Truckhaven To Be Acquired For Ohv Recreation - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3622
Truckhaven To Be Acquired For Ohv Recreation

PRESS RELEASE

May 19, 2006
Natural Resources Consultant
California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs
619-390-8747 or E-mail: john@muirnet.net

######

TRUCKHAVEN TO BE ACQUIRED FOR OHV RECREATION

Sacramento, CA (May 19, 2006): Today the California State Parks Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Commission voted to approve the acquisition of the popular recreation area known as Truckhaven. OHMVR Trust Funds, along with funding from the federal highway funds will be used to purchase 4,300 acres of lands used by off-road recreation for over 50 years.

The acquisition is expected to be final in August-September, 2006. For the near term, few immediate changes are expected. The area will come under management control of the adjacent Ocotillo Wells State Vehicle Recreation area. Over the course of the next 2-3 years, a comprehensive management plan will be developed for the area. There is an expectation that some area will be set aside as "buffer" for the housing and there are a number of archeology sites that will be protected.

During the State Parks presentation to the OHMVR Commission in support of the acquisition project, officials noted that in spite of the signs of heavy recreation use, the area was in better condition that other developed recreation areas. One of the OHMVR Commission members toured the area earlier in the week and commented that the area was surprisingly free of trash that is normal in other heavy use recreation areas. The Native American Tribes in the region are in full support of the keeping Truckhaven open for recreation.

Truckhaven is the site of Tierra del Sol Desert Safari drawing thousands of visitors to the area the first weekend of every March. Desert Safari is one of three major OHV events held in the area. An estimated 90,000 recreationists per year visit the area.

Over the past few months, there has been a lot of behind the scenes political maneuvering. On two occasions, members of the Tierra del Sol Four Wheel Drive Club of San Diego provided area tours for State Park officials and Tribal Leaders. One Tribal representative remarked about her familiarity with Tierra del Sol as her father was a friend of Tierra del Sol founding member Bozzy Willis.

Numerous individual and organization letters were written to southern California Assemblymen and Senators urging their support for the acquisition 26 of them signed a letter to the Commission urging a "yes" vote on the acquisition.

In the end, an expected close vote was a surprising 7-0 vote in favor of acquisition.

######
Old 05-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21750

**ROCKBRAWLERS**
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8294
Sweeeeeeeeeet! :d
Old 05-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
Keeping land open is great news. For Gary and all of the TDS members that helped make this happen.
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
Is this 4,300 acres the ENTIRE area of Truckhaven, or did they just give us these and will fence off the rest of the land out there?

Not trying to be a half-empty kind of guy, just curious.
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
1962 YellowSubmarine

Member # 1494
If I did the math right (slim chance right now) 640 acres is approx 1 sq mile. so 4300 / 640 ~= 6.7 sq miles... the key will be how big the "buffers" and "arch sites" are. But at the very least we're garanteed at least someplace to wheel for the time being.

Ventura County Axle Snappers 4 Wheel Drive Club

Help Fight Global Warming- turn your A/C on high and open all your windows.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store - NOT a government agency!!!!
YellowSub1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
What I was getting at is that I have no idea how big of an area we use out there. Were we used to having 60,000 acres and now we're down to 4,300?

I'm being a pessimist (sp) here cause as a wheeler I've gotten so used to gettin fucked.
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
1962 YellowSubmarine

Member # 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard Dog
What I was getting at is that I have no idea how big of an area we use out there. Were we used to having 60,000 acres and now we're down to 4,300?

I'm being a pessimist (sp) here cause as a wheeler I've gotten so used to gettin fucked.

I'm sure it's way smaller than we're used to, but for reference I think our last camp was approx 1 mile from the road (edit - highway) as the crow flies, so 6 times that distance in a square.... but the other factor is that there is a checkerboard of private property mixed in out there, so I'm guessing the area isn't just " a square.. I'm sure John can relate the actual area to the areas we're used to...

Ventura County Axle Snappers 4 Wheel Drive Club

Help Fight Global Warming- turn your A/C on high and open all your windows.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store - NOT a government agency!!!!

Last edited by YellowSub1962; 05-23-2006 at 10:20 PM.
YellowSub1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3622
The acquisition just applies to approximately 4,300 acres of private land that was up for sale.

The entire Truckhaven area is approximately 12,700 acres. There is and additional almost 6,000 acres that are controlled by the State LAnds Commission.

BLM has about 380 acres.

The rest is under a series of private owners.

At this point in time, few changes are expected in the area available for recreation.

Yes, there will be some archeology sites set aside and there is expectation of a buffer near the houses.

The core area is expected to be available.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlKann
Keeping land open is great news. For Gary and all of the TDS members that helped make this happen.

Earl, if you didn't know "kf6zpl" is John Stewart and he's a member of TDS.
He's been working on this issue for MANY months now.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 13364
Send a message via MSN to SlawDog1
Wow does this mean lots and lots of bikes and quads?
1991 4-runner :slawdog #4
1980 4x4 pickup : slawdog #7
1961 vw baja w/ 22r (so cool)

Hot dogs and coleslaw is good!
SlawDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlawDog1
Wow does this mean lots and lots of bikes and quads?

There's already lots of both out there. They started showing up when Glamis
starting charging fees and stepping up enforcement.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ
Earl, if you didn't know "kf6zpl" is John Stewart and he's a member of TDS.
He's been working on this issue for MANY months now.
Gary, you're the only one that I know that is a TDS member. My thanks to John and the rest of the club members as well.
Donald
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 16812
LandCroozer is offline   Reply With Quote