Killing Cats is good thing right... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2002, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10732
Killing Cats is good thing right...

Long time lurker....first time poster

Adam - I understand you have killed your cats. What is the downside/upside to doing this. I have a good ypipe with the cats cleaned out and new 02 sensors ready to go and various bolts soaking in PB Blaster in anticipation of getting rid of my exisiting clogged ypipe and bashed muffler. What engine mods did you need if any, timing changes etc... no emission testing in my state.. just waiting for somebody else who has done it to tell me to suck it up and get on with it already... how much louder will it be? and what is the url for your website....

Tisdale - Tellico in May sounds great. Just say when.

JB
Old 03-29-2002, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
The only LR that would have a problem running without cats would be OBDII rigs since they have 4 o2 sensors. Remember the good old days when then sold test tubes!

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2002, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8122
I had gutted cats in my other 90 and it was LOUD regardless of what muffler you run! Not any noticable power gains either.

I'm working on the Tellico plans...stay tuned.

Johnathan
Jtisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Way

Member # 9428
Which Adam are you referring to Way or 9volt???
Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4101
Quote:
Originally posted by Jtisdale
I had gutted cats in my other 90 and it was LOUD regardless of what muffler you run! Not any noticable power gains either.

I'm working on the Tellico plans...stay tuned.

Johnathan
Hendrix 'X' Chassis #006
http://www.hunt4steve.com/Doug.html
RockRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Way

Member # 9428
If you are reffering to Adam Way (me) I have had several different exhausts on my vehicle. I currently have a flowmaster three chamber exhaust with a hi-flow cat. I had the exact same exhaust previously and it didn't act any different (no differnce in loudness either). I would not remove the cats. It is against the law (big whoop) but emissions will fail you if you do. Durango does not have emissions so I didn't have anything to worry about. I have a friend that has a J**P, and he did a trick little mod. I will try to explain it.

He put an additional exhaust flange right before and after the cat. He also had the exhaust shop make a piece of straight pipe with the same flanges. The result was a bolt in cat. This worked well for him as he did not have a hi-flow cat and it made it pass emissions. If I worked at the emission place I would notice the bolt in cat and fail you anyways. I reccommend putting in a hi-flow cat and never mess with all of the bolt in stuff. Lets face it the Rover motor is junk and will never be fast (or reliable). (we will see if this sparks a rover motor war...hmmmm...???)

Way
Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 02:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9426
Send a message via AIM to Diesel Jim Send a message via MSN to Diesel Jim
Lets face it the Rover motor is junk and will never be fast (or reliable). (we will see if this sparks a rover motor war...hmmmm...???)

Hey Adam.... if rovers are so crappy, why do you drive them? or even sub to these lists?

Jamie
Diesel Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 06:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9065
Send a message via AIM to madcowdungbeetle
Quote:
Originally posted by Way
Lets face it the Rover motor is junk and will never be fast (or reliable). (we will see if this sparks a rover motor war...hmmmm...???)
So are we drag racin' the things now?

-Jon

Runnin' out to get my softball sized exhaust tip right now...
madcowdungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4749
Send a message via AIM to Rover Addiction
Btw, I drag race mine... Took a riced out slammed mini truck the other day.. It was kinda funny when at the first light I lit up the front tires (Yes, 37s! And I didn't lock the center diff) and I think it scared the little turd. Then on the 2nd light, I raced him again with the center diff locked and chirped all 4! Our lights are timed so bad that in a one mile stretch, you hit at least 4 lights. I made the 3rd one (you gotta hit 60 mph or so to squeak in during the yellow.) Of course, when he saw he wasn't going to make it, he slid into the 7-11 parking lot and called it a day. Funniest part was all the other ricers sitting at the 7-11 saw him get toasted by a dirty old D90 on 37s!!!

You see, if I had anything faster, I'd be dangerous, but the D90 is slow enough to keep me from getting into too much trouble.

-John
Old 04-02-2002, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8122
John-
Your rig didn't seem that slow as you blew past us on I-10 in New Mexico doing like 90mph uphill. That supercharger makes a huuuge difference. I especially liked the burnouts with your tires at 3psi!

Johnathan
Jtisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 09:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4749
Send a message via AIM to Rover Addiction
Quote:
Originally posted by Jtisdale
John-
Your rig didn't seem that slow as you blew past us on I-10 in New Mexico doing like 90mph uphill. That supercharger makes a huuuge difference. I especially liked the burnouts with your tires at 3psi!

Johnathan
I was just trying to keep up with Bill and his smoking burnouts with that big block Chevy Dually.. And he wonders why he's getting no lifespan on the tires!

Right, Bill?

-John
Old 04-02-2002, 12:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 10732
cats gone then

Thanks for the Cat replies. I will stick on the ypipe and let you know what happens. I just picked up a 250T/not turbo but transport mercedes station wagon ( the old 300D/ 123 model body style but runs on unleaded) - it was imported from Germany many years ago, it has a v6 naturally aspirated engine, with 300,000 Kilometers on it and it is incredibly fast!!! I drove it home 7 hours at 90 MPH and it never hesitated a second.....Anybody here recommend a BBS for mercedes? It also has a hydraulic rear suspension/load leveler. I woke up early so I could just sit and look at it from the porch

It is such a great feeling to finally have a second car so I can finally tear into the Rangie to fix things and have the time to put it back together properly!!!!!

JB
J bradley is offline   Reply With Quote