Get off yer ass and GET INVOLVED. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 05:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2497
Angry Get off yer ass and GET INVOLVED.

As of October 2008, there are only 3700 members of United Four Wheel Drive Association. 3700. There are 40 times that many people registered on Pirate. FORTY TIMES that many. We are going to lose access to public lands if we dont get our shit together and stand up in unison against land closures and anti-access efforts. Pay attention, this is real simple - the world is run by those who show up, and WE ARENT SHOWING UP!!!!!

Maybe UFWDA aint the right organization, but at least they are TRYING to do something. Are you? Its pretty bleeping obvious that YOU ARENT DOING YOUR PART!!!! How can UFWDA and BRC stand up against the likes of the Sierra Club, Trout Unlimited, SUWA and all those other limosine liberal, unlimited funding, room-full-o-greenie-lawyers anti-access groups if WE dont support their efforts? THEY CANT.

Wake up. Join a local 4X4 club, and get that club to join UFWDA or BRC. There's over 120,000 people registered on Pirate4x4 alone. 80%-90% of that number should be registered, due-paying members of a local club which is a member of United or BRC. Those dues go to support legal efforts to protect what you live. If you arent a member of a club that's working in support of a national organization like United Four Wheel Drive Association or Blue Ribbon Coalition then YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM and are supporting the cause of land closures.

Get off your lazy ass, spend a few bucks and join a local club, or join BRC or UFWDA directly and pay the dues to help the fight! If you dont, then know that you suck, and take pride in having helped bring an end to the 4X4 off-road lifestyle and sport.
Alabamatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
Wow, gotta love a supporter!!!! For sure, it's about membership. That's what it will take to save our access.

thanks for jumping in,
Del

Building an Access Army to Fight Back -- SOLDIER UP
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 104953
Thanks for the reminder that 4x4 organizations like UFWDA need members to help pay the bills for advocacy efforts.

There are probably an awful lot of four wheelers who think that because they do belong to an association or club that 'belongs' to UFWDA for example, then they are automatically doing their part. An entire organization can 'belong' for as little as $100 a year! That might give a 'feel-good' image but it certainly doesn't pay for much.

UFWDA knows that it has the backing of the organizations that have affiliated and that includes the international organizations who each pay US$200 per year.

On just that basis UFWDA could lay claim to over 20,000 'members' internationally through the Southern African, the Australian and the New Zealand national 4x4 organisations all being members. Fortunately those outfits don't require much attention from UFWDA and so don't cost much to service. They are pleased to be part of UFWDA so that information can be quickly exchanged about both problems and successes. (The world's 'environmental' groups have been successfully networking for years to divide and conquer for their own purposes.)

The ongoing barrage of land access issues in the USA is a different matter and with the possibility of a change in federal policies again, it is vital that four wheelers help fund those who are on the frontline.

Go to www.ufwda.org and sign up personally or donate a "Tank of gas".
Old 11-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 37294
Disagree with me as you will but I think people for some reason dont want to contribute a few dollars to the cause
oddball4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 104837
Send a message via AIM to XZettle
Thanks for reminding me, my renewals are coming up.

On a side note....I had a Sierra Club guy at my front doorstep on halloween who I chased with a shovel off my property.

The battle against us is HUGE and there are a ton of them. UFWDA and BRC need all the help they can get against these guys.

If you really want to get fired up, check out the "thrillcraft" video....there is a link to it in one of these threads.
XZettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock Unstacker

Member # 101998
I have to respectfully disagree with joining a "4-wheeling club" to support these organizations. I think people should join organizations (which are not corrupt...nobody talked about the corrupt one here thankfully) on their own outside of these clubs that seem to be only about holding meetings, recording minutes, holding club elections, counting their pennies in their "treasury", etc. For someone who is busy enough as it is and already has to deal with that crap at work, that is the last thing I want to do with the little free time that I have...I just want to wheel!

Now, that being said I want to make it very clear........................I AM A MEMBER OF AND SUPPORT LAND ACCESS ORGANIZATIONS. I just renewed my membership to TreadLightly yesterday, I am an active member of UFWDA, and I just wrote my long letter using the letter generator for the Hammers. IMO I would rather see people sign up for these organizations to support the cause and do their part in writing letters when they can, rather then join a club just to be "in a club". Not to mention there's some "clubs" that even charge for trail runs....don't even get me started on that one I think everyone can do their part, but I think the "off road club" thing has gotten to bureaucratic and sometimes forgets what we all share in common....wheeling!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamatoy View Post
As of October 2008, there are only 3700 members of United Four Wheel Drive Association. 3700. There are 40 times that many people registered on Pirate. FORTY TIMES that many. We are going to lose access to public lands if we dont get our shit together and stand up in unison against land closures and anti-access efforts. Pay attention, this is real simple - the world is run by those who show up, and WE ARENT SHOWING UP!!!!!

Maybe UFWDA aint the right organization, but at least they are TRYING to do something. Are you? Its pretty bleeping obvious that YOU ARENT DOING YOUR PART!!!! How can UFWDA and BRC stand up against the likes of the Sierra Club, Trout Unlimited, SUWA and all those other limosine liberal, unlimited funding, room-full-o-greenie-lawyers anti-access groups if WE dont support their efforts? THEY CANT.

Wake up. Join a local 4X4 club, and get that club to join UFWDA or BRC. There's over 120,000 people registered on Pirate4x4 alone. 80%-90% of that number should be registered, due-paying members of a local club which is a member of United or BRC. Those dues go to support legal efforts to protect what you live. If you arent a member of a club that's working in support of a national organization like United Four Wheel Drive Association or Blue Ribbon Coalition then YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM and are supporting the cause of land closures.

Get off your lazy ass, spend a few bucks and join a local club, or join BRC or UFWDA directly and pay the dues to help the fight! If you dont, then know that you suck, and take pride in having helped bring an end to the 4X4 off-road lifestyle and sport.
I suggest the first step being that a certain organization (not listed) start posting more frequent updates on their website and more communications from the president who openly stated that he does not use the internet. adapt or be gone!

People like to be informed and without that valuable and needed information then you will find less people involved and willing to give you their support (money, time, letters). Doc, I know you're a good guy and I fully support what you're saying but you can pass this message along to the "other" ones.

I'm damn near tempted to run for that office but I'm afraid I've pissed way too many people off to win a vote.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconJeepGuy View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with joining a "4-wheeling club" to support these organizations. I think people should join organizations (which are not corrupt...nobody talked about the corrupt one here thankfully) on their own outside of these clubs...
As long as affiliation exists, either is good. The challenge is to get involved and stay informed... in doing so, you broaden the membership and support for the organization you join. Some folks get wound around the axle in on being 'independents' or 'clubbies' but IMHO, neither excludes the other.

However you do it, get involved locally, regionally, and nationally -- it ain't that hard, or that expensive -- and then use the information and awareness that results to engage pro-actively with your letters, your attendance to rallies, and your votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconJeepGuy View Post
I'm damn near tempted to run for that office but I'm afraid I've pissed way too many people off to win a vote.
Only one way to find out -- we need more new blood in our organizations to keep them moving forward. That's not to say that we don't need the experience of existing leaders (WE DO!), but without a continual infusion of new folks willing to lead, we'll burn out and age out our existing leaders...

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 55622
Thanks for the words of wisdom to all who do not support any organization.
I, as a member of the UFWDA Board do my part. I am also a member of BRC, Cal4 and a member of two local clubs, and I am on the BOD's for both of those.

All of the local, state and national organizations need members to feed the legal machine that we use to fight trail closures.
Memberships help us all in this fight.

I know many people who are members of more then one organization, and spend well over $200.00 a year in dues. I also donate to UFWDA with time, and money to all of these organizations.

I ask everyone else here to donate either your time, or money or both to these organizations.
Here is a link to the UFWDA store to donate: http://www.ufwda.org/store/index.php...index&cPath=13

UFWDA is run by volunteers, and we all donate many hours of our time to this organization each year. Why do we do it? We all love this sport and want to see it continue for many generations to come.

Thanks for bringing this to everyones attention.

Todd

Access Army Air Warrior
Sponsored by:
[URL="http://www.raceline.com"]Raceline Wheels[/URL],
[URL="http://www.currieenterprises.com/"]http://www.currieenterprises.com/[/URL]
BFG, ARB, Advance Adapters, Hi Lift Jack, Rocky Trail Outfitters, Camel4x4.

Last edited by navy-jeepster; 11-05-2008 at 03:33 PM.
navy-jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
Join something; join them all; but join. Membership is key right now, along with uniting our forces. My whole rant (more like article, and not a rant) is about united, mobilizing and joining. It's headline news right here on Pirate4x4 home page. Check it out for the three steps I think we need to take for this very purpose -- get up and do something.

Del

Building an Access Army to Fight Back -- SOLDIER UP
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 55622
Here are the current UFWDA logos for people to use on their web site.

Please feel free to use these on web sites, and forums. Please provide a link to www.ufwda.org

Todd

Access Army Air Warrior
Sponsored by:
[URL="http://www.raceline.com"]Raceline Wheels[/URL],
[URL="http://www.currieenterprises.com/"]http://www.currieenterprises.com/[/URL]
BFG, ARB, Advance Adapters, Hi Lift Jack, Rocky Trail Outfitters, Camel4x4.
navy-jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote