OHV Trails near Foresthill Closed for Wet Weather Season; - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21172
OHV Trails near Foresthill Closed for Wet Weather Season;

Looks like another trail sys. that might get the shaft (for the winter months)...

[URL="http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/news/07_news_releases/07_feb_15_arrd_ohv_closure.shtml"lSee news release here[/URL]

"The Forest Service is hosting a public meeting on March 15, 2007 at 6:00 in Foresthill (location yet to be determined)"

Attend this meeting... Everyone I know uses this trail system, ethier riding a motorcycle or blasting their jeep on saturday "quick trip"... Get involved....

John G.
Thanks to those already make a difference... The Newbies owe you one...
jgilly69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 21172
Take a Look at this web PDF for some great ideas for some soil erosion control devices.
http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/SERG/restora...%20report.html
jgilly69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2007, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 84193
(From the Tahoe NFS website):
"..The amount of use during wet conditions is increasing at the same time the budget has rapidly been declining. A lower budget has also prevented the District’s ability to conduct routine maintenance on the trail system during the most effective time periods. Add new maintenance problems to the problems that have been getting worse due to lack of funding, and resource damage increases, as does the cost of repairs. The District is rapidly reaching the point when it can no longer balance uses with the resource damage...."

Now are these guys somehow lying about the need for drastic and immediate pay-to-play measures here...or is it that when it comes out of their mouth or even mine...the community just doesn't somehow believe this for gosh sakes please tell me what reason?

Again, you guys are sending your money into national orv leaders who won't even come out from behind the curtain long enough to demand that you dip into your wallets for something they believe should somehow just 'magically' happen with unquantifiable pressure on these resources.

I've outlined what these same 'leaders' have done here in Michigan for decades with over 3,000 miles at a piddly $16/per year and flat sticker sales for 3 years now or better...yet everybody seemingly agrees with the guy in AZ who came on here believing that even less than that per yeasr was just about right....for over 9 million acres!
(with the same guys fighting to keep it at $16 per year for all this time...demanding that we shut down portions of these 'unfixable' trails....for long-term regenerational "studies".)

I know that my bringing up "pay-to-play" in regards to these issues has made me few friends and definitely more enemies than I could ever count....yet tell me...who in the heck else out there is suggesting this concept be implimented immediately to effectively put a tourniquet on both these maintenance issues and our image in general....right on up to the same people you are gladly writing all these checks to so that they continue to keep their mouths shut on this very same subject?

The orv community's mantra:
"We'll fix all this continual damage and do so with "volunteers" forever ....and by gosh on the knee-jerk basis that keeps all this maintenance-related money in our hands and certainly not flowing into a for-profit privitization model working everywhere else in this country for eons..." (a model where we can still reduce the costs of maintenance with the use of volunteers...yet guarantee that the job is done period and accountably right every single time).

Pure greediness and an unwillingness to look down the road as to what we will look like tomorrow is what is killing us now folks....and has been (IMO) for quite some time now.

Last edited by TrailLegacy; 03-07-2007 at 02:31 AM.
TrailLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote