Aetna mountain road, chattanooga tennessee - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Today I went and rode at Aetna Mountain. It was a great ride and my first time there, thanks YJ-General and thetastelingers for the directions. I had a long talk with the security guard of the neighborhood and found out some interesting things.

1. They were putting letters on all of the parked vehicles parked near the neighborhood. They said, “All property adjacent to the roadbed up the mountain is privately owned. Although we are allowing vehicles to use the road at this point, parking on property outside the road is not allowed. The sign at the end of pavement outlines this. If you park on private property, you are subject to be towed. If towed contact Yates Towing at 629-6621” The security guard said that nobody would be towed this weekend (11-20-10) but they MIGHT start next weekend (11-27-10). Basically (according to the guard) it would be illegal to tow anyone in the area because it is not specifically marked which areas are private property adjacent to the road.

2. There is no gate up in front of the road. There are steel posts where a gate could/would/will go, but (again, according to the guard) the gate will not be erected any time soon. He said that there is another land owner up higher on the mountain who does not want his property gated off.

3. This seems like a case of a few bad apples ruining the whole damn pie for everyone else. I was told that the parking area used to be gravel and much nicer in the past. According to the guard (see the trend?) some idiots on sport quads cut donuts in the gravel and tore it all to hell. That, along with another dumbass in some big truck digging out massive ruts, enhanced the volatile attitude to the offroaders in the area and helped give them reasons to not work with us.

4. To me, this place just seems like a ticking timebomb anyhow. It is great riding with lots of variety in the terrain, but it won’t be long until someone gets killed out there. There are just too many dumbasses out on their ATV’s half drunk and riding like they’re being chased to make me think otherwise.

Let me know if you have any questions. Odds are I left something out that could have been important. I think the bottom line is that another access road needs to be cut because the neighborhood doesn’t seem like they are going to be helpful at all. Just let me know when the work day is.

-Drew
DirtRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 127623
im pretty sure people have already died out there 2 that i recall heavy drinking involved
datoke71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 109523
i truly is one of the last "wild west" type of places left to ride, thats for sure.

come, ride, camp, at your own risk... and never leave a vehicle overnight without supervision... it wont be the same or there when you come back...

great terrain though.
YJ-GENRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 130141
Is Aetn Mountain Closed & where does Tim Cameron run his buggy in the snow up their. I want to go & play.
zukiboy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 187833
hey there drew, matter of fact, my name is drew as well and im a long time chattanooga boy, i know the trails here well except for one area...aetna, i have been wanting to scope it out and map it for quite sometime but i have been sticking to signals wide variety of trails and lookouts 365 trails near where i live and every now and then go out to houston valley in dalton area, i have other places and know them all extremely well but im lookin for some guidance, and help, i want to hit up ol Mt. aetna, i have some buddies living near there and i see that you have talked to a guard, where is this neighborhood, id like to talk with this man, kindly of course because he is only doing his job and figure out where i can go and where i cant, i was downtown in chattanooga when a man with about 3 teeth walked up to my truck with his wife asking if the truck and fourwheeler were mine, i said yes and we got to talking about this neighboorhood where he just happens to live and he kindly said of course "fried chicken hell right you can come over and come ride" directions would be greatly appreciated and for those who want a map to aetna, i am more than willing to make a great one with gps tracking and supply videos of every trail i find, i just need the oppurtunity to go up there. thankyou for your time
-DREW, lookout
lookout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 188048
update?

We need an update on this issue. I heard a nasty rumor that they finally put in gates across the entrences. Is there any truth to this rumor?
drewcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 127623
join werock
datoke71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 121452
Aetna Update

Well we just rode up there today and the rent a cop is still there, kind of funny how he gets out of the car with a clipboard and we just wave and drive by, but there is not a gate. They are building a new road and what seems to be some new houses or something. Anyway we had a blast.
r2p2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 73059
9-/

A long-running dispute over access to Aetna Mountain Road in Lookout Valley was revived at the City Council meeting Tuesday night.

Jeff Perlaky said a judge ruled a number of years ago that the old dirt road is a public road.

But he said he has not been able to reach his property on the mountain recently, saying it has been blocked by off-duty city police officers.

He said Sgt. Rick Mincey resides at Cummings Cove and "told me to find an alternate route to my land."

Mr. Perlaky said, "It seems like he has a conflict of interest."

City Attorney Mike McMahan told Mr. Perlaky he and police official Jeannie Snyder would meet with him after the meeting.

Owners of Cummings Cove are planning a major development on land atop the mountain and a new road is being built up the mountain in place of the old one.

Cummings Cove owners say many people go up the old road and destroy private property.
Rockhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 73059
^that was from 9/28/11

This is from couple weeks ago

City Police Directed To Stop Off-Duty Work At Aetna Mountain Road
posted October 7, 2011

Chattanooga Police officers have been directed to no longer work off duty in patrolling Aetna Mountain Road in Lookout Valley.

Chief Bobby Dodd said in a memo: "CPD will stop the extra job at the Aetna Mtn/Black Creek Subdivision based on a recent court order and legal advice from the city attorney. This is in reference to the blocking of the Aetna Mtn access road."

Jeff Perlaky, who owns property at the top of the mountain above the Cummings Cove subdivision, told City Council members recently that officers had been blocking the road.

He said he was told by Sgt. Rick Mincey to take an alternate route up the mountain.

Mr. Perlaky said a judge ruled several years ago that the old road is a public road.

After the meeting, Mr. Perlaky met with City Attorney Mike McMahan and with police official Jeannie Snyder.

Email this to a friend
Old 10-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #61 (permalink)
angry

Member # 21215
Thanks for the update
Old 10-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #62 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Right on!!! That's what you get when a judge says it is a "public" road.

Well done.
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
Racer Jack tm
Almar Mfg 530-333-2496

Find us on Facebook
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 73059
IMPORTANT INFORMATION! TWRA is planning on closing AETNA MARCH 12. This is not a rumor, it is real! OPEN RIDE @ WeRock JANUARY 28th gate opens @ 10:00am FREE to EVERYONE! There will be a petition to sign there to keep AETNA OPEN to ATV riders and not just Deer Hunters! Bring everyone you know! We can make a difference and now it the time prove it @ the WeRock Gate January 28th!

Last edited by Rockhales; 01-21-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #64 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhales View Post
IMPORTANT INFORMATION! TWRA is planning on closing AETNA MARCH 12. This is not a rumor, it is real! OPEN RIDE @ WeRock JANUARY 28th gate opens @ 10:00am FREE to EVERYONE! There will be a petition to sign there to keep AETNA OPEN to ATV riders and not just Deer Hunters! Bring everyone you know! We can make a difference and now it the time prove it @ the WeRock Gate January 28th!
You need to post up an address and directions if you want people to show up.
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 73059
Quote:
Originally Posted by GubNi View Post
You need to post up an address and directions if you want people to show up.
That would help and Im sorry, just got the news a few mins ago and my brain hurts

But it's 299 pulltight road whiteside Tn.

http://werockaetna.com/home

The address at the bottom of website is for the office, gate is at above addy

Last edited by Rockhales; 01-21-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 138561
Update: Twra closing aetna

We need 50,000 signatures to keep Aetna Mtn open. If you go to this link you can sign the petition online. When you do this is will be sent straight to TWRA. Please forward this to any and everyone you can . Thank you

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/kee...ain-tennessee/

Last edited by 95.5 TACO; 01-22-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
95.5 TACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 50585
Done

Done
Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #68 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
How is TWRA closing the road?

How is signing an online petition supposed to keep them from taking this action?
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 138561
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post

How is signing an online petition supposed to keep them from taking this action?
TWRA has put the petition to see how many people are against the closing of Aetna Mountain. Because when you go to the site, sign the petition, a message will pop up telling you that your signature has been delivered to TWRA Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency. They own the main access property that you ride to get up there. There has been probelms with trying to shut down the public access road since a high end subdivision was developed so that they can have their gated community and shut down the mtn. Its mighty funny how last year there was the same issue but now due to the influence of those developers now the TWRA is trying to shut it down to the public and it is the only local place for us to ride
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 138561
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy jones View Post
Done
Thank you
Old 01-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #71 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Over 850 signatures. You need to start a new thread
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 55014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post

How does the goverment do a lot of shit they do?

How does not signing it help?
WarEagleToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 168529
Quote:
Originally Posted by GubNi View Post
Over 850 signatures. You need to start a new thread

New thread started. thanks for the support.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 120361
are there any updates on this situation?
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #75 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
I am on it. Spoke with Christine this morning.

Need to get more info still and call a few people that are more in the know about state closures..

Appaerntly they just dropped this on everyone.

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote