What I did*** Closed due to lack of tech*** - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Closed Thread

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 33267
What I did*** Closed due to lack of tech***

Someone locked the last thread, and after I spent 45 minutes typing out a word document on my modifications. Maybe we can get this one to over 10 pages, and if everyone can play nice it won't get locked.

Letís get started then.
First off my tech articles are accurate, vetted by two other engineers, both in the automotive industry.
I wish I made millions, not likely though, it does allow me to travel all over North America though.
That is what my truck is designed for, comfortable travel all over north America, visiting sites I want to go to, old mines, abandoned towns, closed airfields, hunting for crash sites and doing search and rescue.
It is not about just running trails, and she isnít a trailer queen. I built her to make me happy, and could give a dam what other may think.

I have done most of the nasty trails and some you youngens will never find because with that sort of attitude I am not going to tell you.

Modifications as follows:
300 Tdi motor to replace the stock 2.5na, transmission is from a td5, an r380, t-case ratio is 4.11. Power steering pressure side hose is the same as found on backhoes pressure lines.
Front bumper is a copy of a very old style I first saw back in the 70s that were very popular on the Ford Bronco; I liked it so I made one.
Front recovery rings are lift rings I bought at Boeing for $5 a pound rather that the 100.00 each that SG was charging. Front winch is a Superwinch 9000; soon to be replaced with a Husky 10 Steel was replaced by rope, because it is safer. I also have a dedicated winch light and interior winch controls. The 9000 will eventually be mounted under the truck in the rear, if I can figure a way around my auxiliary diesel tank. Fuel selector is from Anderson Brass.
Front and rear marker and signal lights are LED, because they use less power.
I have a Mantec snorkel I salvaged off my Discovery and modified it to fit.
Cage is Safety Devices, again for safety.
Roof rack is a Discovery rack shortened to fit, because I like the way it follows the roofline. I also use it for photography and bringing things home I purchase at salvage yards, both automotive and aircraft. Also handy spot to mount my 4 IPF lights on the front, 2 wide 2 spot. These are soon to be replaced with KC HID lights, because they provide better light at a lower power demand. I made a hoop to keep the trees off the lights, it worked on the discovery, and only one lamp got bent when I rolled on them. Rear work light is a basic Hella, side work light is a ratted out old fog light, both are to soon be replaced with a pair of light from GoLight, these are motorized and rotate 300+ degrees as well as up and down, because I like them, and they give me more options for providing light for whatever.
The rear ladder I made, because I could.
Donít remember the make of the rear tire mount, but it is identical to the UK MOD tire hanger, and I got it from DAP, it does a great job of taking the weight off the door and the price was right.
Reverse light is an aftermarket glow light, I like the green glow and I got 3 sets for 10.00.
Front fog lights are from Piaa. I also have a backup alarm, which is on a two-way relay so I can turn it off when off road.
Rear bumper is a copy of a bumper I saw on the RN web site without the trailer socket and made of heavier steel tube. Included is a HiLift pin adapter point each side. Rear recovery point is a U and pin.
The sliders are made to match the Defender sills, but made of structural steel.
Wheels are MJ Lee Mach5 not bad wheels but hard to balance.
Side protection are tubes made to fit just above the roll, because I tend to run into trees a lot, always have, right back to motocross in the 70s. They are currently patent pending; really have to talk to the lawyer about that.
Front axel has and ARB, 4.11 gears, McNamara axels and hardened CVs with up-speced cages.
Rear axel has an ARB, 4.11 gears and again McNamera axels, the casing was from my disko because the MOD defender I started with had drums and I wanted disc.
Brake lines are custom made stainless; the maker adds a couple of layers of tubing to make them stronger.
QT Services diff guards, Tom Woods drive shafts, RTE front and rear arms and springs, as well as A arm extension and relocation cones. Shocks are Rancho rs9000rcx with the pump option, I like the idea of adjustability from inside the truck, also helps eliminate wobble on rutted highways.
Tie rods are from Keith, he makes good stuff, Rancho stabilizer.
Inside there is a screen on the cage to keep back stuff in the back.
Front seats are form my discovery because they are comfortable and since I tend to drive off on 6-day drives, comfort is king.
I have a Tuffy consol in the front and a Tuffy toolbox in the rear as well as two Tuffy boxes down each side.

Attached to the screen is a fold down shelf that keeps the soft camping stuff up out of the way. Camping hard gear is in a storage box, soon to be replaced, maybe Pelican, not sure though.
My steering column is from my discovery; I like the tilt, makes for a nice change after long hours on the road and with power steering I donít need the big Series III wheel that it came with.
Overhead in the front is a consol which holds the CB and switches for lights and other accessories. The drivers side rear window was removed and replaced with a Lexan window with a high volume computer-cooling fan mounted to blow out, it helps keep the air moving inside.
Inside roof is lined with deck foam sticky back type, it does a great job of cancelling some of the noise. All hollow spots in the body structure are filled with Insulating foam, again to help keep noise down.
Front area is covered everywhere with a product called B-Quiet, similar to Dynamat, but not made of ashfault.
The dash is a custom fabricated design, I like, sort of based on the discovery and the new Range Rover. My design, meant to please me. All the original instruments have been replaced with VDO, because they work well, and have a very good reputation.
My current GPS is Garman 182c, I also have a Delphi GPS with the traffic option so I get warning of back ups and can reroute around stopped traffic, and a Garman Legend hand held for use outside the truck. One of the GPS units feeds my laptop, which is mounted on a Ram Mount desk. I also have a Ram Mount cup holder, itís cool and I like it.
I have both front and rear video cameras; both feed recorders, and have separate screens.
A backup camera is a good thing when you have kids who tend to leave stuff around.
For on the road tunes I have a Pioneer AVH-p5900dvd, with a sub amp and a 4 way amp @ 240 amps, I think. Six speakers and a sub are from Pioneer as well. All enclosures are custom made to fit and the sub is in a ported enclosure. Why, because I like good sound when I am traveling, I also have XM via a Delphi receiver.
I run two Odyssey batteries (PC1500) with an isolator on the charge side and electronic selector on the power side to link them or not. Itís a Swiss made something or other I got from DAP; to test out before they brought them into stock. I have known AL for years and years, long before Steve got there.
The wiring harness has been completely replaced, I reused all the wire from my Discovery to match wire colours and add circuits and relays, I also got parts from Del-City, and waterproof connectors from PEI-Genesis called Sure-Seal.
The horn is a train signal powered from an onboard compressor and 2 gallon tank, also allows for airing up after playing on rock, and it will power air tools, being 100% duty cycle.
I put all external wiring in conduit, flexible plastic type, because that is the best way to hide and protect it. All external brackets are made of stainless steel.
All connections are made in waterproof electrical boxes from home depot.
Hood and front fenders have 5-bar checker plate cover, fender covers Pendy and I made, the hood cover I got from DAP.
I carry a spare 110 CV just in case I need it or someone else does, I also have a fuel pump, water pump, hoses and belts, all fluids and spare filters and a full complement of tools and electrical bits.
I think that about covers it, might be more since I have done a lot to her to make her fit me and what I like.
This is not just a trail capable rig, but also an expedition truck that can carry enough to sustain me off the road for a week or more.
Like I said it is for me, the way I like it.
I did this in Word and itís 9:45, you will have to wait for pictures itís a bit dark out right now, and the pictures take a bit of work to fit the forum limit, my camera takes 10 meg pictures.

Comments?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 22339
Send a message via AIM to BigRedB2
one picture is worth...well...about 45 minutes of typing. You must be fairly new to bulletins boards. hate to sound like a dick....but if you post a pic and we see something we want to know more about we'll ask. otherwise everyone is gonna read about the first 8 words or so....the click the back button.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21704
Yes post some pictures. From when you first got it and some progression of its build. Its a good start though. People can look at the pictures later and then go back to the description.

Try not to goad the "youngens" with comments about them. It will only cause you grief. And waste bandwidth. Just face it-your not one of the Kewl Kids and never will be. But you got your "two shoes" to keep you company.

I'm not to Kewl myself. But I do an imitation on the intraweb that gets overlooked sometimes.

Stick to the facts on the truck and just answer questions and direct comments in that direction for a while. It might help your pharmacist pill count a bit.

JP

"bigger on the internet"
Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 21405
The only "kewl" thing I see listed is the train horn. Oh the fun I could have with that for about 20-minutes until it got old.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances with Trees View Post
Someone locked the last thread,
That somebody would be me.

Please stop posting crappy/drama tech, so I will not get more complaints from the natives!

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old 09-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 21704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DChapman View Post
The only "kewl" thing I see listed is the train horn. Oh the fun I could have with that for about 20-minutes until it got old.
So what are you saying? You might come around and play nice for a bit. Maybe even give him a few pointers on how to clean his act up. At least "clean" it up to exsist in a world according "Dchapman" Or a world similar to.

Lets not lose sight here.

300 tdi
td5 spec R380
1.4 LT 230
4.10 gears n' ARB's
fancy kit to hold the axles in place and keep it steering straight after landing on a rock
Real Safety Devices roll cage-not headgear
Working winch-not a trophy truck example.

The rest of it is really just a pretty kilt to lure the type of sheep he takes to. With green oval parts available to suit.

"bigger on the internet"
Old 09-18-2007, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 21405
Like I said, Jim. The truck has some really desirable components to it. But the execution is horrible. No sense in makeing comments on how "dchapamn" would want it, and that was not my point in the first thread. As others have mentioned, a picture is worth a 1000-words. This truck is not SEMA material.

This truck is like the trucks we built in high school. 1984 Toyota, rip out the bench seat and add some sweet Honda Accord buckets; tent the windows with tent from Advance Auto and a dull razor blade; grind out the rust in the fender wells, pack it with body filler, sand it with 100-grit and call it a day; turn the air filter top up-side-down so it would make that kewl "wooommmmm" sound when you got on the gas; Grateful Dead stickers; some sweet 10" MTX speaker boxes with the built in horn tweeters and Jenson 1,000x4 amp (RMS power may be 20x4); some American Racing steel wheels and Buckshot Mudders; T-handle gear shift handle; Roll bar bolted to the bed with some carriage bolts; 4 KC Day Lighters with the yellow smilie face covers and burn holes in them; have of the letter on the tail gate removed so it read "YO"; and of course the big sticker on the top side of the windshield.........

After "building" a few of these trucks we got tired of the cheapfuck way of doing things. We learned that this shit was not "kewl" and it was in fact a little ridiculous. Worse yet, KW has done this ridiculous shit to a Land Rover. Not only has KW claimed to have "35 years experence" in building vehicles on numorious occasions, he's totally went back to the "1990's way of cheapfuck truck building".

I can't word it any better than Mr. Hammond can here as to what a Land Rover should look and feel like. I love this clip and I think he hits the nail on the head. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=6 If you look at these real Land Rovers and then look back at KW's "land rover", the distention is clear. But if it suits KW's style, thats fine with me. But should it repersent a real Land Rover at SEMA?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Dan:
I don't know if you've ever been to an international Rover event (and I've only been to one) but, I suspect you might be surprised to find what the rest of the world thinks of its Rovers.

To a great degree, MY truck would stand out from a lot of those I saw in the UK. Talk about booty fab. The two-door Disco without a straight panel (those that were still there, how it passed the MOT, I don't know) and covered with mud was a good example.

What a Land Rover should look like indeed

Just because you would do it differently does not make it wrong, nor does it make Kevin's truck less of a Rover (yes, there are things I would have done and said differently).

Let's see some pics dammit, 10brazilian pixels be damned, if I can post pics here, anybody can!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 21936
I'm guessing that not everyone knows the back story on why Kevin built the D90???

I seem to recall that once upon a time there was a Disco that had an encounter with a tree ... and ensuing discussion with an "insurance" company, that may have led to the build of a D90 ....

... though I could be wrong ...

I'm jsut thinking that if folks knew the 'why" the result might make more sense ... of course, you've gotta know KW too

I do like the "Mary Kay" sticker, though I haven't seen a photo of it recently.

... off to find my wellies and pith helmet ...

KAA
Old 09-19-2007, 05:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 13704
Send a message via AIM to ABrooks
I promised myself I wouldn't get involved in the dweb-ness of this, but . . .

my greatest takeaway from that was how often he said he did something "because he liked it" or "because he could" -- seems to me that embodies what we've been preaching on here for years.

Like him or not, that's a pretty healthy attitude to have.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 1745
Send a message via AIM to 64rovr
Dan.

300tdi, R380, ARBs are cheapfuck? And you relate your teenage toyota building years to this how? You're a dumbass.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11256
so is that a 4 to1 gearing or a 1.4 gearing in the LT230? Seems like a decent build although I am curious about the expanding foam everywhere I know the second that I would put foam in a cavity in my truck would be the instant I randomly need to get inside that cavity because some wierd wire is in there.

The light comments crack me up. Also with the original thread I though you were going retro "rat rod" and the super blingy GoLight's ect seem to be heading in a different direction. I guess I'll hold my commentary until the pictures arrive. In all reality as long as you drive it you're about two years ahead of me, so I can't judge. if it works for you run it.

I'm sure you'd get a long great here as another "character" if you'd be a little less pretentious, but what do I know to quote a short fat man I'm "just being an e-badass"

-ben
Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8768
Quote:
Originally Posted by m016324 View Post
...but what do I know to quote a short fat man I'm "just being an e-badass"

-ben
Keep working on your 'E-badd-assed-ness' Ben. I know you have it in you.

I think I'll buy a pith helmet. No wait, that's been done. How about a kilt? *THEN* I'd be a character.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 14944
If you want to se some serious cheap ass work, my shit will be at MAR.

Come see me in all my "one man SEMA style spray paint cheap ass polished turd" greatness, upper meadow.

I love the repeated phrases of grandeur-
I have done most of the nasty trails and some you youngens will never find because with that sort of attitude I am not going to tell you.

As if you could possibly know where any of us have been. I am all for doing your own thing, but DWT just strikes me as an unneccessary bit of pomp. I am still curious to see all the sponsorships, or will this turn into another MO rant about why the rest of the world will not play nice with Kevin and Steve...
Old 09-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 21405
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64rovr View Post
Dan.

300tdi, R380, ARBs are cheapfuck? And you relate your teenage toyota building years to this how? You're a dumbass.
You can pick up a 300tdi, transmission, t-case for $5,500.00. How is that going "all out"? You've got to have a motor, he just chose the 300tdi, and for good reason.

I relate my "teenage Toyota building years" to this by doing exactly what KW did with his POS; used what was there for cheap. We built them cheaply, put them together crappy, and we could care less if it lasted a day or a year. At that time we thought that looked cool and we did not care what other thought.

KW claims to have "35 years Experience" in building vehicles. And, he may have just that. But it's apparent that his skills have not developed past year 2. Even a "rat rod" have a sense of style and cool ness to it. Actually, Rat Road are very cool:

Simple, low budget vehicles. Even with no paint these truck look badass. One look at them and you say "awesome". You don't care if it's Ford, Chevy or what motor is in it; you don't care what paint is on it. THAT is a "Rat Rod".

An old Land Rover is a beautiful thing, too.

And this picture is just badass and an excellent example of what LR should have a SEMA.

Then, we have this, lol:

If this is KW's dream truck or if it's his style, dude, I'm fine with that. But, don't come out blazing that this truck is badass. He's destroyed what could have been a nice truck. He had a nice base with the body and drivetrain, but then added a Disco seat? Disco steering column? Handicap rails to the side? Disco roofrack? Goofy snorkel? Ill fitting sliders? Etc Etc Etc......... The truck is not badass. The truck is not nice. The truck is not desirable, anymore. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....but SEMA??? Give me a break. This is nearly a some high schoolers dream truck.

Last edited by DChapman; 09-19-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 33267
First I Apologies to the younger folk, most people who actually know me know were i am coming from and just accept it. i am a very different individual, a bit eccentric by all means. My truck is NOT representing Land Rover, it is there to attract attention to my primary sponsor.
I would also like to apologies for the poor picture quality, I shot those with my old Sony.
I will shoot more shots as things progress.
One thing I did notice Land Rover seemed to see fit to not run any wires in the various cavities in the firewall. I am also building my own harness to remove all the Lucas smoke prone wire and connectors.

So comments anyone?

have a great day
Kevin
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16003
Looks like a truck that has seen some miles, has some good points, and some major booty fab with the short stinger and chopped disco roof rack. To me, not something I would expect to see at SEMA...I would question why a company would show that, when there are MANY other LR classics , done right without the booty...

qucik edit...could you clean the lens
2001 D2 Ruffstuff front/rear/ARB/Detroit, Longs, 80 series, 37" creepy's, 14" ADS 2.125 Coilovers, 1.6 lt230 w/Ashcroft Under Drive PSC hydro steering Hellfire Hi Steer Knuckles...a lot of revisions and a lot of weldin'
1983 110 RHD Pick-up

Last edited by mongosd2; 09-19-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 7703
Im not a LR owner, nor am I going to comment on anything outside my knowledge base. BUT-I have built a vehicle that was featured at SEMA twice to be exact. One year it was in Superwinchs' booth. I am in the process of wrapping up another for a lift/suspension company for this year.

To put it mildly-that aint a SEMA display vehicle. Sure you can pay to put your ride outside, but who toots thier horn about that? I must have missed the point somewhere or maybe it was stated before-where is this vehicle going to be this year?

Save The Hammers #956
Old 09-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 11256
meh ... sliders are a little ghetto, rear bumper looks shoddy, front bumper is interesting. Would you mind some pics of the inside I was quite looking forward to seeing the dash and such. Especially with the orange expanding foam coming out of the random holes in the defender bulkhead.

-ben
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by m016324 View Post
meh ... sliders are a little ghetto, rear bumper looks shoddy, front bumper is interesting.

-ben
How can you tell with those pics? I can take pics better than those!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 61384
Is that a Bill Burke sticker in the rear window. Surely that will give it some kudos at Sema..LOL.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 9768
Ok, a couple comments/questions.

Kevin, you have mentioned having sponsors. What events do you compete in, or are you more of a spokesman?

As for rat rods,

any more picks of the 57 Chevrolet pickup?

and for the funnay!

this is the Chitty Rover! http://news.windingroad.com/aftermar...tty-bang-bang/

shit, here come that damn song again
[humming]Oh the posh posh traveling life, the traveling life for me[/humming]

-Jeff
Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 13683
I just threw up in my mouth a little when I saw those pics.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Chitty Rover, eh?

Looks mighty familiar!
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 35998
Send a message via MSN to fridgefreezer Send a message via Yahoo to fridgefreezer
Sorry if this is a hijack but all this talk of well-worn land rovers reminded me of this photo from the S1 Club stand at Billing:

The one on the right is a fully restored Tickford and worth $loads, but the one next to it is just the embodiment of LR for me.
For those playing along at home, I think that's RR #1 or possibly #2 in the background.