SafariGard? WTF? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Closed Thread

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2002, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8871
Send a message via AIM to road1will
SafariGard? WTF?

what is this all about??? that IS their logo, right?
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2002, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9055
Looks like the SG logo with a line through it like they are saying SG sucks.. I could be worng though cause it is a little hard to see..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2002, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8768
Damn, where do I get one???

M
Old 03-17-2002, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Way

Member # 9428
The only thing I would have changed on his cool sticker. Change the SG to $G.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15695
Send a message via AIM to TuffD90
SG logo on a jeep

The owner of this jeep is a long time friend of Greg at Safari Gard and is also a supporter of SG.
And the comment about $G remember you get what you pay for. The best is not cheap!
KOH 2008, 2009 #23
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="4"]A SPECIAL THANK YOU[/SIZE]!!![/COLOR] to the following companies for being there!!!
[COLOR="Red"][url]4wheelpartswholesale.com[/url] [url]www.djsafety.com[/url] [url]www.reeldriveline.com[/url] [url]www.pscmotorsports.com[/url] [url]www.prpseats.com[/url][/COLOR]
Old 03-07-2003, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14480
Quote:
And the comment about $G remember you get what you pay for. The best is not cheap!
Gag me - they suck!
Old 03-07-2003, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Quote:
Originally posted by Busto
Gag me - they suck!
YOU suck.

Did your mommie ever tell you if you don't have anything good to say, then....

--D
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
Old 03-07-2003, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Quote:
Originally posted by Busto
Gag me - they suck!
Kyle is that you?

This is not Dweb if you have first hand problems with a SG product, lets hear it. Pulling Dweb style bullshit out of your ass is not allowed!

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old 03-07-2003, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 12448
Send a message via AIM to landrover108 Send a message via Yahoo to landrover108
Yea, im interested to know what exactly makes you think they suck?
Sure, their prices are higher than lots of other places...but i like their products. I have a SG front bumper on my truck and i love it, its one of the best mod's on my truck.

Also...you know that Greg checks this site dont you ?
Old 03-07-2003, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9461
You know Busto, I used to read your posts with an open mind and try and see things from your point of view. You actually did add something to some of these threads...... But I just lost all respect for you buddy. What exactly do you mean by that comment about SafariGard? Do you have some personal experience with them you would like to share (if so please enlighten us)? Or are you one of the many wannabe's that talk the talk, but never do jack shit with your rig.

Greg is on this board and I am sure he will read this thread, and I only hope he chaulks this up as another fawkin wannbe blowin sheit outta his mouth.

I am certainly no SG poster child (I run their 3-link, and front brake lines), but I think Greg puts out a great set of products (especially for such a small frickin insane set of consumers). He was puttin out LR offroad accessories long before many others were, and continues to support this community even though chicken shits like you badmouth his business. I feel certain he makes alot more money on the non-LR products SG sells (like the Ford bumpers, and Toyota products), but he has a passion for LR's and continues to make that part of the business a priority.

So in short Busto. Fawk off, get the Fawk off this board you friggin poser. We don't want your shit here anymore.

Billster (a bit pissed after a shitty day).

ps. One more thing
Old 03-07-2003, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Not Kyles style...Sounds more like Ho...

--D
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
Old 03-07-2003, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9461
Opps,

I forgot to mention. Greg builds his own stuff, takes it out and wheels the holy crap outta it, and is super good guy to boot. All the qualifications I like to see in a regular on this BB (read: not you Busto).

Billster
Old 03-07-2003, 09:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 6400
I don't own anything SG but I saw some rigs down at the Chile Challenge with it and it looked tough as sh*t. I also believe I saw the Owner Greg and his Rover buggy was sure nice and his fabrication skills are dam good if he built that thing.

Matt
Old 03-07-2003, 09:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 8768
Quote:
Originally posted by Serious One
Damn, where do I get one???

M
Sheeze, was this thread ressurected from a year ago or what???

So...before everyone think's I'm a backpedaling pussy....

Or gets the idea that I'm kissin' some ass....

I'll just say that I've had the SG diffguards. Didn't like them, they pretzled like no tomorrow (could it have been because they didn't stay on???). Maybe tack welding them on is the ultimate solution.

So...back to SG...

I remember meeting Greg oh way back when...he was the ONLY guy doing this stuff. Took some shots of his D90 on one of his few trips up to Oregon. Had some fun. Admired his gumption to go out on a limb. Thought his bumpers were sexy, if not a little pricy (maybe it was me just being a CB...).

So, off and on over the years I've been a mixed bag of bashing SG and admiring him at the same time. I guess that makes me a hypocrite? Oh well, fawk it. You have to be a hypocrite over something sometimes.

Anyway, saw that he filled a niche that wasn't getting filled. Others came along and blatantly ripped off his designs, others improved them, but he was all along the benchmark. The guy that everyone looked to to steal the ideas or make them better.

Never did like the sliders. Thought the mounting points were weak (saw some damage to a D90 that had them mounted). But, I digress.

Again, my only personal experience was the diffguards.

Had a friend that bought a LOT of his stuff. Suffered through the delays, the missing instructions, the misaligned bolt-holes, but he stuck with SG through thick and thin. This is a guy I respect a LOT, and for him to put up with the hassles with SG spoke a lot to me about the ultimate quality you ended up with if you could get past some of the little things.

So...I still had only bought the diffguards. Hung them on the wall to remind me that they sucked. Maybe I just needed something to complain about.

Then I think somewhere I grew up a little bit more and threw them away. Figured out a better way to do it, and did it.

Then I bought some reverse light brackets from them because no one else sold the style I wanted. In the mean time I moved. Wondrered where they had been shipped to, then forgot about it....for 2 months. In the interim I'd moved to Vegas. Called up SG asking about the brackets and they were shipped overnight to me. I was, honestly, impressed. No questions asked.

Then I needed a trailer hitch, knew that my buddy Ed had bought one and loved it so I thought I'd try it too. Ordered it, mounted it, appreciated it for what it was. A beefy ass trailer hitch that I'll need to modify my euro-spec crossmember to fit up to the holes in the bracket. Small price to pay for some beef.

So....here I sit reading this resurrected thread and seeing what I wrote a year ago. I guess something had changed in my attitude and my public expression of it between then and now. Still don't like the diffguards, have some questions about the sliders I saw, but know that there's always room for improvement and I think that Greg is trying to do that.

I still don't like the 3-link (for me anyway), but appreciate the fact that again, he went out on a limb and tried something different. I wondered how it would all end up when I heard all the rumors and reports of people dying from the 3-link failure. Was glad that he took care of it right away, and that all of the deaths I'd been hearing about were just fiction.

I suppose I still sit the fence with SG. I like the products I've recently bought from them and still hold them in high regard in respect to their tenacity at sticking with a unique business concept. I am envious of his ability to make contacts within an industry that I thought I was pretty well connected in. Kudos to Greg and SG.

There. That's my story so that others don't mix me up with Busto as being in the "I diss SG but don't explain why" category.

Me? I just diss them (but am a closet admirer/consumer of the product). As for the stickers? I think it's actually still kind of funny in a retro-Ghostbusters kind of way.

Hypocrite? Fence-sitter? Yeah, kind of. I just pick and choose from what I see, and they so happen to have some products that I like and can use. So there.

But...I still don't like the diffguards.

Busto, what's your beef?
Old 03-07-2003, 10:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
DAM Michael!

BUY MY BOAT
Old 03-07-2003, 10:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 13412
Mike...how much for those diff guards? I don't wanna mess up my pretty face
Old 03-07-2003, 10:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 8768
OS - just an attempt to clarify my "where can I get one of those cool stickers that attempts to diss a company I secretly admire" post (from a YEAR ago!). You're gonna love my reply to Billster's wiring question!

DieLucas! - I think they're in a dumpster in Portland. Oh wait, the back one is in a mud bog up in British Columbia.

Last edited by Serious One; 03-07-2003 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 11072
Busto is 9V's Dad.......

Make sense to you now D?

metal furniture | fabrication | decor
new | rustic | recycled
Old 03-08-2003, 06:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 14379
Send a message via AIM to TxD90
Hmmm...I actually have their sliders. Got them during one of their sales. I'll agree that they aren't as beefy as Bill Burke's sliders, but they have held up very well on my rig.

My biggest notch against Safari Gard thus far has been the design of their Mastercraft bracket. It attempted a quick removal system, but failed due to the pull pins barely fitting the holes anyway (had to hammer them in). It sat back WAY to far for my taste. I had to lift up the rear with some 2x2 cubes to feel like I wasn't ghetto blasting. If the decision hadn't been made to sell the D-90, I'd have made new mounts.

The other notch is the insane prices for some certain items. Like the tire carrier for $850, or the accompanying light mount for $150. I feel the one I had custom built is stronger at, at $500, a far better deal.

I can understand why the suspension kits are so pricey. Look at the equipment. FOX shocks. Those aren't Ranchos. I can even understand the tire carrier, because nobody else of decent size sells anything comparable. But $150 for a light bracket?

Despite these gripes, I definitely have respect for Safari Gard as a vendor. I respect them for being the first in so many areas, and for being such a force for innovation.

Matt McDougall

'95 D-90
Old 03-08-2003, 07:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 1745
Send a message via AIM to 64rovr
this is funny, you guys bad mouth SG all day, then when its brought up that he checks the board you are all so quick to rationalize your thoughts so as not to offend him

as for my opinion? good stuff, a lot of people seem to like it. i have the diff guards, they hold up ok but i am going to be making a set soon enough.

the only thing i have heard as being a real problem (from several close friends) is the fit and finish, with things not lining up and whatnot. but that, to me, is minor, because i think that anyone who buys a hand crafted product for a wide range of vehicles and expects it to bolt right up is insane- but then again those Dwebbers are

btw, when i saw this thread i thought that someone had hacked onto my old username and made a new post, but then i saw that it was just really, really, really OLD
Old 03-08-2003, 08:11 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 8768
9V, (and I'll still call you 9V because you'll ALWAYS be 9V),

I wrote my diatribe not because I care that Greg checks the board. Personally he's just the same as any other newbie and deserves just as much shiat. ( to you Greggo!). The *main* reason I wrote what I did was so that two of the people I respect on this board the most wouldn't toss me in the same pile as Busto. Namely BillR and DougM.

I'm sure Greg could give a rats ass what I thought of his company. I'm just one guy and he knows he has a lot of other people standing in line for his stuff. What can I say to sway people's opinions? Nothing.

And just because someone *else* mentioned in *their* post that Greg 'checks the board' (like what, somd BBS-enforcer-cop???), doesn't automatically mean that's the reason I posted what I did.

If Greg reads what I wrote, so what. He already knows most of it I'm sure (from others that actually took the time to call him and complain). Me writing what I did, well, whatever. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a 2x4.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally posted by Ford Rover
this is funny, you guys bad mouth SG all day,
I have not seen a SG bad mouthing on POR. Care to enlighten me?

BUY MY BOAT
Old 03-08-2003, 08:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 10898
I've had two experiences with SG.

First, I had their diff guards and didn't like them. Know plenty others who would say the same and others who think they are cat's ass.

Second, up at BMRA in East Texas when Ben's D90 took off down the hill and slammed face first into a tree right in the corner of an SG bumper. Just a little paint scrap. One word - BEEFY.

None of our trucks have SG stuff on them. Why not? Mostly price. I couldn't ever justify an SG product over say ARB. I use Rovertym sliders and think they're great. I had some homemade sliders on my 90....so to sum up....I along with most others (many probably bashers) don't use or are against because we are jealous and can't afford their products.

KC

ps Now I just want that sexy bumper for my F250
Old 03-08-2003, 09:11 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 1745
Send a message via AIM to 64rovr
i wasnt referring to you in particular mike, just in general. no offense intended.

bob- not SG bashing in terms of all out "safarigard sucks" but more just the occasional drop of the "$G" and whatnot.

hey, i like greg, at the Greek Peak LR 50th anniversary in 1998 i won a SG tshirt
Old 03-08-2003, 09:33 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 13412
Quote:
Originally posted by Ford Rover

hey, i like greg, at the Greek Peak LR 50th anniversary in 1998 i won a SG tshirt

You must have been 10 then....does it still fit?