93rangie-lwb cv's..yeah i know search is dead! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 20901
Send a message via Yahoo to androbus
93rangie-lwb cv's..yeah i know search is dead!

since search has been down for a while i can't look up who said what to help me when i started asking about this a fw months ago..but Elisa is really worrying about them(they grunk grunk on some turns...not always..two years ago when they did this i just added oil and preyed..and it stopped) and wants me to fix! i was going to just buy new ones from Paddocks, but have been told there are two different ones used on the 93 lwb's? and u can't tell i guess by the vin code? so..i really don't waqnt to disable our only good running(sorta) rover as she needs to go to work in it...swhat is the difference? how do i tell whick i have? i realize i need to look inside, but not sure what to look for to know which i have?
thanks!
and hope to get a response bfore search comes back on...

Paul
Old 03-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12499
There is a number stamped on the axle housing-kinda like individualpoints stippled in the housing. With this number, the correct CV joint can be spec'd.

I've had good luck with both buying from the UK and domestically, but the pricing of aftermarket CVs in the US is so attractive it's barely worth the hassle of ordering overseas.

(hoping and praying the CVs in Shopgrrl's truck don't go out before she moves out west)
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20901
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram
There is a number stamped on the axle housing-kinda like individualpoints stippled in the housing. With this number, the correct CV joint can be spec'd.

I've had good luck with both buying from the UK and domestically, but the pricing of aftermarket CVs in the US is so attractive it's barely worth the hassle of ordering overseas.

(hoping and praying the CVs in Shopgrrl's truck don't go out before she moves out west)
Cool! running downstairs to go crawl under and look.

so when i come back with it, do you have teh info to help me?

can't fiind your # I had your shop # in cell, but thought i had your other one? home/cell? if so i would have just called you!

Paul(still think you need to move to Fresno instead of Portland!)
Old 03-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12499
No, I don't have the info-er, now that I think about it, yes, I should have the part numbers handy.

Your phone number is in the card file

The number is usually on the front of the axle housing on the drivers side (NAS). Grab a can of carburetor cleaner as it almost always requires a bunch of work to get the crud off so you can see the number.

Fresno? Is there a Rover dealer there?
Old 03-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 20901
Quote:
No, I don't have the info-er, now that I think about it, yes, I should have the part numbers handy.

Your phone number is in the card file

The number is usually on the front of the axle housing on the drivers side (NAS). Grab a can of carburetor cleaner as it almost always requires a bunch of work to get the crud off so you can see the number.

Fresno? Is there a Rover dealer there?
Yeah! and they really need some good mechanics!! My friend had his '89 rangie in thre to replace the susp bushes...and they took a week..and ended up braking the rear control arms trying to remove the nuts...
I have actually thought of taking a position there as a service guy..but it doesn't oay much! ;-) mechanics make mre!

I took the brake claner to it! cheaper than carb cleaner and works better(just don't use it to clean teh keybord of your dell laptop! oops! no it's not same as electric contact cleaner after all!

ok the info from teh axle casing is:
57L03815A

so..what does that tell us? is there a cheap generic # for this? remember this is a road only rig. she never goes off roading in it so just needs dead stockish.

you should have looked up things here! Fresno is cheaper than portland to live! is near some really good wheeling, etc! I just started a Fresno/Visalia Land-rover club that really needs more members!
and I'm here to be a thorn in your backside! Yeah! My friend Joe sold his house in bay area and followed me here, paid CASH for his house with what was left from selling house and paying bank there..nothing like no payments neccesary.

paul
Old 03-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 12499
1: I'm not gonna wrench any more. Too old and tired of having dirty fingernails ALL the time

You're gonna need a suffix A CV joint. Should be pretty simple to get a replacement from any of the parts houses, just give 'em a call.

The only thing we're worried about is the cost of housing... But with Shopgrrl working and with what I'll be making (if only Shopboy can find a job...) we'll be alright, if not far ahead of waht we're doing here. The advantage of living in a much cooler place with wheeling nearby, it'll be an improvement.

PT
Old 03-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 20901
Quote:
1: I'm not gonna wrench any more. Too old and tired of having dirty fingernails ALL the time

You're gonna need a suffix A CV joint. Should be pretty simple to get a replacement from any of the parts houses, just give 'em a call.

The only thing we're worried about is the cost of housing... But with Shopgrrl working and with what I'll be making (if only Shopboy can find a job...) we'll be alright, if not far ahead of waht we're doing here. The advantage of living in a much cooler place with wheeling nearby, it'll be an improvement.

PT
cool! suffix a? assuming i will see this when i look up on parts books?
did you find a cb alternative to the rover houses? napa? or autozone?

so you won't be wrenching? good for you. what will you be doing? playing with projects and accidently making some $$ here and there? or did ou get a "desk job"?

Paul
Old 03-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by androbus
or did ou get a "desk job"?

Paul
Service advisor, Classic Department.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 20901
Quote:

PT
ok now stupid question, my memory is fading..is this just the bell,cv cage with star and balls or the whole thing(stub axle and all)? I recall thre being different ways these are done...the shop manual shows it all as one..but that is the '91 model year(as i understand teh manual, if there is no further pages in the newer years sections than that is it, but..since i was told there are two in '93 I am wary!)

Paul
Old 03-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 20901
Quote:
Service advisor, Classic Department.
funny! I was told there was a position here that they couldn't fill! the one the Mac tool guy was trying to get me to go fill, but i had just started up classes here and didn't want to bail on them....i wonder how reasonable they pay anyway? Elisa told me that when she was dating a salesman there many years ago that the service writer(advisor)s didn't make much?

but "not much" is irrelevant when you are a starving student like i am right now, huh?

Paul