Found one that I am looking at buying..... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2005, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 14455
Found one that I am looking at buying.....

I am looking at buying a 1966 Rover and I am curious what are some areas to look at?

Also what other options for engines will easily fit into these vehicles? I have always wanted a Land Rover and I think I finally found the one I want.

http://www.clickchicksphotography.co...s/IMG_3780.jpg
Old 09-10-2005, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12663
Send a message via AIM to Leafsprung
rovers

check the footwells and rear crossmember for rust (this normally where corosion starts) That truck is obviously a canadian bitsa. Its been for sale for a long time. Im sure you can get the owner to knock the price down a lot. With the defender front end you can put a lot of different motors in it. Sounds like its in decent shape from the ads Ive seen.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21936
Aha, here's the photo directory...

http://www.clickchicksphotography.com/rover/

Interesting-tailgate (anti luice) pins on the back of the tub, Defender bits on the front half,IIa motor(?) and power brakes, no hood latch in the rad support?-no, a Series rd support behind the Defender plastic, snorkel type Series air cleaner, ooo a little hail on the roof.... oh hell, the "bitsa" description fits - not necessarily bad, but inconsistent.
Keith Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12663
Send a message via AIM to Leafsprung
rovers

check the footwells and rear crossmember for rust (this normally where corosion starts) That truck is obviously a canadian bitsa. Its been for sale for a long time. Im sure you can get the owner to knock the price down a lot. With the defender front end you can put a lot of different motors in it. Sounds like its in decent shape from the ads Ive seen.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 14455
I saw the truck last week for the first time and the motor looks like it was rebuilt fairly recently with all new seal at least. There is a Base near here that the Brit's frequent often (actually a couple) which is where is probally got some of it's parts if not completely. I notice some red paint on the frame under the black paint but the frame looks like it has been completely sandblasted and then painted. The body has some rough (dent and dings) that the pictures don't show all that well but they are there. Nothing major just nearly 40 years or time has done and the paint just covers most of it. The vehicle is in better shape than most half it's age but also how are the heaters in these things? I am in Cold Lake which is quite common to see -40c. Also how difficult is it to remove the top for me to tie a cage into the frame and put the lid back on. I was quite surprised to see how very simple the vehicle really is. There is nearly nothing to these but it is one of the reasons I have always wanted one.

Edit

SO what is missing from what can bee seen in the pics?

1. Rad Support??
2. Hood latches

"bitsa" means? A bit of this one and a bit of that one?

The rear bumper is that stock?

All the other rovers of this age I have seen had fold down windshields and latches on the "bonet" to hold it down.

Another one I found of the same era was in much worst shape but it was only a 2 door and right hand drive. Also local but he wanted 10x what is was worth in the condition it was in.

Last edited by Sapper; 09-11-2005 at 12:02 AM.
Sapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper

"bitsa" means? A bit of this one and a bit of that one?

The rear bumper is that stock?

All the other rovers of this age I have seen had fold down windshields and latches on the "bonet" to hold it down.

Yes - you say 1966, but from a quick look it looks like:
Roof, windscreen, hood, grill, and seats are 110/defender
Front door tops are military 110/90 (all aluminium - which is good)
Firewall is Series 3 (1971 and later) - and presumably all dash and electrics
Door bottoms are Series IIA - which is why there is no door stop connecting the doors to the firewall (IIA and SIII were different)

The rear bumper (crossmember) looks stock - my 1968 IIA didn't have the deep crossmember like the swb's have - but I think the station wagons may have.

Looks like most of the rest of the body is the original - including the rear side windows and the rear door with impractically low tyre mount.

The windscreen folds down, there is just nothing to strap it down permamently with. You are thinking of S1 windscreens with the brackets and hooks.

Ben.
ISUZUROVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2005, 06:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Lets see what I might add

Another place I have commonly seen rust in the frame rails behind the front bumper, and the bulkhead outriggers.

Only two bolts holding tun to the rear crossmember.
Painted over the galvanised steel cappings.
Sure looks like a quick sloppy paint job over a rusty frame.
The body looks nice and straight, wonder if the paint is hiding any bondo?

Out of curiosity, what is the asking price?

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITYŽ.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2005, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 54121
Does anyone know who the seller/new buyer for this land rover is? I'm interested in contacting them.

Devin Biln

roverdevinAThotmail.com
roverdevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.