If you weren't able to get your post in during the official rally thread... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Girly Bender

Member # 1842
Send a message via AIM to Roxywheels Send a message via Yahoo to Roxywheels
If you weren't able to get your post in during the official rally thread...

Please post them here! I know many of you are just getting home from work and didn't make it into the thread in time. Please continue to share your thoughts and stories in this thread. And please, give this thread the same respect as you did the other.

Thank everyone for taking the time to participate and proving that we can work together for one common cause!! Keep the Hammers open!!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 105214
Since Kurt was suppose to post mine but didn't

Never been to the hammers but If I had the chance to I'd drop everything, call in sick(even if I get fired), ride on the roof, or wherever possible for the once in a lifetime chance.
FailedAbortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailedAbortion View Post
Since Kurt was suppose to post mine but didn't

Never been to the hammers but If I had the chance to I'd drop everything, call in sick(even if I get fired), ride on the roof, or wherever possible for the once in a lifetime chance.
Sorry brother.... I totally fergot. I was SLAMMED with stuff during the whole rally...(I forgot someone else too...)

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!

I will "offically" thank everyone later. Just need time to type it up.

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 105214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
Sorry brother.... I totally fergot. I was SLAMMED with stuff during the whole rally...(I forgot someone else too...)

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!

I will "offically" thank everyone later. Just need time to type it up.
Its alright...I can put unofficial rally post #2
FailedAbortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 11975
Send a message via AIM to MikeW Send a message via MSN to MikeW Send a message via Yahoo to MikeW
We all have one thing in common, we have experienced land closure to our shooting, hunting and motorized activities. Never been to the Hammers either.
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 82917
i wasn't able to make it into the official thread either but here's my $.02. i've been wheeling, camping, and riding my whole life and seeing areas become closed to those activities is depressing. i've never been to the hammers but it's on the "list." i just hope that it will be open for my kids' "list," too.

andy
ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 69629
It would be a shame

I understand that this place must look an awful lot like Afganistan, but so do so many other places the Marines could find to train. This is too valuable of a resource to the American public to take it away. Some love the Grand Canyon, some love Yellowstone, and some the Pacific Crest Trail. This place is special to millions of Americans as well. It unites them. It motivates them. And it soothes them, just like our other landmarks. Oddly enough, the military proposes to take it over for much the same thing activities for which those red-blooded Americans enjoy. There are so few places our Nation has like this for the public, it would be a shame to take it away. If anything, we should protect it like we protect our other landmarks - not from the public, but for the public.

Keep Johnson Valley open and thriving.

Nick

Last edited by chicomecha; 03-12-2008 at 07:27 PM.
chicomecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3417
Johnson Valley

Hmmm, where to begin we have very few places left in California,that offer so much in diversed OHV use from Serious to mild 4x4 trails, to motorcylces to quads to just the beauty of high desert. My Family has enjoyed Johnson Valley for about 10 years now. With my first and only son just being 20 months old now I would like to share Johson Valley with him and be able to teach him how to enjoy the land, I have no idea of what he will like but I know it will have a motor in it and it will be in the dirt. Johnson Valley is a great place to take your family because of the diverse terrain it offers there is something for everyone there. I urge the USMC to look else where to expand there base. I know that you must train to protect this great country and I applaud you for that but I know there are other area's that can be had that will not affect such a large group of people as the OHV comunity. Having Johnson Valley open to the PUBLIC is one of the reasons that the USMC is important to keep this nation free.

Sincerly,

Rusty F. Folena
Plymouth CA
Old 03-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 21498
I did not get to make it to the offical rally, stuck at work.

Land use is important to everyone.

We all want to see the land cared for and used wisely (Sierra club too), we all just have different opinions on what "wisely" is.

Closing an area that has foe years been used for motorized enjoyment is a blow to our community.

Off roaders as a rule take much better care of the land than we are often given credit for.

I hope another solution can be found to extending the militaries training area without negatively impaction the multi use area that is know as the Hammers.
deadmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Token Bronco Guy

Member # 16474
I wish I could have made it in time to post in the official rally thread, but we were swamped with customers and I just couldn't break away. Those customers are precisely why it is so important to me personally, as well as my partner, my family, my employees and their families, that Johnson Valley must not be tinkered with. You see, we're an off-road shop, and the kind of family recreation and good clean fun that folks travel from all over the world to Johnson Valley for, is what keeps us open. While we do have a rather narrow focus in our business model, catering mostly to Ford Bronco enthusiasts, we do happen to be the closest shop to the Hammers, and we never turn away a fellow wheeler in need who shows up at our door either on the way to, on the way back, or after some breakage during their trip to JV.

Even though we're so close to JV, we and our customers enjoy all of the wide variety of trails and open spaces throughout the Southwest and across the country. But these areas are becoming increasingly rare due to various influences--environmentalist pressures mostly, where the few are able to wield the strong arm of their sponsors in government to lock most of us out of our own land. Now, it seems we have not only the nutty environmentalist whackos to contend with, but also the US Military, an institution which all of our fellow off-roaders hold in the highest esteem, support proudly with our votes, thoughts, prayers and care packages, and even the lives of our loved ones. Of course we understand the need for proper training, as most of us have freinds and loved ones whose very safety and effectiveness in their duties depends on it. But we believe there are other alternatives to closing this most sacred place in our sport, this place which so many Americans aspire to visit and enjoy, indeed, a place that our brave servicemen are fighting to protect our freedom to use.

The desert gets even more remote, more barren, more unused in other directions, for instance toward the east and north. There are also huge swaths of Joshua Tree NP that could be annexed to the base instead of JV, which see fewer visitors and offer less recreation opportunities. Of course, there are those who would consider annexing part of a Joshua Tree NP to a military base sacrilege. Well, for us, annexing Johnson Valley is even worse. To the north and east are vast tracts of unused land, and some designated wilderness. One gets the impression that those in power have chosen to pick on the area we off-road enthusiasts prefer, because it would be the politically easiest to do--we're the easiest pickings. But we're here to show you we're not.

I grew up visiting the desert, exploring this country's remote areas, taking in the sites that are only accessible by motorized travel, and enjoying good clean family fun in the outback. Johnson Valley is important to all Americans as a place where you can still do that. But more than that, it is the birthplace of modern rockcrawling, a sport that has engaged so many families and young people. And since the inception of the sport, no area in the world that has since been used for rockcrawling has matched Johnson Valley's variety, challenge, and even potential for new recreation possibilities. Losing it would be a loss to everyone, not just those who use it now, but those around the country who dream of coming here, and even those who would lose that freedom to do so and not even realize it.

Dusty Sharp
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 79965
Never been to the Hammers. We have already lost the recreational use of so many areas in this country already, it would be a shame to loose this one also.
While I fully support our military, I feel like there are already places under military control that would serve the same purpose.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 78211
I have never been to the Hammers, but hope to some day have the chance!

Save the Hammers!
BLT2RCKTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
I cannot believe this BS, thousands of people on this BB and we get less then 1,500 replies. That sucks in my opinion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/
http://www.marlincrawler.com/
http://www.12voltguy.com/
OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 18320
Keep the Hammers open.
It saddens me that my children will not have the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors the way I have.
elarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 81208
I just got here myself and was disapointed to see that the thread was already closed but I guess I can put my story here...

I've been wheeling all my life basicly. I've owned one type of 4 wheel drive or another all my driving life. I've only heard stories of Johnson Valley, The Rubicon Trail, Moab and other "great" places to wheel.

For the first time in my life I fianally have built a rig that will make it over these trails only to hear that EVERY ONE of them is facing closure because some so called tree hugger wants the forest for himself and has exploited the media and government to make the public think we are ruining the wilderness... the whole world even!! WE are global warming and must be stopped!

Then I hear that Johnson Valley isnt even going to the greenie tree huggers, It's going to be destroyed by the millitary! What makes OUR government think this is acceptable?? If WE dont want it then so shouldnt our government, but are they doing this for us?? or do they have their own personal ajenda to follow? What back room deals make this perfect place worth ruining?? After they ruin it they'll close it because of ordnance on the ground and it'll just sit there unusable!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 78211
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOP'S View Post
I cannot believe this BS, thousands of people on this BB and we get less then 1,500 replies. That sucks in my opinion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that many people were working, had this been later, there would have been several more replies. 1500 replies is kind of weak, but I could not get in due to being at work.
BLT2RCKTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 81208
Quote:

Most people WORK!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 52596
I had to break out the calculator to find out how many years I have been coming up from Orange County, CA to enjoy my weekends in the high desert. In my early teens we hung out at El Mirage, as my friends and I grew older we ventured further and further into the desert. Barstow, Red Mountain, Soggy and Means dry lake ect. ect. It would be a shame to close yet another riding area. I have seen it slowly dwindle. Millions of acres of public land has been shut down over the past 25 years. I am hoping that we- the people - can make a difference this time. Nothing relieves the pent up stress of metropolis living, like having an ice cold beer while staring into the fire after a long day of riding.
Through out my 33 years of utilizing the desert, which have included dirtbiking, racing, hiking, geocaching, and four wheeling. I am looking forward to being able to maintain our right to use this area know as: "the Hammers" in Southern California.
Y-JDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 70258
First of all, I support our Military whole heartedly and agree that they need land to train on. With that said, I strongly encourage you to consider other options for land than the Johnson Valley Trails.

I was not able to make it home in time for the Virtual Protest Rally, but I wanted to post here in hopes of encouraging you to look at other options.

I have 4 boys who I take Wheeling with me. I have a licensed rig that we trailer all over the East for Wheeling trips in various states. Harlan, Ky, .....Badlands, Attica, as examples.

While we have not been out to the Johnson Valley OHV area, it is definitely on our list of places to visit on our planned trip in 2009. When we travel to offroad parks or wheeling areas we not only spend money on fuel to get there, but we pay for fuel while we are there.....We also spend money on groceries, lodging, any repairs that are needed, etc. in the local area of the place we are visiting. There are many others who do the same, which supports the local economy.

I strongly believe in our priviledge of enjoying our public lands and also strongly encourage you to consider other alternatives to the Johnson Valley OHV area.

Thank you

Steve Stroud
Old 03-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 44496
Anytime public land is closed, memories are lost. Those memories consist of those from way back in the day, last year, last week and ultimately from years to come. JV is great place for people to unwind, get together, have fun, enjoy the outdoors and time with the family. I only hope that I get a chance to make the journey across the US to be able to experience this beautiful place first hand with my wife and daughters at my side. All I can do right now is live through the experiences, stories, pics and wonderfull videos of the area. Keep em coming guys. This place has it all.

Please don't infringe upon this great place of recreation and togetherness. It needs to be around for years to come!

Steve Powers
gawag@comcast.net
Old 03-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 19733
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2RCKTRD View Post
I think that many people were working, had this been later, there would have been several more replies. 1500 replies is kind of weak, but I could not get in due to being at work.
Im just getting home now. Things blew up at work today. Im sorry I could make the rally. The hammers are not near my home but I hear the storys all the same. I really want to go to the hammers very soon. I was hoping within the next year. I feel like if I dont hurry up and go to all the wheeling destinations on my list within the next year or so they will get closed before I get there. I have a trip to Tellico planned but thats not looking good either. With all the land closures and fuel prices going up its just keeps getting harder and harder to find good places to go fourwheeling.

Please, let us keep the little bit of land we have left.

You dont know if your wrong till your upside-down.
rpm4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
Quote:
Oops it was slammed the last couple hours, try'd multple times to add pics etc. couldn't get through.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11829
As a military member and as a member of the off-road community more specifically a person who has been stationed as Camp Pendleton, Ca I have a difficult time believing the military does not have enough space to provide training missions or training resources that it needs to take possibly one of the worlds greatest off-road wonders and restrict it from the use of the public domain.

I have spent much of what little time off I get from serving my country enjoying the use of its recreational facilities. I have enjoyed its beauty and wonder, my friends have invested years of time, and some have memorials there. More importantly people have chosen to have their ashes spread there. To me that is a symbol that it should remain available for the public to enjoy.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 23671
Send a message via AIM to Spooky Send a message via Yahoo to Spooky
I have run the Rubicon and many of Moab's trails with my brother. I would like to have the opportunity to run the Hammers with my brother some day. The USMC annexing the Hammers area would have a very negative impact on the local area's economy and ecological factors. The USMC will be forced to comply with a myriad of environmentally extremist rules that would negate any benefits of obtaining the area for its training. They need to work with the other agencies on using training areas and to better use their own. KEEP THE HAMMERS WITH THE PUBLIC!

Mike
Old 03-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 42255
I am sorry that I missed the official Rally, I have sent emails to the USMC, about how important it is to keep these trails open. Even more important now that the KOH race has been so succesfull.
Ian from Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote