noob question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Land Rover
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Texas by GOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 69765
Location: Fort Worthless, TX
Posts: 1,987
noob question

Are all LR zf 4hp22, 22E, 24E ratios the same regardless of what motor they are behind? (IE v8, td5, 300tdi...)

edit, the non elec versions have different valve body tunes, and the elec td5 vs v8 has a different TCM which shifts differently, right?
__________________
~ Kyle
1999 Land Rover Discovery II - Lift, Tires, Axles, Stuff. /forum/land-rover/924588-my-d2-axle-swap-thread.html

Last edited by Kyle_T; 07-26-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Member # 190223
Posts: 226
I think all the ZF 4 HP-22 and ZF4 HP-24's in Land Rovers (Range Rover, Defender, and Discovery), regardless of the engine, have the same ratios. The ratios in other makes (Peugeot, Pinzgauer, Volvo, Jaguar, Maserati etc.) may differ but I was not able to find one that did. The BMW's for example are the same as Land Rover versions.

Land Rover accomodated differences in engines (MFI, 300TDI, V8 etc.) using different high range ratios in the LT230 transfercase. The LT230 low-range from Land Rover is always the same.

Last edited by Nevada Ben; 07-26-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Nevada Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Member # 190223
Posts: 226
This document indicates Volvo had different ratios: http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/...o/85740_08.htm

This thread also indicates the Pinzgauer used those ratios:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...7846LyslTsAw==
Nevada Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13683
Location: Unknown
Posts: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Ben View Post

Land Rover accomodated differences in engines (MFI, 300TDI, V8 etc.) using different high range ratios in the LT230 transfercase. The LT230 low-range from Land Rover is always the same.

LR used different valve bodies for all engine options.
__________________
K.C.
Puffdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Texas by GOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 69765
Location: Fort Worthless, TX
Posts: 1,987
i dont care about volvos or bmw's...

and i need an absolute, not an I think....

thanks KC. so the TD5 vs v8 is a different valve body? (22E/24E)
__________________
~ Kyle
1999 Land Rover Discovery II - Lift, Tires, Axles, Stuff. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924588

Last edited by Kyle_T; 07-26-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13683
Location: Unknown
Posts: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_T View Post
i dont care about volvos or bmw's...

and i need an absolute, not an I think....

thanks KC. so the TD5 vs v8 is a different valve body? (22E/24E)
Yes, the valve body changes the shift point's. Otherwise the diesel would over rev as well as it would have poor acceleration and fuel consumption. It has been said that the valve bodies will work on either engine just fine, but I cannot confirm or deny this.

The volvo zf comes in many breeds with several different gear options. As do many other zf's found in non rover applications. But, non of them generally have the lower 1st gear of the rover box.
__________________
K.C.
Puffdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Texas by GOD
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 69765
Location: Fort Worthless, TX
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdragon View Post
Yes, the valve body changes the shift point's. Otherwise the diesel would over rev as well as it would have poor acceleration and fuel consumption. It has been said that the valve bodies will work on either engine just fine, but I cannot confirm or deny this.
ok, ill have to dig around some more. i was under the impression that the TC and the TCM were the only differences... but we dont have td5's here so....
__________________
~ Kyle
1999 Land Rover Discovery II - Lift, Tires, Axles, Stuff. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924588
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13683
Location: Unknown
Posts: 3,285
Sorry, gotta back up a bit. I wasn't really paying attention. Now the electronic controlled 4H tranny might be a bit different. I would assume that the comp will control the shift points so that would make me think that the trannies are basically the same.

So I think you are right in this case.

My mind gets stuck on the manual valve bodied 4H and I the electronic version never really comes to mind.

I personally prefer the manuals.
__________________
K.C.

Last edited by Puffdragon; 07-26-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Puffdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member # 12499
Location: In a Snap-On truck tryin' to make it pay
Posts: 10,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdragon View Post
Sorry, gotta back up a bit. I wasn't really paying attention. Now the electronic controlled 4H tranny might be a bit different. I would assume that the comp will control the shift points so that would make me think that the trannies are basically the same.

So I think you are right in this case.

My mind gets stuck on the manual valve bodied 4H and I the electronic version never really comes to mind.

I personally prefer the manuals.
Damn you KC, I thought I had a chance to correct you
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13683
Location: Unknown
Posts: 3,285
Sorry PT. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I usually figure it out within a minute or two, then it's time to correct myself. At least I'm not one of those pussies that goes back and corrects the first post like I never screwed up in the first place.

Maybe you can get me next time PT.
__________________
K.C.
Puffdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.