Urgent Bad news for Utah - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 136778
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScout View Post
I wonder if it would be beneficial to start a FB account with all of these companies’ names. If it has already been done, I am not aware of it. It just seems that social media is so limited on how far we can go unless you find individual accounts.

I have sent emails to company service departments as Mocha Mike recommended, but it is hard to know if those fall on deaf ears.
we could start making phone calls!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 93509
Urgent Bad news for Utah

Alright, I'll start tomorrow with the Moab businesses that are on the list.

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054475"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]NEED A TUBE BENDER?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
IDScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 93509
Urgent Bad news for Utah

Idea! We need to list all the local businesses in and around Moab who support this letter. This way we all can easily avoid the anti OHV establishments. Can someone local help with alternatives to the listed businesses?

Here is the list of Moab businesses in red and other Utah businesses below that.

Western Spirit Cycling
Moab, UT
Ashley Korenblat
CEO

Canyon Voyages Adventure
Company
Moab, UT
Don and Denise Oblak
Owners

Rim Tours
Moab, UT
Kirstin Peterson
Owner

Moab Cliffs and Canyons
Moab, UT
Brett Sutteer
Owner

Lost River Clothing
Company
Moab, UT
Dave Knowles
President

Skinny Tire Events --
Road Cycling in Moab
Moab, UT
Beth Logan
Owner

Canyonlands Field Institute
Moab, UT
Karla VanderZanden
Director

Miguel’s Baja Grill
Moab, UT
Dave Bodner
Owner

Magpie Adventures
Moab, UT
Maggie Wilson
Owner

Ekletica Cafe
Moab, UT
Julie Fox
Owner

Moab Destination
Management
Moab, UT
Fiona Raison
President

Moab Coffee Roasters
Moab, UT
Jana Wilson
Owner

With Gaia Design
Moab, UT
Kalen Jones
Owner

Nichols Expeditions
Moab, UT
Chuck and Judy Nichols
Owners

White Horse Residential
Homes
Moab, UT
Mark Griffith
Managing Partner

Desert Bistro
Moab, UT
Karl and Michelle Kelley
Owners

Black Diamond Equipment
Salt Lake City, UT
Peter Metcalf
CEO and Lead Founder

Backcountry.com
Park City, UT
Jill Layfield
CEO

Petzl
Clearfield, UT
Roody Rasmussen
Senior Vice President

PROBAR LLC
Salt Lake City, UT
Jules Lambert
President

Gregory Mountain Products
Salt Lake City, UT
Billy Kulczycki
President

Moki Mac
Green River, UT
Bob Quist
Owner

High and Wild
Castle Valley, UT
Jay Smith
Owner

Far Out Expeditions
Bluff, UT
Vaughn Hadenfeldt
Owner/Guide

Bryce Valley KOA
Kampground
Cannonville, UT
John Holland
Owner

Imlay Canyon Gear
Mt. Carmel Junction, UT
Nolan Jones
President

Red Desert Adventures
Springdale, UT
Eric Draper
Owner

Wasatch Touring
Salt Lake City, UT
Charlie and Dwight Butler
Owners and Founders

The Family Outing
Murray, UT
Richard Luke
Owner

International Mountain
Equipment
Salt Lake City, UT
Scott Carson
Owner

Trio Restaurant Group
Salt Lake City, UT
Mikel Trapp
Owner

SOAR Communications
Salt Lake City, UT
Chip Smith
President

Outdoor Utah Adventure
Guide
Salt Lake City, UT
Red Oelerich
Editor-in-Chief

Excalibur Distribution/
DMM Inc.
Sandy, UT
Steve Petro
CEO

SNOCRU
Sundance, UT
Ed Lewis
Founder

Quality Bicycle Products
Ogden, UT
Steve Flagg
President

Alpine Sports
Ogden, UT
Peggie Chambers Ambrey
Owner

Thompson Manufacturing Inc.
Clearfield, UT
Rock Thompson
President

Logan Outdoor Products
Logan, UT
Ty Measom
President

Ultralight Adventure
Equipment
Logan, UT
Chris McMaster
Owner

Treasure Mountain Inn
Park City, UT
Andy Beerman
Owner

Christoph & Company
Park City, UT
Lesley Christoph
President

Grassroots Outdoor Alliance
Park City, UT
Roanne Miller
President

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054475"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]NEED A TUBE BENDER?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]

Last edited by IDScout; 11-21-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 186658
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukijames View Post
this petition only needs 50 more signs please sign and pass it on!

Petition | President Barack Obama: Do Not Designate the Greater Canyonlands Area a National Monument | Change.org

thanks everyone for your help i think companies are going to realize how many people they are pissing off!

I have, and have been passing it along, As well as posting publicly on FB pages and wrote a letter to the President, Utah rep's, and senators. I encourage you all to do this! Moab is an amazing place how it is now. cold calling the businesses is a good idea as well.

Keep up the pressure!
T-rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 75858
A letter written by one of our Michigan guys.

Burton,

As a STRONG supporter and user of your products for over 20 years I am DEEPLY saddened that I have to write this email.

You see, ever since I was 10 years old (I’m now 32) I have ridden a burton snowboard, wore burton boots, socks, pants, jackets, gloves, etc. For over 20 years I have supported what I thought was the BEST in the industry. I am now the father of 2 young children, who for the past 3 years have also owned burton boards, boots, bindings, and apparel. My fiance? She wears and rides the same. My brother, all Burton since I taught him to snowboard when he was 10 years old (he’s now 27).

In my home currently are at least 10 burton jackets, 5 pairs of pants, numerous pairs of socks, 4 pairs of boots, bindings, 8 boards, 4 burton back packs, 2 burton board bags, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Unfortunately my support of your organization will be no longer. Because your support of the Thrillcraft bill and the support of closing the Canyonlands National Park in Utah to ORV use threatens another hobby my family is deeply invested in. ORV useage and the Moab trails. Many of my friends and family have and still do make trips to the ORV areas in Moab Utah to enjoy the seasonal roads, slick rock trails, and sheer beauty the desert has to offer.

I am an equal opportunity outdoorsman, I enjoy ORV use, Downhill mountain bike racing, and snowboarding. I haven’t singled you out, unfortunately I will have to stop supporting Osprey the makers of fantastic hydration packs, Teva-the makers of fantastic Mountain biking shoes, and Red Wing boots, the very boots that myself and many of my friends use for work and play.

I really hope you will reconsider your support of the closing of public lands to specific user groups, instead I would hope you would focus on supporting the education of user groups to use those lands responsibly, just as we use the ski slopes responsibly every winter.

While considering this bill, please take the time to consider the following websites for information on the responsible use of ORV’s on public lands.

www.treadlightly.com
Home | BlueRibbon Coalition
UFWDA | United Four Wheel Drive Associations

Thank you for the years of wonderful products. I hope that you will reconsider your stance on the closing of public lands. I hope to remain a customer.

Thanks,
white-rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
"All Whee Drive!"

Member # 6450
I did some research today, here is what I learned....

Peter Metcalf
President & Co-founder: Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd., Salt Lake City, Utah;
(former) Vice Chair & Board Member: Outdoor Industry Association

It looks like Peter Metcalf is a member of SUWA.

http://www.suwa.org/wp-content/uploa...ny_metcalf.pdf

He also did the SUWA funded commercial:
http://www.suwa.org/wp-content/uploa...ReviewEdit.mp3

What's worse, Black Diamond Equipment actually donates $$$ to SUWA.
http://www.conservationalliance.com/...-organizations

"Think Globally, Act Locally: Black Diamond Supports Utah-based Organizations
October 02, 2008 by John Sterling

Consevation Alliance member Black Diamond Equipment Ltd., a global leader in the climbing and freeride ski markets, announced continued support of local non-profit groups that are active in defending the environment. Black Diamond's efforts include manpower and financial support of Save Our Canyons, Friends of Alta, High Uintas Preservation Council, Friends of the Utah Avalanche Center, Utah Rivers, SUWA, Utah Nature Conservancy and Summit Land Conservancy.

"On a national scale BD has always been active in partnering with groups such as the Access Fund, American Alpine Club and the Conservation Alliance," explains CEO Peter Metcalf. "For the past few years we have deepened our financial backing to diverse local groups with a common mission - that of championing and protecting access and preservation of wild lands. This is key for BD as we want to drive tangible impact on our immediate recreational areas."

It's always great to see our members steppin up on the local level!"

"The views and opinions expressed in any thread by MochaMike are those of the author and do not represent any policy initiatives of any club, organization or friend. Proposed alternatives are the expressed views of the author."

Fordyce Clean Up Oct 11 2014

Last edited by MochaMike; 11-20-2012 at 05:44 PM.
MochaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 12567
Send a message via AIM to ChevotaSS
why is this not on the front page of pirate? you should have to sign the petition to even get into the forums. that would fill the # of signatures pretty damn quick.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Important Follow-up on Massive National Monument Pushed in Utah!

Dear BRC Members and supporters,

We just uploaded a webpage with important information and updates requested by our members and supporters concerning a request made by the Outdoor Industry Association (OIA) and 113 outdoor retailers asking President Obama to designate a massive 1.4 million acre National Monument in southeastern Utah. See BRC's previous blast here. Read OIA's request here.

The webpage is here: Important Follow-up on Massive National Monument Pushed in Utah
Many BRC members were, to be frank, heartbroken to find that many companies they used to buy from supported a massive new National Monument. BRC members are also frustrated and bewildered at the reasons these companies are giving for their support.

This follow up includes an update from Utah's congressional delegation and a letter to the President from the national OHV community. We also have some facts and figures regarding the proposal, as well as information on how the lands are currently protected and managed.

IMPORTANT:
Many BRC members are asking what they can do to stop yet another land grab in Utah. While there are numerous petitions and "click and send" letter generators out there, we strongly encourage you to consider what is the most effective use of your time - a phone call. Why a call instead of signing a petition or letter generator? In today's world of online digital communication, your voice can often get lost or diluted. Phone calls are the exception. A call to your elected representatives is the #1 most effective way to keep these lands open for OHV use. (Click here and enter your zip code for the phone numbers.)

As always, please feel free to call or email with questions and comments.

Brian Hawthorne
Public Lands Policy Director
208-237-1008 ext 102

Ric Foster
Public Lands Dept. Manager
208-237-1008 ext 107

PS: We know many BRC members are in contact with individual businesses who supported the OIA proposal. We also know they would rather not take their business elsewhere. Several of the businesses are now backing away from their support of the monument because they found out they were misled by the proponents who came to them asking them to sign on. However, it is important you support businesses that support continued access and recreation on public lands.
LYIN' KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 93509
Urgent Bad news for Utah

I will also support any business that has their name removed from the letter.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Quote:
I will also support any business that has their name removed from the letter.
Nice, but that doesn't remove the underlying reasons for their signing on to start with does it?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 93509
Urgent Bad news for Utah

True, but if we can make them change their minds by hitting their wallets, to me it is a win. If they don't see any benefit come from their change of position, they will revert back. Most don't really give a shit, they just want to sell merchandise.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 3975
I hear what you are saying but getting them to change an endorsement and changing their predispositions or mind sets are two different things IMHO.

Of all the businesses listed, I’d hazard a guess that the OHV community patronizes 10% (likely far less) on a regular basis. It’s hard to hit a business in the wallet when you don’t put anything in ‘em.

Businesses do want to sell their products or services so they try to attract customers in a variety of ways. Once in the door they attempt to earn customer satisfaction, trust and loyalty to maintain and grow their customer base.

While there were likely a handful of poor decisions made by those who signed on, most business owners are not stupid, try not to shoot themselves in the foot, know who their loyal customers are and how to keep them.

Endorsing this land grab was clearly a calculated decision based upon wallet filling. These endorsements of the Outdoor Industry Association monument proposal would never have become public knowledge were it not the intent to use this as a wallet filling advertisement.

The signatories were merely keeping loyal customers happy while trying to grow their customer base, what they don’t give a shit about are those of us who will never help pad their wallets.

Ironic that they use revenue numbers and employment figures for ALL forms of outdoor recreation as a sales hook in their plea, when in fact they are actually attempting to reduce a large segment of outdoor recreation related businesses, jobs and revenues nationally.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 148059
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYIN' KING View Post
Ironic that they use revenue numbers and employment figures for ALL forms of outdoor recreation as a sales hook in their plea, when in fact they are actually attempting to reduce a large segment of outdoor recreation related businesses, jobs and revenues nationally.
They are deceitfull.

What disgusts me is that as a group, wheelers don't to shut hikers, or mountain bikers, or skiers out. We live, and let live, but these greenies are elitists, and IMO anti-American. We should all have rights, and representation, not just the majority.

Another thought.... If this thing goes through, does anyone think that if Utah's states rights movement makes headway, and restores its balance of power (weighted toward the state/people) -- doese anyone think it could be reversed???
Stonebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #64 (permalink)
"All Whee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Can someone in the know clarify a few things for me:

Iwas under the following impression:

The SUWA initially proposed the area become "Wilderness", which would close all OHV, Equestrian, & Mountain Bike Trails...
There was wide opposition/it was rejected.

So, they moved to plan B, which wouldn't upset as many Bike/campers/hikers:
They submitted a formal PETITION/PROPOSAL (204/84 pages) to have The Greater CanyonLands Monument created.

The OIA sent a 1-2 page LETTER supporting the monument.

Isn't the OIA letter supporting the SUWA's Petition?

Is there another petition/proposal?

What is the difference between a Letter vs Petition?

Many members/leaders of the OIA are actually members/leaders of SUWA.
Numerous OIA businesses, along with several of the businesses on the recent letter, are listed as financial donors/business supporters of the SUWA.

The two are so intertwined, that to me their goals are the same.

"The views and opinions expressed in any thread by MochaMike are those of the author and do not represent any policy initiatives of any club, organization or friend. Proposed alternatives are the expressed views of the author."

Fordyce Clean Up Oct 11 2014
MochaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 93509
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYIN' KING View Post
Point taken and I agree with everything you said. The way I see it now, we will never change the minds of some of these companys so our efforts are best spent on companies that the OHV crowd has a bigger investment in. Camp Chef for example.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Quote:
The way I see it now, we will never change the minds of some of these companys so our efforts are best spent on companies that the OHV crowd has a bigger investment in. Camp Chef for example.
Yup, we can comment ALL DAY LONG on the FB sites of the hard core Enviro/SUWA crowd, they'll just delete 'em. No changing their mind set!

Better to work with businesses who value our patronage and Politicians who side with freedom of access for all.

The “Antiquities Act” was congressionally blessed in 1906, is implemented via Executive Order (created in 1789) for which there is no constitutional provision.

The closest stretch for its standing is the granting of “Executive Power” coupled with a blurb about “making sure laws are properly executed” . . . and that IMHO is a stretch!

In the end, we are fighting BIG Government "over reach" and have to stop it at that level. In the first 50 years following implementation of the "Act" it was so abused that the "powers" originally granted were twice limited by Congress.

The “Act” also says the designation should be confined to the smallest area possible to protect historic stuff on Federal land. This “stuff” includes a broad range of crap commonly known as “all historic and prehistoric sites on United States federal lands”.

Seems they are calling oil and minerals "prehistoric" stuff to me.

Time to reign 'em in!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #67 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
I Agree LK.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxJeff Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 132815
Unrepentant Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 148059
Sorry for my ignorance of this area, but would we loose the BFE area if this goes thru.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonebone View Post
Sorry for my ignorance of this area, but would we loose the BFE area if this goes thru.
Well not according to the OIA/SUWA propaganda but then again . . .

Quote:
They are deceitfull.
What cracks me up is they assert we want this . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGuru View Post
Now, the state of Utah is demanding that the federal government turn over 30 million acres of federal land for potential development and/or privatization and is asserting the right to expand and pave 40,000 miles of dirt routes and trails that crisscross Utah’s federally-owned wildlands.
It’s painfully obvious they don't know us very well as has been demonstrated time and time again!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 148059
I read somewhere that turkey is a natural anti-depressant.... I am gonna gorge myself on it tonight for sure.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 172378
here it is. Looks pretty "balanced" to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mad Machinist; 11-22-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Mad Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 200386
common sence

I just hope that everyone thats going out christmas shopping this season looks at the companies that signed off on this letter and does their best to avoid these products AND THE STORES THAT SALE THEM!! And please everyone sign the petition.
inred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 136778
Quote:
bfe is privately owned we could only loose it if the owners sell it.. but if you make sure we keep putting $ in the donation box we'll never have to worry
Old 11-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #75 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 143447
I'll make sure to drop some coin in that box ^ for sure
norcalrocksolid4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote