Calls/Emails needed today for Assembly Budget Hearing Tomorrow!!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Exclamation Calls/Emails needed today for Assembly Budget Hearing Tomorrow!!!

BRC CA ACTION ALERT - Calls/Emails needed today for Assembly Budget Hearing Tomorrow!!!

Call Assembly members right now to oppose 50% reduction in OHV Grants Program

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber:

BRC wants to join CAL4WD, OHMVR Commissioner, Eric Leuder, and other OHV groups in alerting motorized recreationists about a proposal made by Senator Joe Simitian, which slashes OHV grant funding by 50%, is being considered by the State Assembly this Thursday, May 31st. If this proposal is adopted, more than half of the funding for the US Forest Service, BLM, and many County Parks will be redirected away from the state’s OHV Program.

This is NOT A LOAN, BUT A TAKING of money which will never be repaid.

You must act IMMEDIATELY in order to make a difference. Call your local state representatives, members of the Assembly Budget Committee, the Governor’s office now.

Call your local news outlets to let them know that this misuse of OHV funding is not acceptable and not appropriate. Unchallenged, this taking will lead to massive closures of USFS, BLM, and County OHV Park lands, public lands.

The funding being taken is taxes paid on gasoline used by OHV recreationists and should be used to maintain OHV recreation opportunities. The OHV community has always paid its own fair share. The OHV program has never depended on General Tax Funds or Park Bond Acts. How is it right to redirect funds collected for OHV recreation and use them for ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN SUPPORT OF OHV RECREATION!?

1. Let them know that YOU VOTE and this misuse of OHV funding is not acceptable and not appropriate. Any threat to OHV funds will affect YOUR vote next Tuesday.

2. Ask them why does it take a total of $41M to fix a $22M shortfall in the State Parks budget? The math doesn't work and our $21M in OHV funding is not needed to keep State Parks open. Other funds are available.

3. Tell them that the OHV program is paid for by OHV recreationalists and we have never used or asked for any general fund money.

4. Tell them that the closure of OHV areas will impact the local economy in their district, cause a loss of jobs, cause an increase in unmanaged use of public lands and reduce recreational opportunities for their constituents.

5. Urge them to vote NO on the taking of OHV funds tomorrow.

Finally, the proposal made by Senator Simitian is supposedly only to be in effect for three years. Really! Check the state’s record on repaying loans from the OHV program…it just never happens. The OHMVR Commission’s 2011 report (available for viewing at ohv.parks.ca.gov) on page 9 shows over $160,000,000 borrowed from the OHV Trust Fund. None has ever been paid back!

Stand up now. Let your voice be heard. The OHV Grants Program is vital to continued availability of OHV opportunities in California.

Again, BRC urges you to not only contact the committee members below but to contact your own state legislators and the Governor.

Link to Sub 3 Resources and Transportation Committee Members
http://asmdc.org/members/a21/committees?layout=item

Assemblymember.gordon@assembly.ca.gov
Assemblymember.Butler@assembly.ca.gov
Assemblymember.huffman@assembly.ca.gov
Assemblymember.jones@assembly.ca.gov
Assemblymember.valadao@assembly.ca.gov

Cal4WD Link to you own state representatives and Governor’s Office (just type in your zip code)
http://capwiz.com/cal4wheel/callaler...ertid=61398736

Thanks for taking time from your busy schedule to fight back against this proposed gutting of the CA OHV Program. I hope to see many of you at the hearing tomorrow.

Don Amador
Western Representative
BlueRibbon Coalition, Inc.
LYIN' KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 88869
Thanks for the info. Emailed them all and my Rep. I will keep making phone calls also.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Thursday 05/31/2012

Budget Subcommittee No. 3 On Resources And Transportation

GORDON, Chair

8:30 a.m. - State Capitol, Room 437
Listen . . . http://assembly.ca.gov/dailyfile#
Old 05-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3975
They Approved It

Jones was the only member against the "taking".
Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 95197
Well, all the efforts expended over the last few days achieved little today. The Assembly Subcommittee voted in favor of taking the OHV Trust Fund money, even the two Democrats on the committee we thought were vulnerable went along with the proposal without saying anything. Seeing government in action is at times frustrating, and confusing. Everyone today spoke very well on behalf of the OHV community, with a combination of passion and facts, but it seemed like the decision had been made ahead of time.

But these actions make the need for a lawsuit more critical, and necessary. That's the only halfway justification that could be derived from any of this disappointment .

People are putting together next steps, which will probably target the Governor. We've done it before when Daphne's appointment was terminated, and we can work together again.

But more than that, we need anyone with a connection to a Board of Supervisors, a motorcycle dealership, 4x4 shop, anything that benefits from the grants program, put together those economic numbers.

It's obvious that we don't have the political pushback to stop these takings. For right now, we only have the power of the people. And that power can be immense, we just have to wield it. That takes everyone doing smart things that can make a difference.

BTW, Brian Jones spoke very well, and eloquently about saving the OHV Trust Fund. If you are in his district, or know someone in his district, please say thanks for all of us.

Crediting Bruce Whitcher, he said a long time ago these battles for OHV were going to be won by the power of the people. He's right, we have great people all over the state.

Amy
Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyJeepThing View Post
But these actions make the need for a lawsuit more critical, and necessary.
Quote:
Baker Manock & Jensen has been retained to immediately commence a thorough investigation to determine whether, in its opinion, this taking is illegal and what remedies are available to us. This investigation may result in a suit against the State of California.
Any idea when we might hear opinions resulting from the aforementioned investigation?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 95197
Part of the research involved a Public Records Act request from the State of California, and I just found out this morning that the state asked for an additional 2 weeks to respond. But that is in regards to certain information, there were other requests already fulfilled.
But we will have more definitive memo from the attorneys within 2 weeks.

Thanks for asking, Bob. I appreciate the ability to get the information out there to everyone.

Amy
Old 05-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Thanks for the update; it was damn frustrating to watch all the great pro-OHV testimony given only to have them follow through with their pre-determined course of action though it was entirely predictable.

Jones is commendable for his very logical analysis of the reasons behind his staunch dissention.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 186727
Amy,
Thank you for all your hard work! The memo you put out thru Corva listing the Assembly Members and their phone #s was very helpful along with the topic points to cover.
I called everyone on the list and more this morning as well as the emails and phone calls yesterday.

Offering an alternative was a great strategy and was appreciated. I could almost hear a sigh of relief on the other end of the phone when I asked them to support AB 1589.

Keep up the great work,
Nora
Runzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 97797
For all of you that couldn't watch and listen to the sub committee meeting this morning, here's the archive:

http://calchannel.granicus.com/Media...=7&clip_id=470

General talk about park funding starts around minute 35 and the OHV Trust Fund take at minute 42.

Ride on
Brewster

Last edited by Brewster2; 05-31-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Brewster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
The guy at 45 min mark...is fantastic.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present
Click Here for a calendar of Rubicon Events
Raceline Wheels and Falken Tires!! Thanks guys for sponsoring the Tacos at this Years Event!!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 3975
BRC NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PHONE: 925.625.6287
EMAIL: brdon@ sharetrails.org

CA LEGISLATURE VOTES TO GUT OHV GRANTS PROGRAM TO FEDERAL AND LOCAL PARTNERS

SACRAMENTO (May 31, 2012) - Earlier today, the Assembly Budget Subcommittee No. 3 on Resources and Transportation voted to steal up to $31 million dollars from the California Off-Highway Vehicle Trust Fund and transfer it to non-OHV related programs. This pilfering of user-pay funding is part of the “Sustainable Parks Proposal” being championed by the California Parks Foundation, other anti-OHV organizations, and California State Senator Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto).

Assemblyman Jared Huffman (D- Petaluma) argued strongly in favor of the plan which he knows will directly impact destination OHV areas throughout the state including nearby units on the Mendocino and Six Rivers National Forests, the BLM Cow Mountain Recreation near Ukiah, and the BLM Samoa Dunes Recreation Area near Eureka. Assemblyman Brian Jones (R-Santee) was the lone voice on the committee that opposed the continued theft of trust funds monies.

Don Amador, Western Representative for the BlueRibbon Coalition, states, “I am extremely disappointed that Mr. Huffman has apparently joined ranks with the anti-OHV community in their ongoing efforts to defund the OHV grants program via fiscal schemes such as the Sustainable Parks plan.”

“After witnessing today’s vote, it is clear to me that urban legislators have made the conscious decision to engage in political warfare against rural interests, economies, and local elected officials. It also daylights the false promises made to special “user fee” programs (e.g. OHV, boating and waterways, special license plates, etc.) that their dedicated funds are protected. Rather, it points to the fact that those funds will be raided in perpetuity to help mitigate the legislature’s failure to substantively address the state’s fiscal crisis,” Amador continues.

“It is also interesting to note that not one of the Sustainable Parks Program’s proponents had the courage to show up and speak in favor of the plan at today’s hearing. Equally disappointing was that State Park leadership sat in stone cold silence while this issue was being discussed. It is a sad commentary on the state of affairs in California,” Amador concludes.

Representatives from the following organizations attended and spoke at the hearing. Those groups include the California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, American Motorcyclist Association, American Motorcyclist Association District 36, California Off-Road Vehicle Association, and the BlueRibbon Coalition.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
I wonder if they could add language to the bill that says they have to fully fund Grant projects before they take any money?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3975
It seems as though "they" don't want to play. Looks like it's their way . . . the highway to non-OHV land??? Existing SVRAs perhaps being an exception?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 3975
The timing of all this is suspect to me. The orchestrated destruction of a four-decade plus user funded success.

Perhaps it is a view through eyes that see all my old stomping grounds closed having become the target of frivolous litigation and in need of funding administered in a planned, organized, orchestrated and premeditated manner.

The ultimate goal being the facilitation of remediation efforts correcting issues targeted (however minor) hopefully enabling the chance of opening the trails once again.

Our fund gutted, left with no trails thanks to no funding for remediation efforts to resolve the issues that closed them, there would be no need for the current OHMVR or OHV Trust Fund structures.

A circle jerk extraordinaire??

Just the ramblings of ONE MAD MAN!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Senate AB 1589 passed yesterday - Huffman Sponsored, mentioned in his initial comments at Min 36

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/...ntroduced.html

Senate Transferred a large sum from the Motor Vehicle account.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 186727
Just plain sucks- those Rat Bastards!

IT IS TIME FOR A BIG CHANGE.
Vote them ALL out!
Runzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Reducing Operations Cost by Reducing Operating Hours:

I bet they could save a lot of money by only being open on Weekends from Labor Day to Memorial Day, and then being open Thursday - Monday for the Summer.

They could keep Rangers on the Job by having them work an additional 3 days a week on Public Lands or at SVRA's - since we have the Money, they can come work for us.

Right? Since we are the "Have's" and they are the "Have Not's" wouldn't it be mighty white of us to be charitable? LOL

Last edited by Bebe; 05-31-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 3975
As I recall the "olive branch" was offered as a concession and ignored.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
After getting LyinKing's message in Gen Chit Chat, I contacted my Assemblyman via e-mail and phone. It was very much last-minute but I had my fingers crossed that he'd do the right thing. We've seen above, He was the only one to vote in our favor and here is a message I just received from his office:

Assemblymember Jones Assemblymember.Jones@asm.ca.gov
3:52 PM (1 hour ago)
to me

We would like you to be aware of the following article regarding the hearing on 5/31/12 in Assembly Budget Subcommittee #3 in relation to the OHV funds. Please take note of the end of the second paragraph. Visit our website at assembly.ca.gov/jones to read the entire article.

Please be assured that Assemblyman Jones will continue to speak out against the raiding of the OHV funds and will stand up to protect the rights of the off-road community and the benefits that they contribute to the people of California.

Sincerely,
Gail Ramer – Senior Field Representative

Thursday, May 31, 2012

CALIFORNIA LEGISLATURE VOTES TO GUT OHV GRANTS PROGRAM TO FEDERAL AND LOCAL PARTNERS

SACRAMENTO (May 31, 2012) - Earlier today, the Assembly Budget Subcommittee No. 3 on Resources and Transportation voted to steal up to $31 million dollars from the California Off-Highway Vehicle Trust Fund and transfer it to non-OHV related programs. This pilfering of user-pay funding is part of the “Sustainable Parks Proposal” being championed by the California Parks Foundation, other anti-OHV organizations, and California State Senator Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto).

Assemblyman Jared Huffman (D- Petaluma) argued strongly in favor of the plan which he knows will directly impact destination OHV areas throughout the state including nearby units on the Mendocino and Six Rivers National Forests, the BLM Cow Mountain Recreation near Ukiah, and the BLM Samoa Dunes Recreation Area near Eureka. Assemblyman Brian Jones (R-Santee) was the lone voice on the committee that opposed the continued theft of trust funds monies.

I replied with a note of thanks and asked him to keep up the fight as our community derives a pretty large amount of tax dollars and employment from OHV parts manufacturing and services.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Nice!!!

Thank you for sharing and your involvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!