FOX 2.0 remote resi revalve questions. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 99425
FOX 2.0 remote resi revalve questions.

no one on DWEB is helping me out so i'm bring this here.

i'm buying a used set of FOX 2.0 remote resi 10" travel shocks for the rear of my rover on monday and i'm going to order a rebuild kit and new valve stacks to adjust the compression and rebound to be perfectly suited for my discovery.

i'm done a good bit of reading and there have been people saying to use either 85/95 or 90/100 compression/rebound. however, on polyperformance, where i'm buying all the rebuild parts, the stacks only go up to #90.

so do i buy two separate stacks to get the 95 or 100 rebound? for the 95 i would get the 65 and 30 rebound stacks, and for the 100, i would buy the 70 and 30 rebound stacks and put them together?

i'm running 2" RTE MD springs and a 1" spacer. i keep a cargo box, all my tools, and most of my camping gear in my car all the time. it has a steel rear bumper and sliders,etc...

i just want to make sure i rebuild these correctly. i'm order all new seals as well.

should i put new oil in while i'm at it? and would a gallon or a quart of Fox oil be necessary for two shocks?
michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels View Post
no one on DWEB is helping me out so i'm bring this here.

i'm buying a used set of FOX 2.0 remote resi 10" travel shocks for the rear of my rover on monday and i'm going to order a rebuild kit and new valve stacks to adjust the compression and rebound to be perfectly suited for my discovery.

i'm done a good bit of reading and there have been people saying to use either 85/95 or 90/100 compression/rebound. however, on polyperformance, where i'm buying all the rebuild parts, the stacks only go up to #90.

so do i buy two separate stacks to get the 95 or 100 rebound? for the 95 i would get the 65 and 30 rebound stacks, and for the 100, i would buy the 70 and 30 rebound stacks and put them together?

i'm running 2" RTE MD springs and a 1" spacer. i keep a cargo box, all my tools, and most of my camping gear in my car all the time. it has a steel rear bumper and sliders,etc...

i just want to make sure i rebuild these correctly. i'm order all new seals as well.

should i put new oil in while i'm at it? and would a gallon or a quart of Fox oil be necessary for two shocks?
Who says 95/100 rebound? Who are you listening to? That sounds nuts to me. I don't know your rig, or what you drive like, but that sounds foreign.

Of course you want to change the oil. Get the gallon. Drain completely and fill to the exact oil height. You won't need it all but it is good to have around. I think it is 6in on the reservior after "pumping". Hard to remember. If I were you, I would call John Marking at Fox in El Cajon. I think that is his name, it's been a while. Get your rig weighed and talk to a tech there to get the starting range. Tune from there.

Chances are, you won't know the difference between a well tuned shock and a standard one. In fact. I would do the standard old 60/40 and run them. Make adjustements from there.

Thank you all for your support

Widia Cutting Tools [url]www.widia.com[/url]
Sterling Autosport [url]www.sterlingautosport.com/[/url]
PSC [url]www.pscmotorsports.com/[/url]
Ruffstuff [url]www.ruffstuffspecialties.com[/url]
Tom Woods Drive Shafts [url]www.4xshaft.com[/url]
[url]www.facebook.com/buckwildracing[/url]
Buckon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 99425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Who says 95/100 rebound? Who are you listening to? That sounds nuts to me. I don't know your rig, or what you drive like, but that sounds foreign.

Of course you want to change the oil. Get the gallon. Drain completely and fill to the exact oil height. You won't need it all but it is good to have around. I think it is 6in on the reservior after "pumping". Hard to remember. If I were you, I would call John Marking at Fox in El Cajon. I think that is his name, it's been a while. Get your rig weighed and talk to a tech there to get the starting range. Tune from there.

Chances are, you won't know the difference between a well tuned shock and a standard one. In fact. I would do the standard old 60/40 and run them. Make adjustements from there.
85/95 or 90/100 compression/rebound is what i've been hearing from a lot of people.

the 85/95 is what a lot of people have recommended, with the 90/100 being for trucks more heavily laden.. they compared the 85/95 to bilstein's 380/90 numbers and the 90/100 to bilstein's 400/100 numbers.

the truck is a DII. it has sliders, front and rear bumpers and a winch up front. i keep probably 100lbs of gear in the back at all times, more when i'm loaded up for a trip. it's a heavy truck.

these are the numbers i've always heard for rear shock valving.

Last edited by michaels; 05-03-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 99425
from the mind of marc_olivares via expedition portal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc olivares
under every rubber damper on the fox shock, fox scribes the valving.
most off the shelf fox shocks come 40/60 but for a rover you will want to be in the 85/95, 90/100, 95/105 range depending on what kind of spring rate run and load you carry. there is no "one shock fits all" valving.
85/95 front and 90/100 rear pretty common
Old 05-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels View Post
from the mind of marc_olivares via expedition portal.
How much does your truck weigh? Are you pushing 8k? I guess it could be right, I don't know your truck. I have a feeling that people are going way to stiff to compensate for other issues.

Thank you all for your support

Widia Cutting Tools [url]www.widia.com[/url]
Sterling Autosport [url]www.sterlingautosport.com/[/url]
PSC [url]www.pscmotorsports.com/[/url]
Ruffstuff [url]www.ruffstuffspecialties.com[/url]
Tom Woods Drive Shafts [url]www.4xshaft.com[/url]
[url]www.facebook.com/buckwildracing[/url]

Last edited by Buckon37s; 05-03-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Buckon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 99425
Quote:
How much does your truck weigh? Are you pushing 8k? I guess it could be right, I don't know your truck. I have a feeling that people are going way to stiff to compensate for other issues.
hmm... well what my truck weighs aside, how would i achieve 85/95 or 90/100 when the valve stacks only go up to 90?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 15184
Quote:
I have a feeling that people are going way to stiff to compensate for other issues.
Yep... I've got my Fox 2.0s valved stiff due to the 3" lift and no sway bars. Definitely compensating...
Scrambler Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 59532
You're right with the #'s. I'm not sure how FOX figures it (it does compare to the 400 /100 Bilstien) but the 90 /100 is right on for a 5500lb Disco. They'll still heat up off road though. Call FOX and they can send you a chart that goes "off the chart"...with the right valve stack info.

Matt Browne
Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?
'61 88" IIA 2.5na "Soiled"
'89 RRC 300 Tdi 5spd "Swampslut"
'95 RRC LWB 300 Tdi auto
www.overlandengineering.com.....expansion complete. Now, the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine....is also the biggest.
Junkyddog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 99425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyddog11 View Post
You're right with the #'s. I'm not sure how FOX figures it (it does compare to the 400 /100 Bilstien) but the 90 /100 is right on for a 5500lb Disco. They'll still heat up off road though. Call FOX and they can send you a chart that goes "off the chart"...with the right valve stack info.
thanks. i'll give them a call on monday.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 59532
I probably shouldn't have said "right on" for a 55oold disco....it is the max rebound that those shocks can handle. It still is not really enough in my book and they get hot and fade. Asking allot from a little shock.

Matt Browne
Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?
'61 88" IIA 2.5na "Soiled"
'89 RRC 300 Tdi 5spd "Swampslut"
'95 RRC LWB 300 Tdi auto
www.overlandengineering.com.....expansion complete. Now, the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine....is also the biggest.
Junkyddog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 120813
FOX 2.0 remote resi revalve question

Note that the Bilstein valving data given is only at one shaft speed, I think it is measured at 3 metres per second (I will check) whereas the Fox valve info is a percentage, one of which is actually twice the value of the other (again I can't remember whether 50% rebound = 100% bump or vice-versa but you get the idea).

You can also get some interesting effects by changing the pistons - I recently had the valving changed on the Fox 12 x 2.0 emulsion dampers fitted to my Bowler - I was amazed at how much difference three hours of work can make - initial test-drive, modify rear, test drive and be impressed, modify front and drive home amazed. It is worth between 10 and 15mph in cornering speed whether on tarmac or trail with no ill-effect on articulation.

PM me if you want to know more...I know an excellent suspension engineer and Fox agent in the UK who deals direct with the USA.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 20109
http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...ls.htm#offroad

How to valve above 90 is explained here....

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...icalManual.pdf
Old 05-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 99425
max gave me a good link of a palce that sells shims in 95 and 100. so i'm good to go on this issue. thanks.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 99425
sooo.... i'm just now getting to this. i can't get the cap off the main reservoir (where the shaft enters the assembly). any tips? i'm bending my spanner wrench everytime i try to unscrew. would heat be a bad idea on this end?

i've gotten as far as removing the remote reservoir and dumping the oil.

thanks.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Texas by GOD

Member # 69765
Rear? 95/105.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 13683
Yes, you will likely want 95/100 or even higher. That is generally what I have always valved fox shocks for D90's and up.

I have even gone off the fox chart once or twice. Fox valving is pretty light. And the factory will always give you a rate that is way to low.

To get the higher valving, you must buy extra valving packs. Then double up the main shim if I recall. But refer to the chart of fox to be sure as it's been a couple years since I revalved a fox.

PS, you will not be covering up a problem, but merely realizing the difference in driving a truck on the street and some good off roading vs racing.

Last edited by Puffdragon; 05-15-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Puffdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 99425
i got 90/100. i don't keep much weight in the truck these days (only a couple tool boxes now), but the valving isn't what i'm having trouble with right now. it's getting this damned cap off the body. i'm gonna go weld up a stronger wrench and heat up the parts a bit to try to get it off.

i watched a video on how to do it and it seems prettys traight forward from where i am now. here's the link for future reference to anyone.

YouTube - Rebuilding a Fox Off Road Shock.mov
Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 13683
Yes, light heat even from a really good heat gun should release the cap. Don't go crazy with a torch, it wont really take that much heat. Hopefully you have a good soft jaw vice as this make a huge difference.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 99425
ok. i used the plasma and made a new spanner wrench out of 1/4" steel. drilled some holes for some metal rods as the pegs, and the shock cap came right out. no heat was needed. the spanner wrench i already had just wasn't up to the task.

now just to reassemble. the coilover bible helped a good bit. here's a link for future searches:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...lovers/Part_2/

and here's the tool i made:

Last edited by michaels; 05-15-2011 at 03:11 PM.