Real power steering pump - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
Real power steering pump

here are a couple of quick pics of a bracket I made to mount a PSC power steering pump in my Disco thing. Any Saginaw "P" pump would work... I'll post some install pics later in the week.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
Test fit. pulley lines up.. need longer belt.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Looks nice Alex.

You're going to post up the .dwf files for us all next, right?
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
PT, no measurement tools were harmed (or used) in the production of this abomination
Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
Slipped a bit of tubing over the bolts between the two brackets, and added a support that mounts to one of the water pump bolts. Think I should weld this to the bracket? Other than maybe welding this piece, its done, just needs paint.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Alex:
That pump looks suspiciously like a multiple vee belt pump off of an earlier Rover. I wonder if some of those brackets might not be more roubst.

While I'm impressed with your no-measuring tool fabrication, it does look a little spindly, but it might just be the pictures not doing your inspired fab work justice. The rear fitting looks like it pretty much rules out trying to modify the OEM pump bracket for a serpentine belted engine, or, is there enough clearance to go that route with a 90' fitting? I'm sure you investigated that option before re-inventing the wheel though!

If it weren't for everything being dependent upon that single belt, I'd be less concerned about the spindly appearance.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
This is the same pump (externally) that's in my 3/4 ton GMC. Its about double the size of the stock rover pump (TC style) and no way in hell does it fit in the stock location, let alone in the stock mount. The brackets are made of 1/4", with four, 3/8" bolts holding them together. The pump is mounted to the outer bracket with 4, 10mm bolts, and the rear bracket with 1, 10mm bolt. The rear bracket is bolted to the head with 3, 3/8" bolts, and the front bracket is also connected to one of the water pump bolts with a 1"x1/4" strap.

I would have liked to make the mount one piece, boxed it on at least one side, but that is just not possible here. One of the bolts that goes in the head is behind the body of the pump, and would be impossible to reach if the mount was one piece.

Maybe I should weld the strap that goes to the water pump onto the other bracket, just to make the assembly a bit more rigid.

Other than making the mount all one piece, ideally it should have another screw into the head perpendicular to the current mounting (to keep it from flexing forward and backwards) but there's really no good place to put it, other than maybe one of the exhaust manifold bolts. I don't really want to go there because of the heat, however.

Hopefully it will be solid enough. we'll find out.

By comparison the stock mounts on my tow rig are made of 1/8" stamped steel, although they do have a bit of a reinforcing lip around them to keep them from flexing.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
By the way, here is where I got my inspiration for this (thanks Keith )

http://www.washbrook.net/Stage%208.htm (scroll almost to the bottom of the page)

Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 12499
LOL, somewhere in the old shop, I had a two piece aluminium mount that I made to do the exact same thing, but I got stymied trying to remove the damned three bolt flange from the ZF pump and moved on to other projects.

Is the PSC pump too big left to right, or front to back to fit in a modified OEM serpentine bracket

Either way, your and Keith's brackets are probably much stronger than what GM or Rover did or would have done. It's so nice to not be constrained by the demands of large scale production economics and OEM-enforced LTAs.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 58189
So does the stock pulley just bolt up to the pump? Looks interesting.
[COLOR="Red"]JV Rally Post #1094[/COLOR]
whiteDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteDI View Post
So does the stock pulley just bolt up to the pump? Looks interesting.
I've there's anything I've learned in the last few years with this Rover, is that nothing ever just bolts up to anything. Keith turned down the ID of the stock pulley adapter to fit the P-pump shaft.

Last edited by darkstar; 05-28-2008 at 09:53 AM.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 14944
will the increase in pressure necessitate any changes to the box? Looks good, I wish I had the time and talent to fab.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
this pump doesn't put out more pressure than the one I have in there now (just more flow).

the only change I'm going to make to this box, if it comes down to that, is to get rid of it... long story.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
PT, here are some side by side pics with the pump I was using and the new one. The one I had in there is not a stock pump, but it is the same size and bolts right in.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2008, 05:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Thanx. Did you do any mods to the GM pump, or just bolt it right in?

I was gonna put one on a '95 LWB but given the proximity to the distributor, I didn't want my first experience using one of the GM pumps to be on someone else's truck. I'll probably be needing a new pump on either my LWB or my Disco soon enough (did I just jinx myself?) then I can be just like the cool kids. I've realized I'm just not as cool so I'll have to settle for being a poor facsimile

Have you heard "Great Caesar's Ghost"? They play a lot of them on XM. Warren Heynes told them they couldn't play a festival where the Mule was playing because "Who wants somebody on stage that plays my music better than I do?". Very Dead-ish, Allman's-ish cool jams.

Peace,
PT

ps-are you sure Darkstar is a good screen name? Given how the song starts
Old 05-30-2008, 05:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
Thanx. Did you do any mods to the GM pump, or just bolt it right in?
the TC pump was shimmed and ported. the new one is from PSC and shouldn't need any mods

Quote:
I was gonna put one on a '95 LWB but given the proximity to the distributor, I didn't want my first experience using one of the GM pumps to be on someone else's truck. I'll probably be needing a new pump on either my LWB or my Disco soon enough (did I just jinx myself?) then I can be just like the cool kids. I've realized I'm just not as cool so I'll have to settle for being a poor facsimile
Do it. just try to find one with the inlets and outlets that are the same as the ZF pump. I didn't do this, and had to do a bit of creative plumbing. Even a stock saginaw pump is quite a bit more robust than the crappy ZF pump.

Quote:
Have you heard "Great Caesar's Ghost"? They play a lot of them on XM. Warren Heynes told them they couldn't play a festival where the Mule was playing because "Who wants somebody on stage that plays my music better than I do?". Very Dead-ish, Allman's-ish cool jams.

Peace,
PT

ps-are you sure Darkstar is a good screen name? Given how the song starts
Haven't heard of them, but I'll see if I can find something. always looking to add good stuff to the collection. as for the screen name, that's kinda a legacy thing. after all these years I'm pretty much committed to it...
Old 05-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
Its no DXF, but here it is the template. I have a hi-res scan if you want it.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
Here it is, all installed, plumbed and working.

The belt is Gates part #k070931, 15/16"x93-5/8", 7 rib.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 122390
PT - did you swap in the Saginaw yet?

Is the stock gear box up to steering big tires with the improved pump behind it?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 32883
Looks good. Now if we could just get a steering box that was worth a shit.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiqulatendisco View Post
Looks good. Now if we could just get a steering box that was worth a shit.
Not possible. I tried.

Awesome work Darkstar! It's very cool that you have room to get a standard rotation pump in there. I have to run reverse rotation and it has been a nightmare getting it all going.

Any chance I can buy one of those press on rover pully mounts from you? I need one for the spare pump I carry!

Thank you all for your support

Widia Cutting Tools [url]www.widia.com[/url]
Sterling Autosport [url]www.sterlingautosport.com/[/url]
PSC [url]www.pscmotorsports.com/[/url]
Ruffstuff [url]www.ruffstuffspecialties.com[/url]
Tom Woods Drive Shafts [url]www.4xshaft.com[/url]
[url]www.facebook.com/buckwildracing[/url]
Buckon37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13047
someone's been diggin.. this thread is from almost a year ago.

As for the press on pulley--its a stock pulley. the centerbore on the adapter needs to be machined out to 3/4 (if I'm not mistaken). Keith took care of that for me.

Edit--by the way, this setup worked just fine with the rover steering box. I had no problems. With 40" tires, the steering wasn't 1-finger, but there was more than enough assist to turn the tires under any circumstances that I encountered while running the setup. I'll be using the same pump (with a 1600 psi valve body, instead of the 1300 psi one I got it with) to run my full hyrdro... if I ever get my rig back together, that is.

Last edited by darkstar; 02-08-2009 at 12:03 AM.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 26821
didnt strangerover have a rr box on his mogrover, running mogs and 42's...

Serg
uninformed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 122390
Thanks Alex. Not 1 finger steering now! LOL I'm looking at something between 35 and 40 in. in the tire dept., so I should be good to go with the stock box. Good to know about whoring out the hole in the pulley too, that was my next Q. I've got a Saginaw pump in my Dodge 3/4 t van I'm going to pull before I call Goodwill and let them tow it off.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by knudsen View Post
PT - did you swap in the Saginaw yet?
Yeah right! Given the ease of install and low cost of the GM pump that Alex posted, I don't know that I see the need.

As to my current status, check out the thread on Dweb, I'll have more pics of the body rot activity. I don't wanna call it a build, I don't think it rates being called a build-up and it sure as Hell won't be a restoration. Perhaps patching is the best description.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.