The Outdoor Industry Association SUPPORTS motorized recreation! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2006, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9328
The Outdoor Industry Association SUPPORTS motorized recreation!

Yep, its true.

OIA Press Releases

OIA Issues Statement on Roadless Areas

For Immediate Release
Myrna Johnson, VP Government Affairs
303-444-3353, ext 203

March 02, 2006 — It has recently been suggested that OIA opposes motorized recreation in roadless areas. Let there be no confusion: OIA supports the broad spectrum of recreation opportunities allowed in roadless areas, from hiking, to mountain bicycling to motorized recreation. OIA has not endorsed closing legal motorized roads and trails in roadless areas. For OIA's complete statement at the Colorado Roadless Areas Review Task Force http://www.outdoorindustry.org/gov.p...sort_year=2006.

http://www.outdoorindustry.org/press...sort_year=2006

And guess what? The eco-nazis are gnashing their teeth at this one, OMG , OUR OIA supports those evil OHVs!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9328
Here's just one of the eco-nazi responses:

WILD BILL
Outdoor Industry Association Should Stand Up For Wilderness
By Bill Schneider, 5-25-06

Two weeks ago while researching an article on outdoor recreation trends, I stumbled across an item on the website of the Outdoor Industry Association (OIA) that shocked me.

In a past life, I was an OIA member and exhibited at the organization’s trade shows for many years, so I feel safe in saying that with few exceptions, such as large box stores like Cabelas that may sell both backpacks and ATV accessories, the organization represents businesses that sell gear for wilderness-related outdoor activities such as hiking and backpacking, Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, rock climbing, and paddling. In fact, we probably can credit OIA with coining the words “human powered” or “muscle powered” to refer to non-motorized recreation. OIA membership includes retail giants like REI and Eastern Mountain Sports, but most members are your local hiking, climbing or paddling store, a few of which also sell bicycles.

Given that background, pardon my surprise to discover that this non-motorized industry association has strongly supported continued use of motorized recreation in inventoried roadless areas in our national forests.

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/top...t/8871/C41/L41

Old 06-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 30371
Poor butt-hurt eco-nazi...call the Jack Kevorkian Wambulance, this one's ready for his innoculation!
CTENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 36233
Before OIA, there was a similar trade organization called ORCA (Outdoor Recreation something or other) that actually coined the term "human powered recreation". I met with the president of ORCA and tried to get them to join TREAD LIGHTLY! No way, even though every board member owned a 4x4 to access areas for trail heads, etc.

We need to make some sort of "ticket" to put under the wipers of those Toyota 4x4 trucks sporting bike and kayak racks on a shell that are illegally parked on public lands so that the owners have easy access to trails and rivers.

Diagram that sentence!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
Before OIA, there was a similar trade organization called ORCA (Outdoor Recreation something or other) that actually coined the term "human powered recreation". I met with the president of ORCA and tried to get them to join TREAD LIGHTLY! No way, even though every board member owned a 4x4 to access areas for trail heads, etc.
Same group, I think, at least OIA claims to have coined that term.