|05-17-2001, 12:24 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Aug 2000
Member # 1494
Location: The Land Of The Free, Thanks To The Brave!
FYI: Off-Roaders Push to Preserve Acess to Rail Trail
Off-Roaders Push to Preserve Acess to Rail Trail
Publication: Record Searchlight
OFF-ROADERS PUSH TO PRESERVE ACCESS TO RAIL TRAIL
Byline: Tim Hearden***
* BLM says ban would make recreation area safer
* A vigorous debate between off-road vehicle users and other outdoor
enthusiasts prompted Shasta County supervisors to take a longer look at a
proposed motor vehicle ban on the new Sacramento River Rail Trail.
* More than a dozen speakers at Tuesday's meeting were about evenly divided
in their opinions of the ban, as offroad vehicle users said they wanted to
use the trail as an alternate route in and out of their 55,000-acre park near
* Supervisors delayed a decision on the ban for six weeks so they can tour
the site, research the ban's impact on people with disabilities and enable
off-road vehicle enthusiasts to continue a dialogue with the U.S. Bureau of
Land Management, which owns much of the land the trail traverses.
* I'm a little uncomfortable with this, said Supervisor Irwin Fust, referring
to off-roaders' assertion that their only access road, Coram Road, has become
so overused that it is unsafe.
* The BLM wants the vehicle and gun ban to promote safety on the new
nine-mile trail, which runs on an old railroad bed from Keswick to the base
of the Shasta Dam.
* Bicyclists, runners and horseback riders told supervisors that firearms and
motor vehicles were incompatible with other trail uses.
* Supervisors said they supported the idea of a gun ban near the trail and
also favored closing the trail and the Keswick Lake boat launch area at
night. But as for the motor vehicle ban, Fust said he'd like to be sure that
an alternative road will eventually be built for the off-road vehicle park,
which has 250 miles of roads and trails.
Peter S. Di Primo - Waterjet, laser, metal forming, CNC work, Fiberglass and Carbon work, patterns and molds. No job too small.
Prototyping and small production is our specialty, but we have the network to handle large jobs as well.
Email me if you need something cut, bent, formed, milled, machined, etc.
Ventura County Axle Snappers 4 Wheel Drive Club
Help Fight Global Warming- turn your A/C on high and open all your windows.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store - NOT a government agency!!!!