T-converter slipping? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 190223
T-converter slipping?

I was driving up a steep hill (close to 100% grade) on rock and compacted dirt at low speed. My '98 Disco 1 with 4.0/auto stopped making progress on the hill. The engine was spinning but the wheels weren't turning. The center differential was in locked position, transfercase in low. I pressed the accelerator down more but I could not get forward progress or even wheel slippage. What's going on? It seems like it has to be the torque converter slipping. I did the hill with a higher speed approach but it worries me. It's bad enough I can't skid down a hill with the ABS, but roll down faster than I'd like -- now I can't get up a hill and might end up rolling down backwards!

Do I need a new torque converter? Any help appreciated.

Last edited by Nevada Ben; 05-13-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Nevada Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 169188
Could also be clutches in the trans not holding. Either way, have a look at your fluid.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 190223
Yeah, that could be it because I just changed the fluid (quick drain and fill way). I wonder if it doesn't like the new fluid I used.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 88052
Not enough transmission particles in the new fluid, all that clutch material and metallic dust float in the fluid was what kept it functional.
BigBlueToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 190223
Seriously? Is that like the protective coating that seems to keep my dog functional too?

Yeah, so I checked it and it was about 6 oz overfilled but I corrected that. The new fluid is Castrol Transynd which I buy for my Allison. It should be backward compatible with Dexron IV and III. I guess I'll give it a little time and see if it works itself out.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 12499
How many miles on this truck?

There are many husbands of old wives who tell tales of autoboxes failing shortly after having had the old fluid flushed out. The theory is that the friction material that was suspended in the oil was what was making the transmission work.

Flush that stuff out and it don't go no more.

Then again, you used something other than Dexron and I'm not sure that was something I would have done.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 190223
111,000 on this Land Rover. According to Carfax, the transmission was replaced under warranty at 39K (three owners ago), so there's about 81k on the transmission.

It seems to be working ok at this point. I tried another steep grade today but lost traction on loose rock. At least it was spinning the wheels fore and aft. I need to test some more.