Now were are driving on 42s - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2002, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Now were are driving on 42s

OK heres the last lot of poser pics that Im going to do. After this it will be the real think (I promise).

Made up some really basic and nasty (these are only temporary)wheel spaces (65mm, 2.5in) to test out the wheel clearance.

Ramping forward. No clearance problems.

Sam
Attached Images

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Damn wrong pic. Doesent matter that was the nasty wheel spacer.

Here the one of the ramp its a 20deg and it does a little better than 1000
Attached Images

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2002, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7962
other angle
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2002, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7962
backwards- the front tyres hits the guard at full spring bind so I and the other tyre will still stretch the spring down further. Will probably trimm another inch and it will be fine.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2002, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Now here are some playing on some rocks I got in my back yard (im supposed to be building a retaining wall )
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2002, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7962
another
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2002, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7962
last one
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2002, 05:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Send a message via AIM to road1will
thats what im talkin about!!! so how they work? btw i LOVE the way you cut the fenders... looks killer! hows about once youre done with the trimming, you make me up a template for how you cut em?
road1will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Damn Sam! I've got some serious envy goin' on here...I mean shez...I'm sittin' on my arse here at work, my trucks at the shop with all the parts I need, and your buildin...Which remindes me...Do you work?

--D
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Quote:
Originally posted by RockRover
Do you work?
i have often wondered the same thing...

so doug, how about when you get home tonight, you snap a few pics of the rig with the full widths and 42s under it? no need to procrastinate!
Old 03-13-2002, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Quote:
Originally posted by 9-Volt
hows about once youre done with the trimming, you make me up a template for how you cut em?
Do You really think it will work on a ISUZU?

SR looks great , now go get it dirty

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Scout

Do You really think it will work on a ISUZU?

SR looks great , now go get it dirty
the trooper is the RELIABLE EVERYDAY DRIVER/MILD WHEELER and the 72 Series III with 302, C4, D20, D60/D70 and 42s is the wheeler.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Quote:

so doug, how about when you get home tonight, you snap a few pics of the rig with the full widths and 42s under it? no need to procrastinate!
Not much to look at really...I'm finishing the end of the cut frame Friday, and then I'll put the bed on and cut away. I'll get the pics then...

Ya' know...The more I look at SR's rig, the smaller the tires get! I shoulda' gone 44's
Attached Images

Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
Old 03-13-2002, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 9497
Wow! Looks like you got good articulation from the front suspension. How is the front suspension set up?
rhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 12:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Quote:
Originally posted by rhills
Wow! Looks like you got good articulation from the front suspension. How is the front suspension set up?
Rich...Since SR hasn't answered, I'll do it for him He cut all the braketry off his front LR axle and put it straight on the 44...Stock set-up with a centered rear diff without any significant vibration problems. I guess with 140# tire/rim's it flexes more!

--D
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
Old 03-13-2002, 12:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Quote:
Damn Sam! I've got some serious envy goin' on here...I mean shez...I'm sittin' on my arse here at work, my trucks at the shop with all the parts I need, and your buildin...Which remindes me...Do you work?
The difference is I work in my shed and when you got a rig sitting on the front lawn and a set of 42s laying on the ground next to it you got to ask yourself "what am I gonna do" Yea I work although for most of this week since the tyres turned up has been getting them on my rig

No worries 9-Volt Ill do the template. Came up looking allright and the clearance for the tyres is pretty close for a first time guess.

Sam

Old 03-13-2002, 01:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Quote:
Originally posted by rhills
Yea what Rock Rover said.

Suspension is almost stock range rover (I really should do something about the cus cause it needs work).

Iv got 14in travel shocks front and rear. Early Range Rover rear springs (130lb/in and 15.3in free length) front and rear. About 2in spacer in the rear and I would guess 3in spacer in the front. As far as how much lift I am running over stock I would guess about 3inches but I think the body would be higher off the chassis then a d90. A hinged radius arm in the front. Springs retained top and bottom all round and no bumpstops.

The next thing I gotta do is the bumpstops and get some wheeling time in. The front may be a little soft for driving at stepups so I may go a little stiffer but time will tell.

Also at the moment crawling up hill it wants to lift a front wheel and square up on the rear suspension (this is in places where the rangie ute (this was the old cab) didnt lift a wheel) which suprises me cause I have greater percentage of weight up front and it still wants to lift a front wheel. But this is something I need to work on.

Also got too much lift in the rear for the standard geometry so I really got to fix that. And while I at it I should piss that hinged arm off and do 3 link.

Sam

Old 03-13-2002, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Quote:
thats what im talkin about!!! so how they work?
So far they work really good. Can definately notice the loss of gearing (which I will fix). Definately going to need ram assist on the steering, with the wheels so big and wide and running 2.5in spacers the steering has got a lot of tyre to swing.

On the pile of rocks in my yard has more trouble putting a wheel on top of a vertical 2.5 foot rock (cause of the gearing) it really loads up the motor as I ride the clutch (my motor is totally stuffed). Once I was driving on top of the pile the difference is amazing. The tyres just drive over them and dont fall into any holes or get caught behind any rocks, they just roll on over. The ride over the rocks is really smooth and I guess this is the biggest bonus its as if the smaller rocks are not there.

So the next thing I will do is drive some of the stuff that I drove last sunday. That is after a straighten my drag link (buckled when I drove at rock a bit quick with the big offset tyres), replace a bent radius arm (bent when I landed it on a rock) (doug I dont knw if I would use one of these as a single lower link mine bent like a banana) and replace both front uni joints (RHS one the clips has fallen out and on the LHS one of the trunions has totally colapsed and the needles are broken and falling out, I guess this may also be caused by the clip falling out????).

So all in all I am having a total blast and the tyres are working great so far.

Sam

Old 03-13-2002, 02:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Quote:
Originally posted by Strange Rover

So the next thing I will do is drive some of the stuff that I drove last sunday. That is after a straighten my drag link (buckled when I drove at rock a bit quick with the big offset tyres), replace a bent radius arm (bent when I landed it on a rock) (doug I dont knw if I would use one of these as a single lower link mine bent like a banana)
Sam
Folded a FRONT radius arm like a banana? Say WHAT!? That's one FAT peice of a cast I-beam goin' on there. And with those tires how in the heck did you hit it? I've seen LR wrecks where the owner hit a tall curb at 60+mph...Radius arms were fine...His wheel-base was shortend about 36" though.

I'm thinking that it's gonna' be stronger than anything else I come up with (tube)...Two solid mounting points in front, it will help with forward rotation of the axle during breaking and accel., they're cheap, the length is perfect, alignment is a snap, and they're cheap...Did I mention they're cheap?

--D
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
Old 03-13-2002, 02:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 9497
Sam,

One disadvantge of the 3 link is the track rod protector/lower link mount sits low. I got stuck 3 times in 5 feet on my SG protector last Chile Challenge and sure would like to get rid of it.

Rich
rhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 02:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 8122
Looks like Sam has got his tie rod in front like Way, so he could fab a rear center link without using the rockguard kit on his 44.

Johnathan
Jtisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Quote:
Originally posted by RockRover

Folded a FRONT radius arm like a banana? Say WHAT!? That's one FAT peice of a cast I-beam goin' on there. And with those tires how in the heck did you hit it? I've seen LR wrecks where the owner hit a tall curb at 60+mph...Radius arms were fine...His wheel-base was shortend about 36" though.

I'm thinking that it's gonna' be stronger than anything else I come up with (tube)...Two solid mounting points in front, it will help with forward rotation of the axle during breaking and accel., they're cheap, the length is perfect, alignment is a snap, and they're cheap...Did I mention they're cheap?

--D
Maybe not like a banana but bent right near the chassis mount. Iv taken a photo and will post it. Just gotta log off to down load.

Sam

Old 03-13-2002, 03:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Quote:
Originally posted by Jtisdale
Looks like Sam has got his tie rod in front like Way, so he could fab a rear center link without using the rockguard kit on his 44.

Johnathan
When I do a three link I will put the third link on the top beside the drive shaft back to a new cross member and leave the radius arms as is with the rear C bushes removed.

The centre upper link wont be in the centre of the diff so it will drive a bit funny on the road (it will steer under brakes) but I think that it will drive funny anyway

Sam

Old 03-13-2002, 03:35 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Quote:
Originally posted by Strange Rover

Maybe not like a banana but bent right near the chassis mount. Iv taken a photo and will post it. Just gotta log off to down load.

Sam
Heres some pics
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2002, 03:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 7962
And from below. On second thoughts I might leave it as is and do the other side cause it gives me better turning clearance.

Looking at it, it hasnt so much as kinked upwards as its kinked sideways. I can see the rock impact mark.

Doug you really should get a digi camera. I mean, shit we should all chip in and get you one cause WE WANNA SEE WHAT YOUR BUILDING.

C'mon guys whose gonna chip in to get Doug a camera

Sam
Attached Images