Someone talk me out of it.. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2005, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9065
Send a message via AIM to madcowdungbeetle
Someone talk me out of it..

This is the line I'm thinking about taking for my rear wheel wells, then angling them back and in towards the frame at the rear... Someone talk some sense into me!

madcowdungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9065
Here's one of my preliminary rear cuts.. I'd have done them both, but I forgot to buy more cutoff wheels

Last edited by madcowdungbeetle; 12-22-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2005, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15710
Don't do it!!!!
Well that didn't work..

It's only a car... As long as it's tastful, not dangerous, keeps with the general design of the esteemed land Rover designers, doesn't scratch the paint, allows for bags of groceries to easily be placed in the vehicle, Wait!

Help Please help ME

Send more beer!!!!

I wanna see what it looks like..

What about the fuel filler? Can you say fuel cell?
revor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2005, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
lwg

Member # 12044
Send a message via MSN to lwg
If your wondering what it "might" look like see this: http://www.reincarnation-inc.com/pages/5/index.htm
Old 12-22-2005, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9065
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
If your wondering what it "might" look like see this: http://www.reincarnation-inc.com/pages/5/index.htm

hah, yea, but I'm not going for those... umm....lines?... if that's what you'd call it.

I still plan to keep the tail lights and floor in the factory location, and extend the wheel wells back accordingly. Didn't you do something like this with your wheel wells)?
I'm trying to pust the rear axle back 5.5" or so, I've gotta do some more cutting

And a fuel cell looks to be in my future..
Old 12-22-2005, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
lwg

Member # 12044
That was last winters project. Do a search on my username and wheel wells and you should find it. If I were you that is the route I would go.

BTW, 5.5" is A LOT. I think to properly do that you would have to cut and chop the rear frame as I think it swoops downward and might hit the axle upon articulation. Plus your breakover angle is going to suck bigtime. But if your willing to accept that then have at it, and post up pics!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9065
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
That was last winters project. Do a search on my username and wheel wells and you should find it. If I were you that is the route I would go.

BTW, 5.5" is A LOT. I think to properly do that you would have to cut and chop the rear frame as I think it swoops downward and might hit the axle upon articulation. Plus your breakover angle is going to suck bigtime. But if your willing to accept that then have at it, and post up pics!

Cool, I found it thanks..

I'm not worried about breakover. My plan is to be around 107"-109" wheel base with ~40" tires.. full width axles of course.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15296
You Can Do It!!!
DiscoDino is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2005, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1745
Send a message via AIM to 64rovr
personally i think it wont look very good, because the opening will be too long for its height. but hey its your truck man if thats what you want to do then go for it.
64rovr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2005, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
lwg

Member # 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle
I'm not worried about breakover. My plan is to be around 107"-109" wheel base with ~40" tires.. full width axles of course.
Ok, I "officially" approve... If that matters at all.

Ever think about Portals? That would be uber-sweet! Also, if this project goes as planned I will expect to see you at the National Rally!

BTW, I think I can fit 40's in my rear wheel wells, the fronts are another story.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 9065
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg
Ok, I "officially" approve... If that matters at all.

Ever think about Portals? That would be uber-sweet! Also, if this project goes as planned I will expect to see you at the National Rally!

BTW, I think I can fit 40's in my rear wheel wells, the fronts are another story.
Whew.. I wasn't going a step further until I recieved your approval

I thought about portals, but for what I'm wanting to do, and the screaming deal I got on my D60/D70 that's the route I'll be taking.

When/where is the national rally? I'm really wanting to do the CC this year if I can.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
lwg

Member # 12044
www.solihullsociety.org

The National Rally is in Moab this year. End of September.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 29418
I think it looks like you're subconciously jonesing for some rear tracks like a Centaur or whatever those were called. With tires, it will look hacked. Why not get a LWB Range Rover and cut the opening for larger tires. You'll already have the wheelbase you want, it will look infinitely better, and, as it will be a Range Rover, you'll have a better base vehicle LOL
Old 12-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 20394
You will be able to fit the axle without hitting the frame with the stretch. At 5in back it will still be in the raised section of the frame enough, that and the 40's will limit your uptravel enough to keep the axle out of the way. That being said, if I were you, I would lose the rear section of the frame anyway. If you do that you can lose about 200-250 LBs and really improve your departure angle.

As to the comments that it will not look that good, it's a Disco, it wasn't going to win any beauty contests to begin with. You know, all of this is sounding really familiar to me, I wonder why
Attached Images

Thank you all for your support

Widia Cutting Tools [url]www.widia.com[/url]
Sterling Autosport [url]www.sterlingautosport.com/[/url]
PSC [url]www.pscmotorsports.com/[/url]
Ruffstuff [url]www.ruffstuffspecialties.com[/url]
Tom Woods Drive Shafts [url]www.4xshaft.com[/url]
[url]www.facebook.com/buckwildracing[/url]
Buckon37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2005, 06:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 9065
That looks killer man! Those 39.5" Iroks?

I've been kicking the idea around of lopping off the back of the frame at the top of the coil arch, and then taking it straight back, sorta how RockRover did with his D90 monster.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle
That looks killer man! Those 39.5" Iroks?

I've been kicking the idea around of lopping off the back of the frame at the top of the coil arch, and then taking it straight back, sorta how RockRover did with his D90 monster.
Thanks! Yours will look better! Yes, they are 39.5 Iroks. What you are describing is exactly what I did but I cut the frame off just a little back of the T-case and used 2in tube back from there. The change lightened up the rear by about 200-250 with the springs and everything else. It was not much harder to do than the frame cutting I already had to do for the fenders in the back. You won't have to cut all that but it would be cool to do while you are at all this other work anyway. Oh, and the wheelbase is 106. Just about what you want to do.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 11256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Thanks! Yours will look better! Yes, they are 39.5 Iroks. What you are describing is exactly what I did but I cut the frame off just a little back of the T-case and used 2in tube back from there. The change lightened up the rear by about 200-250 with the springs and everything else. It was not much harder to do than the frame cutting I already had to do for the fenders in the back. You won't have to cut all that but it would be cool to do while you are at all this other work anyway. Oh, and the wheelbase is 106. Just about what you want to do.
I want a separate thread with pictures of everything under that truck in the rear now. Also a picture of the back of the truck so I can see how you did the rear body work. Pretty much exactly what I'm thinking on the rear except the tube chassis.

-ben
m016324 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2005, 06:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by m016324
I want a separate thread with pictures of everything under that truck in the rear now. Also a picture of the back of the truck so I can see how you did the rear body work. Pretty much exactly what I'm thinking on the rear except the tube chassis.

-ben
I'd like to see some pics of the front and rear suspension as well. Those heim joints on the radius arms are SEXXXXXXY!!!
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2005, 10:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 8122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
You will be able to fit the axle without hitting the frame with the stretch. At 5in back it will still be in the raised section of the frame enough, that and the 40's will limit your uptravel enough to keep the axle out of the way. That being said, if I were you, I would lose the rear section of the frame anyway. If you do that you can lose about 200-250 LBs and really improve your departure angle.

As to the comments that it will not look that good, it's a Disco, it wasn't going to win any beauty contests to begin with. You know, all of this is sounding really familiar to me, I wonder why
David, let's see some more build up pics, looks pretty good from what you posted. What size are the 5 flange bolts on the rear axle...you may want to address that based on what Bill did to his old rear 9 and what I've done to the front of mine with only five bolts at the flange.

Tis
Old 12-24-2005, 11:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtisdale
David, let's see some more build up pics, looks pretty good from what you posted. What size are the 5 flange bolts on the rear axle...you may want to address that based on what Bill did to his old rear 9 and what I've done to the front of mine with only five bolts at the flange.

Tis
I will get some pics together for you guys. Thanks for the compliments. It may be a few days as I have a ton to do before my trip on the 26th. The rear flange bolts are definently a weak spot. I have already broken two of the grade 8 bolts. I might get Rovertracks to swap this for me. I do not have the problem in the front anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.