supercharger? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 28276
Send a message via Yahoo to shupack
supercharger?

I just found a S/C (eaton M90), from a wrecked '97 SSE- am I nuts?

my RR's a '95 4.0 with 140k on the clock. Runs well, no smoke, common drips/leaks. I either need pulled away from the deep end, or pushed in.

I'm considering just putting it on, set it for mild boost and see how long the old 4.0 will last. That'll give me time to build a decent engine for it without staring at it on the shop floor and rushing things. I don't want a fire breathing dragon, but something with less lethargy would be nice

I found a thread from last year,

Quote:

Also... any recommendations for a well behaved cam? The Phase3 always manages to pass PDX DEQ by retarding the timing but the idle lope does cause some eyebrows with the techs.

Thanks,
Ron

Crower 50230 or 50229.

Gee, it seems like everybody's in PDX these days!
That's listed as a Buick 215/340 cam, were there any changes to the 4.0 that it won't work, and will it work OK with the S/C? I havn't found much on settin up a s/c engine other than lower compression ratio is better.

better yet, any engine shop recomendations? Putting it all together I can do, picking the right parts and setting it up I don't want to make a mess of.

I should upgrade my trans as well, but I'll research that later (probably after I blow it up....), new brakes are coming too.
shupack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7755
I have a couple nearly new 4.6 cams which would should help a 4.0. You would have to machine a 215 cam to get it to fit in a 4.0.

Honestly, just sell the blower and move on or buy a 4.6 and put the blower on that.

Of course, if anyone has a serp belt blower for a 95 lwb I am all ears.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28276
I may take you up on one of those cams, I figure if I'm going to build an engine it might as well be a 4.6, maybe a 5.2...

new brakes are on the list too, I'm thinking EBC.

I've seen a few threads on supercharged classics and defenders and some cars running the old rover v8 on UK forums, a google for "land rover supercharger installation" gives the best results
Old 01-30-2007, 04:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1745
Send a message via AIM to 64rovr
Be very careful. The Eatons have a bad rep on Rovers and are kind of a retrofitted installation to begin with. Putting a supercharger on an engine is not something you do just because you tripped over one...
64rovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 28276
I agree, I'm not going to just throw it on and forget it (although it's tempting), I've been doing lots of digging, and bought a couple books on s/c.

I found one site that doggs on the eaton/rover combo, but his reasoning isn't sound IMHO. -If you have lower airflow to a cylinder, won't it run rich? the ECU thinks there's more air than there really is, so it's putting in more fuel, no? With a positive pressure in the manifold I don't see how ANY cylinder can be short of air, even with a manifold that's not designed for a s/c.

putting 2 pumps in series to boost output is a common thing in my industry (7 years US Navy, nuclear submarine propulstion operations and maint. 3 years commercial nuclear power plant operations) and probably every other process that moves a fluid.

from what I've found so far I think it may be the modified OEM manifold that's the problem, not designed for positive pressure or proper flow at postive and no intercooler. I'll have to see how much of a pain it'll be to make up (or have made) a custom manifold with intercooler. I work with some amazing machinists, they might see it as a fun challenge.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 82225
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post

Ron,
I have a friend with a serp belt S/C that is kicking around his garage. I think he may want to sell it. It came off of a 1995 Disco, so should fit your LWB. I'll let you know.

Last edited by Roadsiderob; 01-30-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Roadsiderob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 28276
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post

http://www.jeengineering.co.uk/p38_petrol_eng.htm

http://www.discoveryauto.com.au/supercha.htm

http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/category.php?id=9

great info site
http://www.motorsportsdigest.com/tech/
Old 01-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7755
I see the info and all, but I was really looking for a cheap one to slap on the lwb.

Rob, thanks, let me know.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 54815
I think this is the best option. Maybe.

Ebay Link
AKRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 15710
I like it!!!!
revor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 1745
Send a message via AIM to 64rovr
If you are going to try the custom manifold route, I would start with an aftermarket 4bbl manifold such as the Offenhouser or Edelbrock. From there, I would weld in bungs for the fuel injectors in the intake runners and make a custom fuel rail to fit (probably with SS flex hose). Mount the blower on top of that the same way that it would be in a carbed application, and fabricate a small plenum style manifold to bolt to the top of the blower that you could bolt your throttle body to.
64rovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 28276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64rovr View Post
If you are going to try the custom manifold route, I would start with an aftermarket 4bbl manifold such as the Offenhouser or Edelbrock. From there, I would weld in bungs for the fuel injectors in the intake runners and make a custom fuel rail to fit (probably with SS flex hose). Mount the blower on top of that the same way that it would be in a carbed application, and fabricate a small plenum style manifold to bolt to the top of the blower that you could bolt your throttle body to.
I like that idea,

The S/C is off of an SSE, so it's got all the fittings, intake and all that-the throttle body mounts to a manifold on the rear so it all fits underhood with no mods, the manifold is a cut down OEM unit, not optimized for positive pressure, so that's the only thing I want to change (hopefully)

do those manifolds fit the 4.0?

I want to incorporate an intercooler if not included, (I don't have it yet...)

I'm running 19# injectors already, big improvement btw.