State Proposition? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
State Proposition?

So...I'm taking a shower this morning....still pissed off at those two morons that voted for something, after listening to PARADE of people that know more about this Grant Fund than they do...but yet still did what they wanted anyway.

So...my thought is....What about the approach of a State Proposition? I have no idea what the process is, but it would seem to me if we had one called: RESTORE OHV TRUST FUND. The law would simply say, they had to follow the original OHV Fund law. Zero cost to tax payers (they like that). We use a grassroots campaign on every OHV website.....You tell two friends, and so on and so on. There are 1.1 million (approx) green stickers, plus millions of wheelers in non-green sticker rigs that benefit from the Grant program in particular. Each of them, has friends that would listen to their plea.

My thought is do not ask for the loans to be repaid, don't ask for any money already taken. Why? This would be volatile portion of it...a lightning rod as you will of the opposition. No, all this bill would do, would say as of signing, all monies slated to be taken (ie: this 3 year BS) and all future stealing would cease.

I'm going to ask Kurt to delete ANY off topic BS threads about my OHV DICK is bigger than your OHV Dick. Got it?
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present
Click Here for a calendar of Rubicon Events
Raceline Wheels and Falken Tires!! Thanks guys for sponsoring the Tacos at this Years Event!!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Phobohomic

Member # 55687
$200 and

Initiative Statute: Petitions proposing initiative statutes must be signed by registered voters. The number of signatures must be equal to at least 5% of the total votes cast for Governor at the last gubernatorial election. (Cal. Const., art. II, § 8(b); Elections Code § 9035.) The total number of signatures required for initiative statutes is 504,760.

Initiative Constitutional Amendment: Petitions proposing initiative constitutional amendments must be signed by registered voters. The number of signatures must be equal to at least 8% of the total votes cast for Governor at the last gubernatorial election. (Cal. Const., art. II, § 8(b); Elections Code § 9035.) The total number of signatures required for such petitions is 807,615.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ball...tive-guide.pdf

R.I.P. Dennis Mayer. W2DWM. Rubicon Rock Head & Pirate of the Rubicon.

Last edited by fermentor; 05-24-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added link
fermentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 97797
Always good to bring up new ideas. Yes, it would be a good possibility to get it on a ballot for the vote of the people.
BUT:

Voters of California, where would you prefer that fuel tax money be directed?

A. To keep state parks open.
B. To fund the recreational needs of wild off-road vehicle piloting thrill seekers.

Ride on
Brewster
Brewster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Phobohomic

Member # 55687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster2 View Post
Always good to bring up new ideas. Yes, it would be a good possibility to get it on a ballot for the vote of the people.
BUT:

Voters of California, where would you prefer that fuel tax money be directed?

A. To keep state parks open.
B. To fund the recreational needs of wild off-road vehicle piloting thrill seekers.

Ride on
Brewster
Bogeyman balloting..................

R.I.P. Dennis Mayer. W2DWM. Rubicon Rock Head & Pirate of the Rubicon.
fermentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
I think we have enough power in numbers of users and friends, if we can get the message out there.
Raceline Wheels and Falken Tires!! Thanks guys for sponsoring the Tacos at this Years Event!!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 128380
Great idea.

I'm thinking though that we need to align our issue with other somewhat like minded groups and work together.

I have to think that the necessary signatures to even get this to the ballot wil be nearly 1 million.

Thus, we would need some significant help to get us to that number.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1722
I will work to get signatures.

I think we can get the signatures. The most expensive part will be fighting media adds.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Given our budget shortfall and the Governors “realignment” plans, the following may be informative.

Counties were not happy with early realignments, particularly of gas taxes as they relate to transportation funding.
http://www.counties.org/images/users...spondTrans.pdf

There are plenty of other unhappy campers relying on funding from fuel revenues.

Fuel Tax Swap (March 2010): Eliminates sales tax on gasoline and imposes an additional 17.3 cents excise tax on gasoline. Increases sales tax on diesel fuel by 1.75 percent and decreases excise tax on diesel fuel to 13.6 cents. The rate is to be adjusted annually to maintain revenue neutrality with the increase to sales tax on diesel. This measure also increases the share of Public Transportation Account (PTA) funding to the State Transit Assistance Program (STA) to 75 percent of revenues.

Proposition 22 (November 2010): Restricts the use of fuel excise tax revenue for transportation purposes only; prohibits borrowing from fuel excise tax revenues; requires gasoline sales tax revenues (if reinstated in the future) to be used for transportation purposes only; reduces STA share of funding to 50 percent of revenues.

Source: http://www.dot.ca.gov/docs/2011-12Tr...kgComplete.pdf

The 2012-2013 budget . . . http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/pdf/Budget...getSummary.pdf

The appendix is notable in that it contains a Comparative Statement of Expenditures between the budget years of 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. Appendix 13, 16, 44, 52 & 54 refer to Off-Highway Vehicle revenues.
LYIN' KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 14433
Send a message via Yahoo to angiebaby
I like this idea. Just make sure the following words are kept out of the proposed law "except in cases of extreme fiscal emergency".

If the grass looks greener on the other side, water your damn grass!
angiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 214920
It would be a huge undertaking, a very tough task - but, the proposition way would give us much more protection if we could get that passed. I would suggest coordination and partnership with other "Special Fund" type programs/organizations (e.g., Boats and Waterways, Fish and Game) to give us much more strength. Language could be "the people of California pay into special funds to coordinate various activities....the State cannot divert funds ear marked for such special funds...." lol, obviously, I am not a legislation writer...but, you get my drift...
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 3975
I believe “Parks” recently absorbed Boats and Waterways if that matters.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 214920
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYIN' KING View Post
I believe “Parks” recently absorbed Boats and Waterways if that matters.
That is still a proposal of the Governor. It hasn't happen yet. Pete Wilson also proposed that in the early 90's and he got alot of push back and it didn't happen. I believe Boats and Waterways has a special fund that their community pays into - from what I understand, they are pretty influencial and carry alot of clout.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
That is still a proposal of the Governor. It hasn't happen yet. Pete Wilson also proposed that in the early 90's and he got alot of push back and it didn't happen. I believe Boats and Waterways has a special fund that their community pays into - from what I understand, they are pretty influencial and carry alot of clout.
Ah, that must be where I read it.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Obviously, I know my limitations of time between family, real work, RTF and knowledge....but I really think this could go somewhere, if some organization drove the bus. There are countless events, motocross, racing, Ultra4, WeRock, etc...to get the signatures.

I concur, there are many other groups affected...like fishermen, hunters, etc that are affected by the OHV grants....as this has nothing to do with the SVRA's...and 100% to do with the roads we all use for various purposes in the backcountry.

I think it's our only real chance to prevent this in the future...I think the precedence has been set.....so this will happen OVER and OVER...until this fund is completely bastardized, beaten and non-functioning...oh wait, it already is...

Last edited by atvobsession; 05-24-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Unfortunately, even propositions aren’t immune from temporary or permanent suspension as history illustrates.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 187383
Think we need to figure out how to have an effect on elections first, just go with existing Law for now go check out the OHVDC web sight I do believe they are ON TOPIC

http://www.ohvdc.org/
Old 05-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46467
Maybe we need to get the $18 vehicle tax back on the ballot for state parks.

The prop fail 57 to 42
Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 187383
Quote:
Originally Posted by R290 View Post
Maybe we need to get the $18 vehicle tax back on the ballot for state parks.

The prop fail 57 to 42
Think it's all ready been tried.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 172378
Not a half bad idea.

While I am not 100% familiar with the CA OHV program, I do know ours is similar. In ours there is money alloted for other institutions such as Fish and Game.

So when you go out to get signatures, make sure you spell out that it is not only us who suffers. We did this here and we now have a chapter of an Elk hunter's organization standing with us and we are talking to an equestrian org. right now on how something like this will effect them.

It is not so much getting a new prop passed, it is when you can actually threaten a politicians career is when you will get results. And when people realize the decisions made effect them, they tend to get a little upset.
Mad Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 104582
I still believe our next step should be a law suit aginst the state. At least a study on its fesability like the ohvdc is proposing.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 214920
Quote:
Originally Posted by duneburner View Post
I still believe our next step should be a law suit aginst the state. At least a study on its fesability like the ohvdc is proposing.
I agree - the best path for us to proceed is through a lawsuit, while still pursuing the proposition idea.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 3975
The study is fully funded; let’s get on with it, hear the results and get cost projections of seeing a lawsuit through to the end.