Clear Creek National Recreation Bill Introduced Today - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Clear Creek National Recreation Bill Introduced Today

Bill to Reopen Clear Creek to OHV Use is Introduced in House Today!!!

Dear Public Land Access Interest,

Today will go down as a major landmark in effective land use advocacy as the House introduces legislation to reopen a closed area to OHV recreation. Some of you may remember the BLM closed the 70k acre Clear Creek Management Area to all user groups in May 2008.

The BlueRibbon Coalition News Release on Friday will highlight some of the issues surrounding that closure and the new legislation. Again, the formal BRC news release will not be available until Friday. However, QWR has the non-numbered Clear Creek National Recreation Bill avail. for your review. QWR understands that Cong. Sam Farr introduced this bill at about 5:30pm EDT today in the House.

Cong. Sam Farr's unnumbered bill - The Clear Creek National Recreation Area Bill
http://library.constantcontact.com/d...ill+8.2.12.pdf

The long journey that started the process to have Congress intercede on our behalf began with my congressional testimony in June 2011 where I asked Congress to correct the closure by designating the Creek as a National Recreation Area. (see video below)

Testimony Amador at June 22, 2011 Congressional Hearing on Clear Creek
Testimony Amador at June 22 Congressional Hearing on Recreation - YouTube

The next step in the process was to ask the San Benito County Board of Supervisors (they too want the area reopened) to pass a resolution asking Congress to designate the unit as a National Recreation Area. Riders and other outdoor recreationists followed the county lead and also sent in letters asking Congressman Farr to designate the Creek as a National Recreation Area - Good on them!

October 4, 2011 San Benito County Petition to Congress
http://library.constantcontact.com/d...on+10.4.11.pdf

There will be a lot of work ahead to help push this through the House and Senate, but I am optimistic that we can do it. Again, thanks to all the dedicated and tireless efforts by hundreds of OHV recreationists, OHMVR Commissioners/Staff who wrote letters, attended meetings, empowered new science research, and made donations. This is a result of that team approach.

If you would like to learn about sponsorship opportunities at QWR to help defray travel expenses and other operating expenses which allows us to work 24/7/365 for our clients and you on all aspects of effective OHV advocacy, please check out the link below:

Sponsorship Opportunities at QWR
http://www.quietwarriorracing.com/Sponsorships.html

If you see a sponsor at QWR, please send them a thank you. If they are a business - go buy something from them. If they are a club - join them. I can honestly tell you that without their support... this bill would not have happened - PERIOD!

Also, consider a donation to BRC!

JOIN AND SUPPORT BRC HERE
https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute

Thanks in advance for your support!

Don Amador, President
Quiet Warrior Racing/Consulting
555 Honey Lane
Oakley, CA 94561
Office: 925.625.5309
Email: damador@quietwarriorracing.com
LYIN' KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 96634
Hey Pirates,

what do you think about this game changer?

Don
cuttenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 166763
Very cool, it'd be great to see that area reopen!
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
I sure hope I'll get to explore those trails soon!
RockMolester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 172378
Don,

Not bad for a beat up old white guy. Some day you and me are going to talk and get absolutely plastered over beer.

Remember my post on the hammer blows? Dracula's heart is MINE!!!!
Mad Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 172378
Don,

And this is just the beginning. How far do you and everybody else want to take this?

You have my phone number.

Lets put it this way.

THe demon has been awakened.

Disturbed - Down With The Sickness [Music Video] - YouTube

Last edited by Mad Machinist; 08-03-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Mad Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 96634
Mad M,

Stay tuned as there will be some action items coming soon regarding letters, etc. support for it to get a hearing and vote in the House and then move to the Senate. We will be very busy over the next few months.

Thanks!

D
Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 29325
This is good news. I miss clear creek.
Grand2whL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3975
BRC Applauds Legislation Designating Clear Creek National Recreation Area

BRC News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Phone: 925.625.6287
Email: brdon@sharetrails.org
Date: August 3, 2012

BRC APPLAUDS LEGISLATION DESIGNATING CLEAR CREEK NATIONAL RECREATION AREA

HOLLISTER, CA (August 3, 2012) -- The BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC), a national trail-based recreation group, applauds legislation today introduced by Congressman Sam Farr that would designate a popular OHV site in central California as a National Recreation Area. This bill could help resolve the ongoing conflict between access interests and the BLM regarding the future of motorized and human powered recreation at the BLM's Clear Creek Management Area.

In 2008, the BLM issued a blanket closure of 70,000 acres to all users, even hikers, citing concerns about a public health risk due to naturally occurring asbestos. There has never been a documented case of injury despite decades of inhalation of the soils in question by humans in every conceivable activity. The BLM has been considering a highly restrictive management plan based on the alleged health concerns. California State Parks Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission, San Benito County, IERF scientists, OHV groups and at least one conservation group have questioned the science and BLM's analysis.

In October of that year, the San Benito County Board of Supervisors petitioned Congress to consider designating the unit as a National Recreation Area and reinstating responsible motorized and non-motorized use there.

Don Amador, Western Representative for the BRC, states, "Congressman Farr should be commended for this proactive legislation that emphasizes education and informed choice over heavy-handed closure regarding the purely theoretical public health risk that might occur through excessive use of the area."

The bill would allow recreational access to resume under the 2005 travel plan generated through formal agency study and public input. The bill would also designate an adjacent portion of qualifying land with full protection as Wilderness.

"This legislation could go a long way in helping restore good relations between the BLM, the County and recreationists. This is a carefully crafted win-win and we hope it gains the support of affected interests and politicians on all sides of the aisle," Amador concludes.

See the San Benito County Resolution in support of a Congressional designation. http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/S...on-10.4.11.pdf

Also, see this link for the unnumbered version of HR6286.
http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/m...ill_8-2-12.pdf
Old 08-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 22726
Clear Creek is very important to OHV users in the bay area. Since the closure, Hollister hills has become extremely busy, resulting in over crowding.

Plus why did they do all the improvements to Clear Creek and then close it a year later. We are talking about $3,000,000 worth of improvements. Which I don't see it could be that much but regardless it should be used. I think there is more to the story of why it was closed than the abspetos that they claimed was harmful. Especially Since the air in San Jose contains three times the amount of Hook abspestos than Clear Creek does. Hmmm, San Jose should be shut down!

I know that the freeway, 87, that they cut through radio hill had to be abated because radio hill was part abspestos. They worked on the sides of the cutout for a year to make it right.

I wish the government would stop trying to save us from our selves.

If they think that they are saving money by not needing anyone there, I think a fee at the gate would take care of that.

I would love to see this wrong made right!

Last edited by mannysouza; 08-04-2012 at 10:27 AM.
mannysouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 148059
Right on.
Stonebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 167807
this half ass bill introduction was a attempt to get votes for creating a effort appearing as re opening the park. And as a second note I see a lot of claim being spread around as if the BRC made this happen with Farr. When is the last time BRC actually met with Farr in person or helped write this bill?????

NOT
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 55622
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrnng View Post
this half ass bill introduction was a attempt to get votes for creating a effort appearing as re opening the park. And as a second note I see a lot of claim being spread around as if the BRC made this happen with Farr. When is the last time BRC actually met with Farr in person or helped write this bill?????

NOT
I can't speak for Don, but I do know he has personally been all over trying to reopen Clear Creek area.
When he spoke in front of congress about the CCMA, he advocated it being reopened.
I advocate it being reopened, as the asbestos out there has not been proven to cause harm to humans.
The EPA has no idea of the different kinds of asbestos.
The BLM wanted this area closed, and used the EPA has a partial scapegoat to close it. The routes choosen to travel for their tests were some of the ones with the most asbestos present, and all of the routes traveled over the same main road that has high levels of asbestos for a unreasonable distance. When you have overlapping areas like this for statistical analysis, you need to increase your sample area to ensure that you have a large enough sample base to make a good statistical analysis.

Todd

Access Army Air Warrior
Sponsored by:
[URL="http://www.raceline.com"]Raceline Wheels[/URL],
[URL="http://www.currieenterprises.com/"]http://www.currieenterprises.com/[/URL]
BFG, ARB, Advance Adapters, Hi Lift Jack, Rocky Trail Outfitters, Camel4x4.
navy-jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3975
HQ Salutes Cong. Sam Farr's Bill to Reopen Clear Creek

Friday, August 3, 2012

HQ Salutes Cong. Sam Farr's Bill to Reopen Clear Creek

The Recreation HQ is extremely pleased to be talking about Congressman Sam Farr’s introduction of the Clear Creek National Recreation Area and Conservation Act of 2012 – H.R. 6286.

Link to June 2011 video testimony asking Congress to consider a NRA desigation for Clear Creek . . . Testimony Amador at June 22 Congressional Hearing on Recreation - YouTube

This has been a long and bitter battle for the last 4 years and 3 months. It is my hope that this bill will reopen Clear Creek to responsible OHV recreation and also help reestablish normal and productive relations between the BLM and the user community (e.g. riders, local businesses, county supervisors).

I also want to personal thank those of you in the OHV community who have been supportive of my efforts to address the closure via the legislative process instead of the courts.

Please take time during August to stop by Congressman Farr’s office and thank him for his leadership via H.R. 6286. You can also send him a note as well.

Cong. Farr’s Contact Info:

Salinas Office • 100 W. Alisal Street • Salinas, CA 93901 • Phone: (831) 424-2229 • Toll Free: 800-340-FARR • Fax: (831) 424-7099 •

Santa Cruz Office • 701 Ocean Street, Room 318C • Santa Cruz, CA 95060 • Phone: (831) 429-1976 • Fax: (831) 429-1458 •

We have more work to do in pushing this through the House and Senate and then to the President. Knowing many of the Creek fans like I do, I have no doubts that we can accomplish that task.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 97797
Quote:
Originally Posted by navy-jeepster View Post
The BLM wanted this area closed, and used the EPA has a partial scapegoat to close it.
Todd
And who will generate the use plan for CC under the National Recreation Area scenario? Could it be the same folks that are sitting on the FEIS for CC? What input and appeals will the public have under the NRA banner?

Be careful about what you ask for.

Ride on
Brewster

Last edited by Brewster2; 08-05-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Brewster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 55622
NRA's have usually fallen under the federal agency that had control of the area prior to it's designation as an NRA.
So, saying that, I would suspect that it would fall under the BLM to manage.
National Park System has the largest block of NRA's, and I think I would almost prefer that NPS gain Clear Creek.

BLM had a use plan that was discussed at one of the meetings in Holister prior to the closure order.

I am sure we will get a lot of individuals that would comment on the uses of Clear Creek if we could get it reopened.
There was a large group that hunted and rock hounded in the area.
Salina's Ramblers also used it for motorcycles and races in the area. So, that is a huge economic impact on the area's around the CCMA.

Todd

Access Army Air Warrior
Sponsored by:
[URL="http://www.raceline.com"]Raceline Wheels[/URL],
[URL="http://www.currieenterprises.com/"]http://www.currieenterprises.com/[/URL]
BFG, ARB, Advance Adapters, Hi Lift Jack, Rocky Trail Outfitters, Camel4x4.
navy-jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Please fax support letters to congressman farr

PLEASE FAX SUPPORT LETTERS TO CONGRESSSMAN FARR AND ASK YOUR CONGRESSIONAL REPRESENTATIVE TO SUPPORT THE CLEAR CREEK NATIONAL RECREATION AREA

THIS IS A NATIONAL ALERT

Your support letters from individuals and groups are needed today to show support for H.R. 6286 - a major landmark piece of legislation.

As you know, Congressman Sam Farr introduced H.R. 6286 the Clear Creek National Recreation Area bill into the House last week. This is a historic opportunity to reopen one of the Country's top-ten destination OHV areas to public use. As you know, the BLM closed this area to all user groups in 2008 and it has remained closed to date.

Trying to reopen Clear Creek has been a long journey that was bolstered last year when I/BRC testified in June 2011 before Chairman Rob Bishop's Subcommittee on National Parks, National Forests, and Public Lands. At the conclusion of that testimony, I asked Congress to consider designating the unit as a national recreation area using the 2005 travel plan that had 243 miles of routes in it.

On Oct. 4, 2011, the San Benito County Board of Supervisors voted to petition Congressman Sam Farr to introduce legislation to designate Clear Creek as a NRA.

Congressman Farr listened to those requests and introduced H.R. 6286 last week. I believe it is a win-win bill that can be supported by conservationists, equestrians, hunters, environmental groups, and the OHV community.

Contact info for Congressman Farr, please be sure and thank him for his hard work to get this bill introduced.

Congressman Sam Farr
100W Alisal Street
Salinas, CA 93901
FAX: 831-424-7099 or FAX: 831-429-1458

MORE HERE WITH LINKS: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....3ZbzeaVd0JM%3D
Old 08-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 22726
Can I fax this out today?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysouza View Post
Can I fax this out today?
In reading through the call to action again several times, I can't see any reason why not to. I believe it's a case of better late than never in this instance.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 96634
FAX NOW or forever hold your FAX.

Don
Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 22726
I have writers block, what should I included in the letter?
Old 08-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 97797
The following was posted in the Federal Register on Aug.8, 2012.

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...ea-of-critical

Action
Public Land Order.
Summary
This order withdraws 28,727 acres, more or less, of public lands from location and entry under the United States mining laws for a period of 20 years, to minimize impacts to human health, safety, and the environment from hazardous emissions of airborne asbestos fibers within the Clear Creek Serpentine Area of Critical Environmental Concern. In addition, approximately 3,889 acres of non-Federal lands located inside of the boundary of the withdrawal area, if acquired by or returned to the United States, will also be included in the withdrawal. The withdrawal will have no effect on the non-Federal lands until such time as title passes to the United States.

{There is more in the Federal Register}
………………………………...................................... .....

Withdrawal definition;

http://publiclands.uslegal.com/gover...-public-lands/

The term withdrawal means withholding an area of federal land from settlement, sale, location, or entry, under some or all of the general land laws, for the purpose of limiting activities under those laws[v].

Ride on
Brewster
Brewster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 22726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster2 View Post
The following was posted in the Federal Register on Aug.8, 2012.

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...ea-of-critical

Action
Public Land Order.
Summary
This order withdraws 28,727 acres, more or less, of public lands from location and entry under the United States mining laws for a period of 20 years, to minimize impacts to human health, safety, and the environment from hazardous emissions of airborne asbestos fibers within the Clear Creek Serpentine Area of Critical Environmental Concern. In addition, approximately 3,889 acres of non-Federal lands located inside of the boundary of the withdrawal area, if acquired by or returned to the United States, will also be included in the withdrawal. The withdrawal will have no effect on the non-Federal lands until such time as title passes to the United States.

{There is more in the Federal Register}
………………………………...................................... .....

Withdrawal definition;

http://publiclands.uslegal.com/gover...-public-lands/

The term withdrawal means withholding an area of federal land from settlement, sale, location, or entry, under some or all of the general land laws, for the purpose of limiting activities under those laws[v].

Ride on
Brewster
That sucks, but what about the other 20k acres?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 3975
This is the reason for the push to get "Clear Creek National Recreation Area and Conservation Act of 2012 – H.R. 6286" in play and passed, without it the area will remain closed.

The chances of this bill passing are very good given the wide support it enjoys regardless of who wins the elections.

Congressman Samuel S. "Sam" Farr should be commended for this proactive legislation that emphasizes education and informed choice over heavy-handed closure regarding the purely theoretical public health risk that might occur through excessive use of the area.

The bill would allow recreational access to resume under the 2005 travel plan generated through formal agency study and public input. The bill would also designate an adjacent portion of qualifying land with full protection as Wilderness.

This legislation could go a long way in helping restore good relations between the BLM, the County and recreationists. It is a carefully crafted win-win.

We cannot afford to lose anymore OHV recreational opportunities, no matter where they are, whether you'll ever personally use this or the next area at risk, they are all important.

If you haven't already, whether the area is in your backyard or not, please support this bill by taking a minute to contact Congressman Farr’s office and thank him for his leadership via H.R. 6286.

Cong. Farr’s Contact Info:

Salinas Office • 100 W. Alisal Street • Salinas, CA 93901 • Phone: (831) 424-2229 • Toll Free: 800-340-FARR • Fax: (831) 424-7099 •

Santa Cruz Office • 701 Ocean Street, Room 318C • Santa Cruz, CA 95060 • Phone: (831) 429-1976 • Fax: (831) 429-1458 •

Email . . . https://forms.house.gov/farr/webform...subscribe.html

If you don't reside in Sam's backyard, when sending an email just plug in a zip code and if need be an address from above to get past the out-of-district bot, he'll understand and appreciate your support!