BLM national strategy for motorized ORV use. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2001, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12
Unhappy BLM national strategy for motorized ORV use.

http://www.blm.gov/ohv/index.htm

------------------
1943 Willys, Buick V6, Chevy TH350, Warn overdrive, 538's, Wagoneer 44's, lockers, spring over, 4-wheel discs, 35" Baja Claws. External roll cage by BRfabworks. Comeawn!!!

www.jeeper4x4.com
Glenn@jeeper4x4.com
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2288
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:

http://www.blm.gov/ohv/index.htm

Interesting. I didn't have time to read and review all of it, but there were things I liked and didn't like about it.

One thing I liked was the language in the Fees and Funding Section, Management Goal I, Action 6, that provides for assistance in partnering with "motorized OHV user groups" in applying for grants. I'm not exactly sure what this means or what the purpose of the grants are for, but it sounds like a local 4x4 club can actually apply for some kind of a grant, presumably to assist in the strategy's "public involvement" efforts in maintaining open trails. The same Management Goal section calls for partnering with aftermarket companies, who have usually demonstrated apathy and silence throughout this whole land use debate while they profit off of us.

One thing I didn't like was the strategy's consideration of seeking volunteers from "outside groups" from "within the environmental community". What is that supposed to mean? What would be their criteria for determining what an "environmental group" is? Earth First and ELF can probably make a claim that they're "environmental groups".

The Center for Biological Diversity, responsible for the Glamis Sand Dune closure, claims to be an "environmental group", yet they completely ignore championing the clean up of the New River, just a few miles west of Glamis, that is one of the most contaminated rivers in the U.S. Instead of addressing a river known to carry the polio virus, among other hazardous wastes dangerous to human health and the environment, they focus their energy on attacking a legitimate recreational activity enjoyed by many hardworking, tax-paying Americans. Where is their priority on the environment?

And what about "OHV groups" (as they like to call us)? Who's to say that a local off-road club is not an environmental group? After all, don't local off-road club members usually outnumber by ridiculous odds the so-called "environmental groups" when it comes to trail cleanups?

These are just a few comments I had about the strategy.

------------------
Ed Q.
99 Tacoma Prerunner
Arlington/DFW TX4x4 Club
TTORA TX Chapter
http://members.aol.com/equin44484/boorunnerpage.html
EQuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2001, 01:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
1962 YellowSubmarine

Member # 1494
<FONT COLOR="Yellow">lots of valid points, now if everyone would just get involved and take a stand, we might not be in the situation we're in now.</FONT c>

------------------
<FONT COLOR="yellow">"Its a Wheelbase Thing, Your Jeep Wouldn't Understand"</FONT c>

Peter S. Di Primo
V.P. - Ventura County Axle Snappers 4WDC
www.axlesnappers.com
Yellowsub1962@aol.com
YellowSub1962 is offline   Reply With Quote