Where is the weight? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2002, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8803
Where is the weight?

I noticed the other day that my '90 RR weighs about 6200lbs. I also noticed that my 2002 Suburban 2500 with a big engine weighs about 6500lbs. I also noticed the Rover is smaller and is made of aluminum. So where in the hell is the weight? I laid underneath it on Sunday looking for some big huge steel weights up under there and didn't see anything strange. What am I missing?
Old 03-12-2002, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Send a message via AIM to road1will
the body, although made of AL, is very heavy. cause everything is mounted on a steel shell which weighs a lot.

the axles are kinda heavy too.
road1will is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2002, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4101
I've often wondered the same thing with my 90...I mean common'...The frame can be picked up by two guy's...The block weighs in at 225lbs dry....The trans is a one man job...The t-case has an aluminum case...The axles are like FEATHERS compared to a corp. 14 bolt/44...The body panels are like nothing...There is no interior to speak of....Then why does it weigh in at a whooping 3700lbs (claimed stock)...Brandon weighed his rig...Sliders, 37's, bumpers etc...And he was 5200!!! That's tank weight there guy's. Just baffels me.
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8803
They only weigh 5000lbs? Where in the hell was I getting 6100 from? Does it say that on the door or am I losing my mind? The reason for all of this confusion is I need to buy a car hauling trailer and I will haul this Rover to Colorado with it a couple of times a year. Most car hauling trailers top out at about 4500lb load capacity not including the trailer so I was having to get a big custom made trailer to haul with. How much do they weigh?
Old 03-13-2002, 05:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Send a message via AIM to road1will
y?1/4y??riginally posted by tblackj [/i]
They only weigh 5000lbs? Where in the hell was I getting 6100 from? Does it say that on the door or am I losing my mind? The reason for all of this confusion is I need to buy a car hauling trailer and I will haul this Rover to Colorado with it a couple of times a year. Most car hauling trailers top out at about 4500lb load capacity not including the trailer so I was having to get a big custom made trailer to haul with. How much do they weigh? [/QUOTE]

6100- doug was talking about a defender 90.
road1will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8122
HeHe, sounds like the conversation at dinner in Cruces. Seems strangely heavy, but the Govt makes it benificial to you. Depending on your occupation a vehicle weighing 6000lbs or more GVW allows you to take the section 179 tax deduction (basically a one time depreciation up to ~20k depending on the % you use it for work). Defender 90 GVW- 6001lbs

Johnathan
Jtisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
cut & paste

Tax Article 53
My accounting knowledge is rudimentary, so check with your accountant for validity, but this is how I understand the rule.

Did you buy a new SUV or pickup this year? Certain vehicles qualify for much more favorable depreciation rules.

When such a vehicle is used more than 50% for business, you may be able to claim up to $20,000 of its cost as a "Section 179" deduction this year.

Read on to see if you qualify, and make sure to take the deduction in the first year you buy the car. This is a mistake you can't amend.

Certain vehicles qualify for much more favorable depreciation rules. The key is finding a vehicle that is not considered a passenger auto under the tax rules. When such a vehicle is used more than 50% for business, you may be able to claim up to $20,000 of its cost as a "Section 179" deduction this year. The vehicle's remaining cost can then be recovered under the relatively favorable depreciation rules for business equipment.

Normally a vehicle is defined as a passenger auto if its unloaded gross vehicle weight is 6,000 pounds or less. Thus, virtually all cars fit within this definition and are subject to the depreciation limitations. However, trucks (including pickups), vans, and what are commonly called sport utility vehicles, fall under a special rule. They're only treated as a passenger auto when the manufacturer's maximum loaded weight rating for the vehicle is 6,000 pounds or less. As a result, several of these vehicles (such as the Chevy Suburban, Dodge Ram Pickup, and Ford Econoline Van) are generally heavy enough to escape the definition of a passenger auto. Check with your dealer to be sure of a particular vehicle's weight rating.

Example. You're considering purchasing a new passenger vehicle before year-end and it will be used 60% for business. If you spend $40,000 to buy it, $24,000 (60% of $40,000) is the total amount you can depreciate over the years. However, if the new vehicle is a truck, van, or sport utility vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight (loaded) of more than 6,000 pounds, you can claim up to $18,000 of its cost as a Section 179 deduction this year. In addition, the remaining $6,000 ($24,000 - $18,000) of depreciable cost can be written off over a total of six years. That's a much better tax answer than you get when you buy what the tax law calls a "passenger automobile."

Partial List of Qualifying Vehicles:

Below is a partial list of vehicles, which may qualify to escape the luxury auto depreciation limits. However, GVW ratings can vary for a particular model, depending on wheelbase, payload package, 2-wheel drive versus 4-whell drive, etc. As a result, it's important to use this list as a guide only and to specifically check the GVW of the particular vehicle. The manufacturer's invoice will generally disclose the GVW, or it may be secured from the vehicle dealership.

SUV/VANS and TRUCKS/PICK-UPS that qualify for Tax Article 53

AM General Hummer
Cadillac Escalade Dodge 1500 Pickup Ram
Chevrolet Astro Cargo Van All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Chevrolet Astro Passenger Van AWD
Chevy C1500 Pickup (1/2 ton)
Chevrolet C 1500 Extended Cab Pickup
Chevrolet K 1500 Extended Cab Pickup
Chevy C1500 Pickup (1/2 ton)
Chevrolet C 2500 Pickup
Chevrolet K 2500 Pickup
Chevrolet Crew Cab Pickup
Chevrolet Express Cargo Van
Chevrolet Express Passenger Van
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Pickup
Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Pickup
Chevrolet Suburban
Chevrolet Tahoe
Dodge 2500 Pickup Ram
Dodge 3500 Pickup
Dodge Durango Dodge Ram Van 1500 (1/2 ton)
Dodge Ram Van
Dodge Ram Wagon Dodge Ram Van 2500 (3/4 ton)
Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Ford Econoline Passenger Van
Ford Excursion
Ford Expedition
Ford F150 SuperCab Pickup, Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Ford F250 Pickup
Ford F350 Pickup
GMC C1500 Pickup Sierra
GMC K1500 Pickup Sierra
GMC C2500 Pickup Sierra
GMC K2500 Pickup Sierra Classic
GMC 1500 Pickup Sierra Classic
GMC C2500 Pickup
GMC Sierra Classic K2500 Pickup
GMC Sierra Classic 3500 Pickup
GMC Sierra Classic CrewCab Pickup
GMC Sierra Pickup (1/2 ton)
GMC Sierra Pickup (1/2 ton)
GMC Suburban
GMC Yukon/Yukon Denali
GMC Safari Passenger Van AWD
GMC Savana Van
Land Rover Discovery
Land Rover Range Rover

Lexus LX 470
Lincoln Blackwood
Lincoln Navigator
Mercedes G-Class SUV
Mercedes M-Class SUV (both models)
Toyota Land Cruiser

What If you Lease?
The business deductions for a leased passenger automobile are normally reduced by an IRS-calculated income inclusion amount. However, a vehicle that's not a "passenger auto" is exempt from this adjustment. Thus, with a heavy truck, van, or sport utility vehicle, you can deduct the full business percentage of the lease payments if the vehicle is used more than 50% of the time for qualified business purposes.

Of course, there are other factors that complicate this whole equation.

If an employee of the business - you or anyone else - uses the car for personal reasons, the business has to include the value of that personal usage in the employee's taxable wages. Alternatively, the employee can reimburse the company for the value of the personal use. Unincorporated sole proprietors simply deduct only the expenses attributable to business use.

A car costing more than $15,400 is considered a "luxury auto", and part of the lease deduction has to be added back to income. With a $50,000 car, the add-back would be $294 this year and $644 next year. With a $20,000 car, the figures would be a considerably more modest $41 and $91.

You do still have to "run the numbers" to compare the overall real cost of leasing vs. buying. People who buy a car and hold it for six or eight or 10 years are usually not going to find leasing attractive, no matter what the lease terms or tax benefits.

You'll also want to consider whether you'd be better off using the standard mileage method - 32.5 cents per business mile in 2000 - to deduct expenses. There's no depreciation and no deduction for gasoline or repairs or other expenses, but this option can be attractive if the car gets lots of business use for several years.

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 06:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8803
1990 Range Rover Classic

Curb Weight - 4700lbs
GVWR - 6100lbs

Basically, when it is dry without any cargo it weighs 4700 and when you put oil and fluids in it and four passengers you will weigh approximately 6100lbs. My trailer will work.