Trail misuse- Dusy/Ershim - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Closed Thread

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 08:27 AM   #176 (permalink)

Member # 29910
Send a message via Yahoo to JeepingEaglesChick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Volume
Ok. ill go to bed, but first what kind of a name is rockhugger?

I slammed and bashed lots of rocks with my no lift 4runner this weekend. They bent my IFS skid plate, A-arms, crossmember, pass rock slider, fender, cat, gas tank skid, etc. I propobly left alot of marks on the rocks, they sure left alot on my 4runner. Are you going to turn me in?

:blackflipoff2:
You obviously do not get it...
Old 08-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #177 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2037
Wow! What a train wreck this turned into The person ultimately responsible was Hobie and he manned up, accepted responsibility and offered to do what he can to make up for his actions. I don't know Hobie but I respect him for this. If we all took half the time we spent arguing and name calling in this thread at put that energy into taking positive steps to keep our trails open and clean, we'd all be better off for it! Just think of all the good things that could happen if everyone that posted in this thread sent a letter, held a clean up, took a kid on a run, educated a new user on trail educate, etc. The results would be awesome!

The choice is ours! We can fight among ourselves or we can fight together to keep the trails we love open for our children and grand-children to enjoy

:rant off:

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers (TDO)

Wheelers for the Wounded of California

Last edited by Rubicrawler; 08-31-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 AM   #178 (permalink)
Grocery Getter

Member # 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepndel
It's time to move on, folks, please. The Internet has once again proven to be a hugely powerful tool. Not only have law enforcement authorities engaged on this from our perspective, but it is my understanding that the company has also engaged with the legal authorities to bring this episode to an end.

People make mistakes and get tickets....maybe go to jail too. Outlaws who do it misbehave often need to be banned from trails also. But that does not appear to be the case here. We how have to let the cops and courts do their thing. We did our part as fellow (and concerned) users.

I'm ask that we quit posting pics here and let the evidence be used where it can best help -- not hurt us more. Anyone can read this stuff we post here. Do not forget that. If you have pic that you think I need to share with the authorities, please email it to me. I have quite a collection now, tho. So I think we're covered.

If you've read my stuff on the Rubicon Trail Talk forum, you know that I believe that if a guy stands up to his mistake, takes the heat, and then learns from it, he still has some of my respect. If he lost some in being a dip-wad, and then he tries to gain it back by making a positive difference to our sport, then I'm the first guy to give him a another chance.

I speak from 40 years of motorized recreation and 25 years of fighting to keep our public lands open and user-friendly to us. I say we've made our point here, and this matter is in the right hands now.

thanks for listening,
Del
Well, I think that some good discussion and education came from this thread:
- stay on the trail,
- don't drive on vegetation that doesn't need to be driven on
- don't drive/park/camp closer than 100' to lakes, etc.,
- some violators got called out,
- positive peer pressure was applied,
- lessons have been learned
- and some apologies have been made.

Unfortunately, a lot of negativity (vendor bashing and bickering amongst ourselves like children) came from this as well, and I fear that it may have overshadowed the good stuff.

In hindsight, I probably should have just sent Del an email instead of posting up publicly, but I'm glad some good did come out of it.

This happens to be a very unique trail. It runs through a narrow (600' wide) corridor between the John Muir and Dinkey Lakes designated Wilderness Areas (the most restrictive type of designation there is). It is VERY unlike the more or less "open" area that Johnson Valley is. I'm actually surprised it didn't get closed when the wilderness areas were created, so I think we're lucky to still even have it. However, its close proximity to the wilderness areas make it high profile and put it under close scrutiny from the forest service, much like the Rubicon is these days. So... we definitely have to be on our best behavior when we're out there. Much more so than most other places in the country (or the world?).

Thank you, Del, for all your hard work keeping places like this open!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 PM   #179 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
as stated earlier, let's get past this and move on to better things.

thread is now locked.

PM me if you feel it needs to be re-opened.
Closed Thread