

Member # 12044
Send a message via MSN to lwg
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar
Gotta rotate the rear axle up. that low pinion is a ROCK PLOW.
I hear ya! I still haven't fixed mine. I'll do it some day I suppose. Why don't you just build your own A-Arm extension? It will cost you about 20 bucks in steel. Basically a little channel and some box steel and Booya! I think I had to make the channel out of box steel, but it wasn't really difficult.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
I imagine if I was running 37s, I may put it off a while also that extra inch of ground clearance would make all the difference here...

As far as the a-arm extension--you say you made yours out of box and angle--do you think the box is sufficiently strong in this application? it looks like rovertym is machining theirs from solid steel.

It is a super simple design though...Do you know the size off hand? Its 6:30 AM and I don't feel much like measuring anything right now.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 10313
Quote:
It is a super simple design though...Do you know the size off hand? Its 6:30 AM and I don't feel much like measuring anything right now.
I have a brand new Rovertyme extension sitting here right now - what do you want to know about it ??
Old 07-25-2005, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15296
I installed the RTE extension on Thursday. It was drilled in two places so that we can adjust accordingly, the most straight of positions for the pinion resulted in the rear springs arching somewhat and therefore they were rubbing extensively on the cones, so it had to go to the less setting, the pinion is MUCH better nevertheless.

I'm going 4 link front and rear in September, also 90% chance that i'll be taking the whole body off and tube the truck fully - sick of trashing about body panels
Old 07-25-2005, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
is the top part made out of solid steel, or box? how much extension is it made for? wanna part with it?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 10313
Quote:
is the top part made out of solid steel, or box? how much extension is it made for? wanna part with it?
* Solid chunk with .375" ears welded on both sides for the ball joint casting - beef+

* 3/4" extension

* no - it's gotta go on the truck if I ever want it to leave my driveway again
Old 07-25-2005, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
Well, I went ahead and spent more $$$ and ordered the extension, as well as some wedge shaped spring spacers from Rovertym. That should allow plenty of rotation of the rear axle, and my springs should still be vertical, instead of arc shaped. Its only money I guess.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 10313
Quote:
Its only money I guess.
That's the spirit !

I told your wife that your truck would soon be riding on Mog axles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.