The Eagle has left the nest... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 164742
The Eagle has left the nest...

http://imgur.com/a/ahEPU
antisoshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 190061
Quote:
Originally Posted by antisoshal View Post
Did you sell this, or are you buying this?
jafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 164742
its being delivered to me. Bought the original truck a year ago and had the rest done to it by people more qualified and competent than myself.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16003
Just curious, how much for the tdi swap?
2001 D2 Ruffstuff LC 80 series front/rear/ARB/Detroit, Longs, 37" creepy's, 14" ADS 2.125 Coilovers, 1.6 lt230 w/Ashcroft Under Drive PSC hydro steering Hellfire Hi Steer Knuckles...a lot of revisions and a lot of weldin'
1983 110 RHD Pick-up
mongosd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 164742
To be perfectly honest I couldn't tell you at the moment. I don't have an itemized bill yet and a lot more than that was done. It should get here Saturday and Keith has indicated there will be a folder containing details of everything done and what it cost. Beyond the engine, almost every moving part was more or less replaced and upgraded, including Defender brakes, new lines, trailing arms, ARB diffs, axles and such. It was a bitch getting the engine because the shipping container was bumped at the dock and all the crates inside broke open and mixed. Customs needed everything sorted out before they would clear it.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16003
ok...how much did you spend?
2001 D2 Ruffstuff LC 80 series front/rear/ARB/Detroit, Longs, 37" creepy's, 14" ADS 2.125 Coilovers, 1.6 lt230 w/Ashcroft Under Drive PSC hydro steering Hellfire Hi Steer Knuckles...a lot of revisions and a lot of weldin'
1983 110 RHD Pick-up
mongosd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 164742
I believe the total not including the original vehicle is in the 25K area, which includes the bumper and slider fabrication, the winch, the engine importation, upgraded turbo and cooler, axles, steering box, Rotoflex to Ujoint and a laundry list of other shit.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 42753
The one on top of the transport is yours right?
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 164742
Yeap. There were several abortive attempts to ship it back, so Keith sent me that pic to prove it was actually on a truck and leaving.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 42753
Looks good and clean. I'm guessing for that money it's essentially rebuilt from one end to the other.
Dougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 164742
Yeah that was the intent. Because of the delay with the engine in customs the SVO system didn't get done but otherwise it should be effectively a new truck. Gotta get a few details squared away after it gets here then drive the hell out of it for a couple of weeks to see if anything breaks before it sees any trails this summer. Gonna start slow with a few days on the northern Michigan woods.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 69597
Keith, Mow your yard..
Stop being a giant vagina. This is pirate..
www.rovertracks.com - gone fishin!!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-...r-rebuild.html - D-90 build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-...ggy-build.html- Disco truggy-rip
mightymg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 164742
and the "comedy" continues. The hauler Keith hired loaded three dead cars after mine and now can't get them off so my car is stuck on his truck until Monday when he can get someone with a forklift.

the word "Cursed" is starting to form in my head....
Old 06-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 88052
Sometime things that begin ’’too easy’’ end badly, and sometimes nothing seems to go right but all works out well in the end.Nice looking truck, I am just a bit shocked that someone would spend that much to build a Disco. I am definitely copying your wheel carrier with the jerries between the spare and the door.
BigBlueToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 164742
It got better.

Juan Carlos called while I was out grocery shopping, and tried to speak to my wife. His English was bad enough that shes not exactly sure what his point was, but apparently he now can't get here until after 6pm on Monday, but said that was because it would be "easier for your husband". She explained we have plans for Monday night, and his only reaction was to say he'd call back in an hour, which he hasn't. He's now not answering his phone.

I told the story a while back about why I'm spending the money on the Disco. One of the last things my father said to both me an my brother that was coherent, was shortly after he explained he was leaving us a shitload of money no one knew he had. He suggested to both me and my brother that he wanted us both to "take 100K$ and get ourselves a really nice car we always wanted" with a portion of the money he was leaving behind. This was such a bizarre and over the top request from someone who always had 4K used cars all his life, but he was very sincere and repeated it several times. My Brother took him pretty literally and bought himself a 75K Porsche, then spent 7K getting it tuned. Now hes looking at another 8K on other crap so that he can win all his yuppie stop light races in suburban Philly.

I was considering getting a new Jeep Rubicon or a new 4runner. There were a lot of things about both I didn't like, and I'd always wanted a Rover. Initially I wanted a Defender, but the Discovery was a compromise with the wife because Defenders are not exactly refined on long road trips and we will be spending lots of time in this as the years go by. So in the end, I looked for a 95 (pre ODBII) Disco with no rust (this one came from New Mexico originally), and I'm spending what I would have on the new 4Runner to make it into what I want: A diesel with simple reliable off road mechanics. In addition, I have gotten myself a new VW Golf TDi and a Ural Patrol sidecar motorcycle, and the total is STILL less than my brother spent on his Porsche. I think any one of them are a better use of the cash than the Porsche. I have no space or time at the moment to do any work, but the next house will have a HUGE ass garage and I will start doing the Rover work myself. I just decided I didn't want to wait years to start.

Last edited by antisoshal; 06-04-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 166924
Wow that's really cool, enjoy your disco bro
Lebanese Showoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 179350
If you could walk into a Land Rover dealer today, and buy an essentially 'new' uprated, solid axle 95 Discovery I with lockers, 300TDI, trail armour and winch bumper plus some other cool items all for $25,000.................

Yeah, I'd buy one too.........if I had the cash.

Old Disco's are now the bangers of the Landy world and often get very little love. While they are a little homely I think they are still immensely practical vehicles that are great off road in stock form and easy to modify.

Nice unit, I look forward to seeing some pictures of it in action.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 164742
Supposedly it will be here either at 10am, 11am or 6pm tomorrow. In the course of a 3 minute conversation that could barely be understood, All of those were mentioned, with no real certainty expressed for any of them. First he asked if instead of 11pm he could come at 10. I said Okay. Then he said that 11pm was probably better. I said Okay. Then he said maybe he would try to deliver another car first and be here at 6pm. I said he needed to pick one. The he told me 6pm would be better for me. I asked why he thought that, and he said he would call me in the morning.

If this wasn't driving me to punch things, it would be a bad episode of Seinfeld.

http://i.imgur.com/wdODX.jpg

Last edited by antisoshal; 06-05-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 175908
Hopefully you get it today.
Sounds like a reputable hauler needs to be found in the future.
My Father had his Corvette shipped to Arizona when he moved out there a few years ago. The hauler had an nice enclosed trailer and a few high dollar choppers were already in there. The driver went over the Vette for about 15 minutes noting every little imperfection so he wouldn't get blamed for it. It ran about $1200 but it arrived safe and sound, and on time. "Dead" cars were definitely not on this trailer.
fishEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 164742
Its HEEEEEEEER. Drives like a schoolbus for the Apocalypse. Already had to bolt cut the jump seats out because the guy before me apparently tried to remove them and stripped out the torques heads on some of the bolts. Waiting to hear from Keith if he reconnected the rear air (I doubt it) so I know if I can pull that out as well.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 164742
Gotta say, despite the various problems, Keith and company rocked this thing, and it beats all my expectations. Everything is perfect. No lights on the dash. Engine purrs at 60mh. Bumpers are awesome. Not the tiniest rattle or clank in the steering or suspension. It just rocks. Got rid of the beat up 32"s and put a set of 31"s on and it moves nice. 2500 rpm at 60mph. Pulled off and went over some concrete parking blocks and up a 45 degree concrete embankment and it was awesome.

Keith's reputation convinced me to give him a truck and a credit card without ever having met him, and it paid off. You can't buy this much awesome on a car lot.