I need help re-opening a trail - Jergins... - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 4682
Pm me when you guys want to do something. I can probably get a few guys from my club to join as well.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 159101
That would be great, thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #129 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
I happen to know that EDC is interested in all of their County roads and the public access they grant in regards to the feds. If it is indeed a County Road, you have a great ally. Use them and win.
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 159101
That is the ticket. Im trying to get the map to prove it. The first good bit of the trail is Boulder Mine Rd. which was used to access the respective mine. I have a hunch with the age of the mine that once upon a time it was in some form county. Ill be taking a trip up to the county office soon.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 159101

Ok, just was browsing through some old maps and found a couple that document the trail back in 1949. Good to know it was a documented route over sixty years ago.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #132 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Can you e-mail the whole thing to me or tell me where you found this? Was in the Berkeley library or from Lightfoots post in the Rubicon section?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 159101
I believe it was Lightfoots link. It was from the USGS historical maps search anyways. I have two different PDF's I can send, I am sure there is more, whats the email you would prefer?

Here is the link to the map generator. Just double click a location and it gives you a list of historic maps to download.
http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/...a=%24ROOT)/.do
Old 03-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #134 (permalink)
Prospector

Member # 10770
See post 108 - this is the same road, "97" on that map of county maintained roads. I do have the actual hard copies of the maps if needed.

Public Lands For the People
88bigvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 159101
I think "97" is the continuation of Jurgens Road itself which is still county maintained and not the trail itself.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #136 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Call me tomorrow Hunter, I got some contacts for you...we may have some "help" on this

I will pm you my cell.

Bebe
Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Sweet! Thanks Bebe, Pm'd ya. I have a few other angles I am trying to work with as well that I have been looking at so hopefully good things are in store.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #138 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1746
Wow, this is great news!
Please let me know if I can be of any help
Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #139 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1725
Some friends and I that use to run this trail would be willing to help out if we can, let us know what we can do!

Jeff

TFab 100 Proof "getting it buggy" LS2/TH400/4 spd. Atlas/Prorock D60 front/D70U rear CTM 37/40 spline shafts thruout/42" Kevlar stickies on Racelines...blah blah blah........

NO LIMIT CREW

R.I.P. Dave "Kyle" Halabuk
BMFNTOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
Can you e-mail the whole thing to me or tell me where you found this? Was in the Berkeley library or from Lightfoots post in the Rubicon section?
I have the PLAT4GPS maps for Cali as well as Garmin 24k. Garmin's does not show anything but Jurgens road and Jasper Rd/circle...does not show Bolder mine Rd. CA-PLAT4 does show them as well as all the parcel boundaries and landowner names. The old mine is w/in the State preserve (Pine Hill) and the mine road begins in private property (off Jurgens Rd, 3 different owners), goes through BLM, then through private (3 more owners) and ends in the preserve.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Sent an email over to the Mother Lode Director, Bill Haigh, informing him there will be some form of a rally in the upcoming future to regain access on the landowner side. His reply:
"Thanks for letting me know about this. Please keep in mind that there is no current legal access to the Boulder Mine Road other than across private land. My understanding is that access has not been illegally blocked; rather, the private landowners simply havenít agreed to let folks cross their land. As these are private residences with families living on site, any entry or destruction of property on these private lands would certainly be viewed as trespass by local law enforcement. If you do conduct a rally, I strongly suggest you do so in a manner that respects private property rights.

Should you wish to discuss this with our lead law enforcement ranger, Kevin Harrison, please feel free to give him a call. Kevin can be reached at 916 941-3107.

Bill Haigh"
6-18-12

Yes, we know this. But this also confirms that the BLM has not shut down OHV use for the trail because in the email I had sent to him I had said, "I know the access is illegally blocked by the private landowners, however, the BLM portion of the trail is open to OHV use". Bill did not diffute this claim in his response.

I told the BLM because:
I wanted to confirm OHV use was still allowed on the BLM portion (one less battle to fight), its just a matter of focusing on the homeowner side now, and I wanted to see the position BLM would take on this issue.

So, taking a step back and looking over the issue, it is apparent there are two options that can be taken in regards to the access issue with the private landowners. One route to take would be an occupy movement/rally to try and regain access. I originally thought this would be a solid route to take. However, I still feel this route I feel woud still inevitably lead to taking the landowners to court. I know I don't want to say this but a large group of OHV users is exactly what the landowners don't want to see. Part of the reason access was closed was the high amount of traffic. I still feel that they should have no control over a public easement just because of high amount of traffic, or for any other reason for that matter, but hey it happened. Yet, I do feel we need to have our voices heard and let the landowners know our story.

After thinking of what also would be effective other than a direct rally, I thought of having a sort of town hall meeting if you will. The OHV community will sit down with the landowners along with BLM officials to discuss how we can re-obtain access again. Illegal closure or not, the landowners have the key to the gates. We compromise with the landowners we can avoid the courts. Avoiding the courts means saving time and money. The point of this would be to compromise on issues that caused the closure of access in the first place. I hate to say it, but in this day of age, compromise is going to be needed to keep our lands open. We as an OHV community will listen to the landowners and the issues they had when the trail was open. We as an OHV community will respond on how we can and will address these issues. We will inform the landowners of our principals out on the trail: policing our own, cleaning up trash, trail maintanence, etc.... The BLM's presence will also serve as a means to address the previous problems in the past. BLM can address the fire restrictions, seasonal closures, camping (partying), legal presence, shooting restrictions, etc... All of this would serve as a means to negotiate in a manner that hopefully would meet the means of all parties involved. This route will allow our voices to be heard, still make a large OHV presence at the meeting. However this route all depends on the landowners: one if they even want to be a part of the meeting and two if they even want to compromise at all.

If this is the case then we occupy, then we go to the courts, and get our trail back. What does the rest of the community feel is the best route to take?

Vince, I've swung by your place 5-6 times but ya havent been home. If anyone wants to discuss what should be done let me know. I was just down at the river yesterday and had the time of life fishing and swimming down there watching the rafters go by so lets get this open!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #142 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
We need to establish if Boulder Mine Rd is a County Road (as depicted on Maps) or if it a Private Rd.

We need to establish if it is legally or illegally gated.

At this point only the County information can lead it to the next step.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Exactly, I'm in the process of this right now as we speak. Trying to get some info from the county right now.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #144 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Jurgens is definitely a County Maintained Rd.

http://edcapps.edcgov.us/dot/CountyRoads/map8H51.pdf
Old 06-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Yep, Jurgens definitely is just gotta find the one with Boulder Mine as once county. It would be almost right across from Woodsman on the map you linked Bebe. I just sent a letter over to the County to try and get some info on Boulder Mine Road (i.e. ownership and easement rights). Hope to hear from them soon. Also sent a letter back over to Bill Haigh at the BLM to see if they woud be willing to be a part of a community style meeting. Hopefully we get some good news in the next few days.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 4682
Good work. Keep us posted.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 94
Send a message via ICQ to ROCKLIMO
When you want to find the skinny go to the source. And I did just that....well he actually came to me. I am dooing some ornamental iron work for him as we speek. The land owner at the trailhead (Tod) where it is blocked had nothing to do with the closure. The road is owned by an out of town guy by the name of PISOR (sp). He ownes both sides of Jergens. According to Tod Mr.Pisor had plans of building a barn on that side of Jergens, so he blocked it. Tod also has an easement through Mr. Pisors land for his driveway. Anyway the miners whom had existing claims filed suit and won. They and only they(claim holders) have access, (yes motorized vehicle use is allowed in the Salmon Falls Unit of the Pine Hill Preserve) through Tods property, granted by the judge. There is a gate and a new road on Tods land that drops in at the BLM gate. The road has been rerouted around all private property behind the BLM gate. According to Tod the road from Boulder Mine to the river is in Bad shape from the snow damage a few years ago....lots of trees and such taking over the trail. So now we all know the rest of the story. So what is next?...I'm going fishin'
Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Vince, when are you home to chat?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 3877
Wheeled this with my kids Many times just to get to the river for a swim. Name is Al Hartman & all my kids are of age to be counted as well.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 3346
Send a message via AIM to KILLERXJ
Did anything ever come of this trail re-opening?
KILLERXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.