37x12.50-15 Goodyear MT/Rs to hit retail market - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2002, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Way

Member # 9428
37x12.50-15 Goodyear MT/Rs to hit retail market

Found this on another list on this site. Figured I would post it here as it is already burried in the other list.

Way

---SNIP----
TOPEKA, Kan., March 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In a dramatic move into ``extreme'' vehicle niches, Goodyear announced today that its Wrangler MT/R sizing is expanding into 37-inch tire sizes in 15-inch-wheel diameters.

Company officials said the much-anticipated 37x12.50R15 LT tire will be available at retailers nationwide in April.

Manufacturing such a large tire in Topeka, the most ``extreme'' U.S. Goodyear plant, was part of the plan when the Wrangler MT/R was first introduced two years ago. The Topeka plant began manufacturing large earthmover tires, known as OTR tires, in the 1980s.

These massive OTR tires -- some approaching 10 to 12 feet high -- are used on dump trucks, mobile cranes, scrapers, dozers, loaders and motor graders and in mine service and port container handling.

Topeka also produces medium radial truck tires for use on tractor-trailer rigs.

The most requested size from off-road enthusiasts is the 37x12.50R15 LT Wrangler MT/R tire, which helped win the championship at the Goodyear/Skyjacker Extreme Rock Crawling Nationals last year, according to Mark Cherveny, product manager for light-truck tires.

A pre-production 37-inch size for the rock-crawling series was made at Goodyear's Technical Center in Akron, Ohio. The 2002 series begins March 15 in Farmington, N.M.

``As the sport of off-roading grows and evolves, enthusiasts are asking for larger tires. Not long ago, the 31x10.50R15 LT and 33x12.50R15 LT tires were considered large. Now the 35- and 37-inch tires are in demand.

``The Wrangler MT/R tire is perfect for ultra-sizing, given its puncture- resistant Durawall sidewall technology and its ultra-durability on the rocks,'' Cherveny said.

The Wrangler MT/R (maximum traction/reinforced) all-season off-road tire features the breakthrough patented Durawall sidewall construction that contains a high-tech silica compound and three polyester plies for outstanding cut-, tear- and puncture-resistance.

Topeka plant officials credited teamwork with getting the new Wrangler MT/R size into production. One of the first issues to tackle, according to Eugene Cooke, radial truck tire business center manager, was to find equipment to build a 15-inch tire -- small by Topeka standards.

Twenty Wrangler MT/R tire sizes now are available in 15-, 16- and 17-inch wheel diameters. While the bulk of the sizes are made at the company's facility in Fayetteville, N.C., the largest Wrangler MT/R 37x12.50R17 LT size is made in Topeka for Hummer military and civilian vehicles.

SOURCE: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020304/clm009_1.html
--SNIP---
Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Yea, but at what cost? I know a D90 owner that paid $425 EACH (37 x 17)

A 44" bogger can be had for $375...Just doesn't make sense to me...

--D
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2002, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Way

Member # 9428
My theory of what the price will be

I guessing that as supply meets with demand (gotta love economics) the price will stabalize. I am guessing since they are a corporation they will produce at Q* (point where Marginal revenue equals marginal cost or easily stated--the most profitable point). This quantity will then match the point that is on the demand curve. Seeing how most corporations are greedy they will probably charge the maximum price they can get for the tire.

However, the point I am trying to make with all of this is that in order to sell the quantity they need for the tire to be profitable for mass distribution, the price will have to be substantially lower than it is now. I don't know too many people that want a $2500 tire package. 35 x 12.50 go for around $250 each (street price). Cost analysis shows that for every 2" increase in diameter the price increases by $40 dollars. As the tire gets larger the quantity demanded gets lower thus pushing the price up. I would guess that the cost will be closer to $325. This would coincide with good marketing strategy as a good price point to penetrate the market (easy Merve).

Well although not all that 4x4 related, this should hold up to the lists technical expectations

Confused yet!

Way
Old 03-08-2002, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8122
Dude- who is paying $250 a tire street price and for what 35" tire? I paid less than $170/tire for 35" MT/Rs. Maybe a few tires or brands, but I'd hardly say $250 is the norm.

Johnathan
Jtisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Way

Member # 9428
Well, maybe the prices are different in your area. I know Durango prices are a lot higher on average, but wow that is a huge difference. I usually buy tires on road trips to populated areas, but that is the local price. If I remember correctly baja claws cost a pretty penny as well.

Way