'87 Range Rover? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2002, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7712
'87 Range Rover?

Just looking for a little information on Range Rovers. I am looking at buying an '87 that has about 60k miles. I have always liked Rovers but I don't know much about them. I have only seen pictures of this thing and it is clean and rust free. I'm pretty sure it has a 3.? liter aluminum v-8 and an auto trans. I would like this rig to be a second mode of transportation and mild wheeler. The guy wants 6 grand for it. Is it worth it? What should I look for as far as problem areas related to this vintage? I know there was a recall on the fuel pump and that has been fixed. Should I stay away from the first year these things were sold here? Hell, I don't even know what axles this thing has. Are lockers available? The guy will hold it for me until the end of March so I have some time to ponder the decision. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
6K seems high to me. 4.5k to 5k would were I think the ACV should would land. The axles are only 10 spline and won't handle to much wheeling. Check the lift gate there are few rust free ones!

Here are a few off of e-bay to compare to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1812187357

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1811755207

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1811733317

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1811308314

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2002, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7712
Man, do I feel like a dumbass. I never even thought to look at ebay. I looked on traderonline and the prices were a little higher there. Thanks for input. It will be good ammo to drive the price down. So the axles are only 10 spline? What the hell? Does anyone know what kind of mileage these things get? Are they dependable or will one of these things nickle and dime me to death? I just need another vehicle (preferably something "different") to drive daily so I don't have to rack up miles on my gas hog big block Suburban. Any info would be appreciated. Will this thing be more of a pain in the ass then it's worth? Thanks
Old 03-12-2002, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8803
I am the proud new owner of a 1990 Rover and I love mine, but mine is a weekend vehicle. If you want gas mileage then you are looking at the WRONG vehicle. My drinks gas worse than my 2002 Suburban 2500 with the big engine. I'm not kidding. I get better gas mileage in that beast. As far as dependable goes, it either is or it isn't. You either get one that will run forever without a problem or one that you will have to work on everyday. Check out past maintence records to see how much work you will have to do in the future.
Even with all of the quirks and problems, they are still a blast to drive and awesome off road. Even with a lift, mine still will cruise down the interstate at 80mph without a problem.
I bought mine, mint condition with 90k miles, for 7 grand and I think I got an okay deal. I might have paid a little more but I got a really clean rig.
Good luck with the new rig.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 7755
1. It is likey a rusty POS, check the sills, inner fenders, liftgate
2. The 3.5 engine is a DOG
3. 87 no cruise control

7k is WAY too much

For 7k I will sell you my 1988 with a new 4.0 long block installed. It already has a new LT230.

In reality the 87 is worth 4k tops. Low mileage does not help much. Unless it has had a full engine reseal it probably leaks like a sceen door on a submarine.

Ron
Old 03-13-2002, 04:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8803
If 7k is too much then I will buy your for 4k. Where do you want me to send the check?
Old 03-13-2002, 05:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7712
evilfij: According to the owner, this thing is rust free. It came from Florida within the last couple years. That is the only way anything made in '87 is rust free up here. The owner also said it is somewhat of a dog, nothing down low. You are correct about the leaks, he said it leaves it's mark after it has been driven for a while. What typically leaks on these things, oil pan, rear main, tranny, t-case? Or all of the above?

As far as mileage goes, I really don't care, I just thought if it got better mileage than the burby it would be easier to sell the wife on buying it.

So here is the next question. Is there a Land Rover model and year that is better (performance, ease of mods, etc.) that can be had for around $6k? Are the newer Range Rovers better? Sorry for all of the lame questions but only yuppies drive Rovers around here and I have never even ridden in one. Hell, I've never owned a foriegn vehicle.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally posted by blazbrnc

So here is the next question. Is there a Land Rover model and year that is better (performance, ease of mods, etc.) that can be had for around $6k?
You can get a 94-95 Disco for ~6k. It will have a better T/C and stronger axles, more aftermarket support of off road stuff.A 3.9L engine and a much better auto box.

Quote:

Are the newer Range Rovers better? Sorry for all of the lame questions but only yuppies drive Rovers around here and I have never even ridden in one. Hell, I've never owned a foriegn vehicle.
There is nothing cheap about Land Rovers and yes 99% of them never see any kind of wheeling. Are you sure you want to start with a foriegn mut of a truck. The engine is a old buick, the trans is German and the axles and T/C are limey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1812692034
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1811310562

BUY MY BOAT
Old 03-13-2002, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7712
Damn Old Scout you're really hooking me up here. I appreciate it. I just talked to the owner of the '87 RR and showed him the e-bay adds you posted earlier. This guy is a salesman (gear cutting tools) so it felt pretty good telling him he needed to sharpen his pencil on something besides tools. I love that 5 speed Disco you just posted and I would be all over a stick if my wife knew how to drive one. Both of those have over 100k miles. Are they good for another 100k if they had good maintenance history? This thing will start off as a weekend/occaisional work rig that I'm sure will turn into a wheeler at one point.
I don't mind buying a mut of a truck. All of the wheelers I have now are pieced together bastards. I'm pretty sure just like everything else on 4 wheels these things will accept a sb chevy.
The reason I am interested in LRs is because I work in the auto industry. Anything from the Asian market is a definate no-no. A lot of the parking lots say "no foreign vehicles can enter this lot". Most of these po-dunks don't even know what Land Rover is.
I'm still not sure if I like the looks of the Disco's though.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:

I'm still not sure if I like the looks of the Disco's though.
Just cover it up with some bolt on junk
Attached Images

BUY MY BOAT
Old 03-13-2002, 09:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Send a message via AIM to road1will
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Scout

Just cover it up with some bolt on junk
hey thats my local dealerships guys drivin that thing. im going to work for them this summer as a gopher
road1will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 7712
Sweet bolt ons! Are those stickers readily available too? I bet that stuff if really affordable too. Thanks for all of the info man. Time to do some looking.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Quote:
Sweet bolt ons! Are those stickers readily available too? I bet that stuff if really affordable too. Thanks for all of the info man. Time to do some looking.
let me help ya out

www.rovertym.com- kick ass shiat, especially bumpers
www.safarigard.com- nice suspension stuff, killer rear bumper
www.expeditionexchange.com- the discoweb bitches own this, but still some nice stuff
www.eastcoastrover.com -- shop that does nice work
www.rockware.net- nice bumpers and AWESOME custom work
www.greatbasinrovers.com-- drivetrain upgrades
www.google.com (to search for more )

also www.DiscoWeb.org if youre feeling like a yuppie, grab a cappucino and log on

Last edited by road1will; 03-13-2002 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 7712
Hey 9-volt. Thanks for the info and all but I was kinda being sarcastic. I try to shy away from the bolt-ons. Stickers, well I've heard they add at least 10hp but I still haven't seen any proven facts. I guess I'm just more of a spray bomb paint, hacked fenders kinda guy. Don't get me wrong though dude, I fully appreciate all of the info this post has given me. It's already saved me a couple grand. And you know what, I probably will buy some stuff from the places you listed (suspension, lockers).
I'm just asking some questions before I jump feet first into a money pit. I've got enough of those.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Quote:
Hey 9-volt. Thanks for the info and all but I was kinda being sarcastic. I try to shy away from the bolt-ons. Stickers, well I've heard they add at least 10hp but I still haven't seen any proven facts. I guess I'm just more of a spray bomb paint, hacked fenders kinda guy. Don't get me wrong though dude, I fully appreciate all of the info this post has given me. It's already saved me a couple grand. And you know what, I probably will buy some stuff from the places you listed (suspension, lockers).
I'm just asking some questions before I jump feet first into a money pit. I've got enough of those.
well then the land rover crowd needs more people like you. the only things that will cost you a lot of money then is all the little shit that breaks all the time and is a PITA to diagnose. like wondow motors, switches, and wiring. land rover parts ARE expensive, and dont expect toyota-like reliability.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 8803
I want to know where everyone is buying these '95 Discoverys for $6000? If you know where any are I will buy everyone you can send me. Around where I live they are not getting any cheaper than about 8 to 10 grand. So if you have a '95 Disco for 6 grand send it to me.
Some people say they are that cheap on Ebay but you have to look to see how many are SELLING at 6 grand. Not the final price, but the selling price. You have to watch Ebay close or it can be misleading.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 7712
The plot thickens....
Old 03-13-2002, 02:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 8803
I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I was being serious. I am a used car dealer (hobby on the side) and I mean it. If you can find '95 Disco's for 6grand that aren't super high milers or come from the rust belt, I'll buy them. I'll buy them all. Maybe in California or Oregon or Jersey cheap Discos are a dime a dozen and if they are contact me, I'll buy them, we ship them here and we both can start making about 3 to 4 grand a week.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 7755
Go to some auctions man.

94-96 discos with 100k+ are right in that range.

Oh course they are leaky POSes

Oldscout. All rovers have esentially the same slushbox 87 RR to 99 Disco I

If it were me I would try to find a 95 auto disco for 6k.

The R380 is a POS -- AND has major spline wear issues due to the LT230 not having sufficient oiling there until they installed a cross drilled input shaft.

Ron
Old 03-13-2002, 10:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally posted by evilfij

Oldscout. All rovers have esentially the same slushbox 87 RR to 99 Disco I

I was under the impression that a RR came with a 727 in the early years and then a ZF HP22

BUY MY BOAT
Old 03-13-2002, 11:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally posted by tblackj
I want to know where everyone is buying these '95 Discoverys for $6000? If you know where any are I will buy everyone you can send me. Around where I live they are not getting any cheaper than about 8 to 10 grand. So if you have a '95 Disco for 6 grand send it to me.
Some people say they are that cheap on Ebay but you have to look to see how many are SELLING at 6 grand. Not the final price, but the selling price. You have to watch Ebay close or it can be misleading.
I bought my Disco off of E-Bay. It took me two months to find the one I wanted but there out there.

FWIW. I was the used car manager for a European auto broker for 5 years and have bought over 1500 cars, I'm sure a trip to and wholesale/dealer only auction would land you a ton of cheap Disco's

BUY MY BOAT
Old 03-13-2002, 11:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 7755
83-85 slushbox in the rangie was the 727.

not imported to the US though until 87 at which time it had the zf. Very little difference between early zf and later ones until you get electric control in the DII/NBS rangie

Ron
Old 03-13-2002, 11:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally posted by evilfij
83-85 slushbox in the rangie was the 727.

not imported to the US though until 87 at which time it had the zf. Very little difference between early zf and later ones until you get electric control in the DII/NBS rangie

Ron
Yea but the early HP22's had the rev the motor in park and blow up the trans flaw!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Derter is almost done charging up the a/c...........ooops just smoked the trans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

BUY MY BOAT
Old 03-14-2002, 12:31 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 7755
I thought they all had that feature?

seriously though I have not heard of that happening in a rover. Only BMWs.

anyone?

Ron
Old 03-14-2002, 05:02 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 8803
I didn't know that Disco's had become that cheap. It looks like I might need to make a trip to Dallas Auto Auction. Thanks for the info.