Horrible Experience with MRT BEADLOCKS---beware - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2002, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Way

Member # 9428
Horrible Experience with MRT BEADLOCKS---beware

I purchased 5 MRT Beadlocks for my vehicle about a year and a half ago. Ended up that the aluminum ones that they had for my rare bolt pattern, ended up breaking almost immediately after I purchased them. I only used them off-road and literally split the rims the first time out. I have been working with MRT for the last 8 months on a warranty. They have been out of materials and out of the rims that I would like as warranty replacements. However they promised me that they would make the situation right by trading me a pair of steel rims for my aluminum rims.

They told me to hold onto my rims, and not to send them in. They said that they were worried that they would misplace them and that it would be best to send them in when the rims I wanted in return were in stock. I dealt with a gentleman named Lloyd there. He was the manager at that time. About 1 month ago I was told that they were expecting the shipment in, in a few days and to call him then so we could reach a resolution. Well I called on the day I was suppose to and found out the Lloyd no longer works there (fired), and that the original owner of the company Lyle Marsh bought back the company. In the past 8 months Lloyd never mentioned that the company was changing owners or that there would be any problems at all.

I spoke with Lyle Marsh a few minutes ago to find out that he doesn’t even know what rock crawling is and that his rims aren’t designed for that application. Any rims sold in the last four years will not be warranted or replaced. What I found the most bizarre about his conversation was that he called the previous company that purchased his original company a bunch of crooks that lied, cheated and stealed, to sell wheels. He told me of numerous accounts of credit card fraud and other criminal activities. Figured I would post this message and carbon copy it to Marsh Racing so that the company despite the owner change, will stand behind there word. I will keep the list posted of any resolutions that may come of it. Who knows what will happen with the company. I gave him the number for Big Rock video so that he would know what rock crawling was and that maybe he can get a clue as to what people are buying his rims for. Maybe the end result will be a better product, but until then, I highly recommend avoiding this company all together. Maybe Lyle Marsh will stand up to his frequent line “I am a person that conducts my business with integrity”. I feel that if that was the case than he would stand behind the companies promises. After all employees are representatives of the company. We will see if after he gets this email that he still feels that I am not his problem to deal with!

Way
Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9448
Well I wasn't too happy with them either for a while but all has worked out. I talk to Chuck down there he seems to be a manager. I sent him a rover hub so that they could get their bolt pattern right. My only complaints were the threaded inserts had powder coat in some of them and had to be replaced and some of the inserts had no threads at all! Once i remanufactured them they have worked very well though and i wouldn't be without them.
Fear Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2002, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Re: Horrible Experience with MRT BEADLOCKS---beware

Quote:
Originally posted by Way
I spoke with Lyle Marsh a few minutes ago to find out that he doesn’t even know what rock crawling is and that his rims aren’t designed for that application.
Way
Adam, I'm with you, but I just have a hard time believing that a company owner, with a web-site called http://www.mrtrockcrawlers.com doesn't have a clue as to what rock-crawling is. Albeit a small percentage of their total sales, I'm sure it's significant...Just about every-other rig with bead-locks I've seen has MRT's. If Lyle seriously hasn't a clue as to what rock-crawling is, then he's the WRONG man to be running the company.

I do agree that the first batch of MRT aluminum (and especially the carbon-fiber) locks were total crap for anything but desert racing (and even that I'm not sure of).

SG Greg and I had a friendly wager going at the Crested Butte Solihull National Rally a couple of years ago. We were to race across a huge spoil pile left by hundreds of 10 yard end dump loads...Looked like a monster mogul field...Anyway, we raced…I won...Twice. He couldn't believe it, and on the second race he was really hammering it...We were neck and neck the just about the entire 200 yard run. Then I heard a very loud PSSSSSTTTT coming from Gregs yellow sub. I thought I had him for sure, but he kept on the throttle. I did beat him by about 1/2 a car length at the end, but then I saw what caused his loss of air pressure...He folded his MRT aluminum lock about 3 inches (on the inner bead). Mind you this was just on 10' high dirt moguls...I can't imagine what would have happened on a hard-pack surface.

I've heard nothing but good things from their steel locks however.

--D
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9461
Here was my experience with MRT:

I originally order 5 of their 3 piece aluminum beadlocks (18 bolt) about 3 years ago. I recieved them about 1 week after ordering. I put on some SSR's in the 35x14.5" variety and went out for a drive. About 2 or 3 blocks from my house a heard 4 or 5 pops coming from the front right tire and it went flat. I initially thought the beadlock had failed, but notice that 5 bolts had broken on the inner "center" that holds the 3 piece wheels together. I called MRT demanding my money back. They asked me what could they do to keep my buisness, and I told them to build me some all steel 36 bolt beadlocks for the D90. After waiting about 6 months for them to come in, they were dropped of by ups and I have been using them since. They custom made the centers out of flat plate. And these were the first of their initial run of steel wheels for the 5 on 6.5 bolt pattern. I had to kick them on the first time as the holes for the lugs were very slightly off, but now they go on and off easily.

When I dealt with MRT they seemed trustworthy and straightforward, but they really dragged their feet on the delivery of the steelies. I dealt with Woody mostly, but several others as well.

I would not recommend using the MRT aluminum 3 pieces with big tires on the D90. The beadlock works fine, but the center bolts can fail. Some have had okay usability with the aluminums like Greg J., but I wouldn't touch them now.

My steel 36 bolts work perfectly, and I have bashed the crap outta them. Only broke off one bolt since owning them, and that was knocked off by a rock.

If I had it all to do over again, I would get some GCR rims, or have Stockton make some wagon wheels without beadlocks (as their 18 bolt design breaks off bolts), and send them to MRT to have the 36 bolt beadlocks welded on. Or if someone can source some reasonably priced aluminum wheels (not the MRT's) and send them to Champion for some 24 bolt beadlocks.

Blister
FrankenRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10696
Send a message via AIM to dcrover90 Send a message via Yahoo to dcrover90
Unhappy

I've had a bad experience with MRT too. They promise the world and then ship out the wrong order. My wheels haven't broken yet. Guess it's just a matter of time. I'll just keep going over all 20000 bolts with a torque wrench every other day untill it all falls apart.
dcrover90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Send a message via AIM to road1will
screw MRT- www.rockstomper.com

send him your steelies, they will come out better and stronger, and he stands behind his shit.
road1will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4749
Send a message via AIM to Rover Addiction
I've been thrilled with my Stockton wheel beadlocks. 15x10 with 4.25" backspacing, 18 bolt rings. They're seriously beefy, fit right the first time, don't leak, and I've scraped the crap out of them and even wedged them into rocks and they've come out fine. The centers are 3/8" plate with vent holes, so I have no doubt they're strong.

Yes, I have broken a few of the individual bolt heads off, but that was mostly from ripping the heads off on rocks. I occasionally lose one in the snow when aired way down, but I haven't had any safety problems due to losing one bolt and I just carry spares. I've posted pictures before and I'll have to take some more now that they're scraped, but the rings are stepped with a lower center and wider outer so they center the tire and don't cone like the flat plate rings.

-John