Another Oregon Sheriff Defies the Feds!!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Land Use Issues
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Another Oregon Sheriff Defies the Feds!!!

Sheriff Gilbert in Josephine County indicated that he intends to rally the support of not only other Oregon Sheriffs, but also several in Northern California and hopes to organize a meeting with his counterparts to address the issues in the near future.

Two Articles cover the stories of both Oregon Sheriffs who are questioning the authority of the Federal LEO's in their Counties:

http://www.newswithviews.com/NWV-News/news260.htm

Quote:
OREGON SHERIFF STANDS UP AGAINST THE U.S. FOREST SERVICE

By Sarah Foster
Posted 1:00 AM Eastern
July 2, 2011
© 2011 NewsWithViews.com

Josephine County, Oregon -When Gil Gilbertson was sworn is as Sheriff of Josephine County, a rural county in southwest Oregon, in 2007, he had 30 years of law enforcement experience behind him, both in the United States and with various military missions overseas.

So when citizens of the county began coming to him complaining of “harassment” by U.S. Forest Service law enforcement officers (LEO), he said he’d investigate their concerns, figuring he could work things out with the local ranger district. After all, as the county’s chief law enforcement officer he was in the “club” and moreover had gotten along with the “feds” -- though he disagreed with their road closing policies and other efforts to keep the public off public lands which cover 68 percent of the rural county.

“You know, until about a year ago this wasn’t even on my radar,” Gilbertson told NewsWithViews. “It was the miners that were coming to me saying they were being harassed. I said I’d look into it.”

He contacted the local ranger district for information, but instead of answers he was bluntly told that No, they couldn’t, wouldn’t discuss anything about any complaints with him, but he could file a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request and they’d get back to him.

“Go Pound Sand”

As talk-radio host Bib Meyer [of KMED] put it in an interview with Gilbertson, the Forest Service had essentially told the sheriff to “go pound sand.” Federal agencies are notorious for taking months and years to answer FOIAs Meyer said.

“I’m not going to file any FOIA,” Gilbertson told Meyer. “I think that they’re obligated to impart that information to me.”

On May 5, Gilbertson sent a blistering letter to the District Ranger of the Wild Rivers Ranger District in Caves Junction, setting down in no uncertain terms his objections not only to the Forest Service response to his requests for information but his dissatisfaction with USFS policies.

“Frankly, I was somewhat taken aback by your legal department’s position advising you to not discuss issues with me,” he wrote, adding he was “aghast” at the refusal to provide information without a FOIA “to find out what your agency is doing in regards to the citizens of this county.” He continued:

As the CLEO [chief law enforcement officer] of this county, elected by the citizens, saddled with the expectation and responsibility to safeguard their rights, I fully intend to uphold the laws against any threat, inappropriate or unlawful actions against them.

The issues of illegal road closures, grazing, logging, minerals, taking land under the auspices of ‘Monument’ status, citizen complaints against your LEO agents, high unemployment and other socio-economic issues we all face today; coupled with the uncooperative nature presented by the USFS are causing me great concern about our relationship and future cooperation.

The following day he released the contents of the letter to the public at a meeting of the South West Oregon Mining Association, which posted it on their website. He explained he’d been discussing the issue and sharing information with Sheriff Glenn Palmer of Grant County, Ore., who sent a similar letter [dated March 31] to Teresa Raaf, supervisor of Malheur National Forest.

In his letter Sheriff Palmer questioned the USFS's authority to engage in law enforcement within Grant county, declaring: "your jurisdiction as I see it is limited to the Federal Building in John Day" [the county seat]; and that the presence of USFS "Law Enforcement" violates Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution.

“Within the confines of Grant County, Oregon, the duties and responsibility of law enforcement will rest with the County Sheriff and his designees,” he wrote.

Palmer’s letter was apparently prompted by Forest Service attempts to pressure him into signing a "co-operative policing agreement" that would allow the agency to engage in law enforcement activities inside the lines of Grant County.

Palmer said that in the near future, he’ll be raising other issues about USFS's activities in Grant County, including its recent treatment of the local citizenry, illegal road closures, grazing, logging and other concerns that he and his community have. He also expressed concern about the way Forest Service LEOs had treated “treated citizens of this county in Oct. and Nov., 2010,” but deferred giving details until a later time.

Drawing the Line

Sheriffs Gilbertson and Palmer have crossed personal Rubicons to join a growing cadre of sheriffs in western states who are drawing the line against federal agencies like the Forest Service.

For instance, Sheriff Greg Hagwood, of Plumas County in northern California, has publicly stated he will not enforce federal regulations laid down by the Forest Service that demand road closures and restrict vehicle access to the land.

Asked if he agreed with Hagwood, Gilbertson said he was not familiar with Hagwood’s action, but agreed with him and pointed to the famous case of Prinz v. United States (1997).

“The Supreme Court ruled that the federal government cannot force us [local law enforcement] to enforce federal regs, rules or laws,” he said. “They can’t force sheriffs to do that. The sheriff is the highest law enforcement official for that county. My understanding is that there is no other authority that supersedes the sheriff’s office for that county.”

Gilbertson said that he had recently signed a cooperative policing agreement with the Forest Service, “but I will rescind it immediately if I determine that it was a mistake,” he promised.

Since his letter was released Gilbertson has appeared on various talk shows, where he discusses the issues that affect not only Josephine County but the entire country.

Meanwhile, at a meeting of the Oregon State Sheriffs’ Association, Gilbertson agreed to head a committee to research the many questions that have arisen regarding federal jurisdiction and the limits – if any -- to federal authority.

“We’re checking to see if things are being done appropriately according to the U.S. Constitution and the laws that govern all this,” said Gilbertson. “So it’s a process right now that we’re in the research phase. … I’m looking at doing all the research before I make a final decision.

Gilbertson also explained that for him the road-closing issue is a safety issue. “If I need to go Search-and-Rescue, or if I need to go look for crime or marijuana grows, I don’t need those roads closed; I need them open so I can get to them.

“You’re not supposed to take any vehicles onto certain federal lands. But guess what. If I’ve got somebody missing, if I need to take a helicopter in I will. That’s my authority as a sheriff and I’m not going to let anyone stand my way to protect the people of this county.”

Gilbertson pointed specifically of the “Biscuit Fire” in July 2002, which burned nearly 500,000 acres of Siskiyou National Forest and much of the Kalmiopsis Wilderness.

“They had a big tanker loaded with chemicals ready to go, but were told not to dump because it was on a wilderness area,” said Gilbertson bitterly. “Had they been allowed to dump they would have suppressed the fire right there. The same thing is happening in Arizona right now,” he added. “It’s nonsense.”

“They’ve let these forests grow so you have all this fuel that burns and just goes crazy. If they would go in and thin it out – that’s good stewardship. But they’ve gone from being good stewards to being over-lords that think they have unlimited authority.”

Contact Sheriff Gil Gilbertson.
http://www.miningrights.org/legal-ne...nges-USFS.html

Quote:
Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilbertson Questions The Authority of USFS

On May 5th, 2011, Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilbertson issued a letter to the United States Forest Service similar to the one recently issued by Sheriff Palmer of Grant County, Oregon. In his letter, Gilbertson expressed utter disbelief that USFS told him to submit a FOIA request if he wanted any information pertaining to a recent legal complaint he (Gilbertson) received from a local miner and SWOMA member regarding long standing harassment and other issues by USFS. The letter is the latest of several official correspondences between Gilbertson and the USFS after he had studied a copy of an executive summary titled "The Mining Law: The Extent of Federal Authority Over Public Domain", which was authored by the leadership of the South West Oregon Mining Association (SWOMA).

In his most recent letter, Gilbertson throws down the gauntlet, stating in part "As the CLEO of this county, elected by the citizens, saddled with the expectation and responsibility to safeguard their rights, I fully intend to uphold the laws against any threat, inappropriate or unlawful actions against them."

He goes on to say that "the issues of illegal road closures, grazing, logging, minerals, taking land under the auspices of "Monument" status, citizen complaints against (USFS) LEO agents, high unemployment and other socioeconomic issues we all face today; coupled with the uncooperative nature presented by USFS are causing me great concern".

Read the entirety of Sheriff Gilbertson's letter to USFS

Speaking at a meeting of the South West Oregon Mining Association at Pottsville near Merlin, Oregon on May 6th, 2011, Gilbertson made the contents of his recent letter public and mentioned that he had been discussing this issue and sharing information with Sheriff Palmer of Grant County. He also indicated that he was also rallying the support of not only other Oregon Sheriffs, but also several in Northern California and hopes to organize a roundtable meeting with his counterparts to address these issues in the near future.

We would like to encourage miners living elsewhere to submit a copy of "The Mining Law: The Extent of Federal Authority Over Public Domain" to their own county sheriff and to encourage them to join Sheriff Gilbertson in his stand for local sovereignty, property rights, local economy and other issues.

SWOMA's officers and membership would like to thank Sheriff Gilbertson for his courage and continued commitment to protecting the rights of those he represents.

Please take the time to write to Sheriff Gilbertson to show your support for his position on these matters.

Sheriff Gilbertson
601 NW 5th Street
Grants Pass, OR 97526
e-mail: jocosheriff@co.josephine.or.us
Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 163994
Thanks for the link! Harder and harder to find good news these days!
Ted22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
:like:

There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload"
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Great stuff!

Quote:
Sheriff Gilbert in Josephine County indicated that he intends to rally the support of not only other Oregon Sheriffs, but also several in Northern California and hopes to organize a meeting with his counterparts to address the issues in the near future.
This guy is more than just a maverick, he's a LEADER.

Quote:
Palmer’s letter was apparently prompted by Forest Service attempts to pressure him into signing a "co-operative policing agreement" that would allow the agency to engage in law enforcement activities inside the lines of Grant County.
Most Counties with USFS and/or BLM lands have this letter in place... now would be a great time for them to rescind it or threaten to do so, if Smokey the Bear's jack-booted thuggery continues...

Quote:
Gilbertson also explained that for him the road-closing issue is a safety issue. “If I need to go Search-and-Rescue, or if I need to go look for crime or marijuana grows, I don’t need those roads closed; I need them open so I can get to them.
This is a HUGE issue many of us pushed during Route Designation -- roads allow access for law enforcement, rescue, and fire control, and let's go one step further and underline that Wilderness Areas specifically outlaw motorized support of these functions. No helicopters for the sheriff to chase down pot-growers; no snowmobiles for Search and Rescue to save errant skiers; and no chainsaws, enginers, or air tankers for the fire service to effectively fight the fires where near-sighted resource mismanagement have created hundreds of thousands of acres of tinderbox waiting for a spark.

I'll be writing a letter to Sheriff Gil Gilbertson -- will you?

Sheriff Gilbertson
601 NW 5th Street
Grants Pass, OR 97526
e-mail: jocosheriff@co.josephine.or.us
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Post Letter Sent - Next Up???

Sheriff Gilbertson
601 NW 5th Street
Grants Pass, OR 97526

Honorable Sheriff Gilbertson,

I am writing you today to express gratitude for and support of the letter you recently sent to the local U.S. Forest Service (USFS) District Ranger of the Wild Rivers Ranger District in Caves Junction and your efforts to protect the rights of citizens you serve as Sheriff of Josephine County.

Many citizens across the Nation share your concerns regarding the increasingly more restrictive and at times unreasonable practices of USFS Law Enforcement Officers and our Federal Government, targeted at users of our public lands.

Our family, friends and other members of the Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) community who enjoy recreating on the Public Lands of our great Nation have been the focus of countless Federal Legislative and special interest group driven efforts aimed at preventing us from using the land.

These lands were set aside by Congress for all members of society as a “multiple-use sustained-yield” resource to be used in a responsible manner where no one use was to be held higher than any others.

Collaborating with Sheriff Glenn Palmer of Grant County, other Sheriffs in Oregon and Northern California in defense of constitutional rights held by the citizens in your jurisdictions is a noble effort and sends the message to our Federal Government that it must operate as intended, with the explicit duty to protect an individual’s rights and freedoms.

Thank you for your efforts!

Sincerely,

[My Crap Went Here]
LYIN' KING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
I sent a letter of appreciation to the Sheriff too.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
BLR

Member # 188783
Sent my letter in support of Sheriff Gilbertson, we need more like him..
BLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
I will write a letter, too.

Any of you guys consider CC:ing your own county Sheriffs?
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

Mine is too cash strapped, short staffed and busy busting meth labs/pot plantations to take on enforcement of OHV regulation in the huge multiple NFS systems within my County, many of which have suffered major closures.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 62884
Quote:

already sent it to my County Board of Supervisors as well as the Sheriff for Eldorado County.

Last edited by WLDWUN; 07-07-2011 at 01:32 PM.
WLDWUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYIN' KING View Post
Mine is too cash strapped, short staffed and busy busting meth labs/pot plantations to take on enforcement of OHV regulation in the huge multiple NFS systems within my County, many of which have suffered major closures.
Not insinuating that any of them take a new lead--just letting them know there are others out there in their positions, and it would take relatively little time to simply not sign any subsequent cooperative policing agreements.

Any of said meth labs and pot plantations on USFS land that concern him?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Quote:
Not insinuating that any of them take a new lead--just letting them know there are others out there in their positions, and it would take relatively little time to simply not sign any subsequent cooperative policing agreements.

Any of said meth labs and pot plantations on USFS land that concern him?
No insinuation assumed. It would present a big enviro piss off here if he failed to sign subsequent cooperative policing agreements without taking up the slack.

There's as much or more drug manufacturing talking place on private lands as in NFS, BLM and timber company owned lands (hell, they could be growing on my private property) but since they've recently locked up a majority of the NFS and timber company owned areas that may change due to a lack of public presence in these areas.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYIN' KING View Post
No insinuation assumed. It would present a big enviro piss off here if he failed to sign subsequent cooperative policing agreements without taking up the slack.
Oh!

Then send him a copy with a post-it note on the front that says, "I realize you're swamped with the drug issues in this county. I'll keep you posted as things develop in these other counties".

Edit: And I've posted 3x in this thread and not taken the time to actually pen my own letter to Sheriff Gilbertson.

Last edited by MT4Runner; 07-07-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3975
Quote:
Oh!

Then send him a copy with a post-it note on the front that says, "I realize you're swamped with the drug issues in this county. I'll keep you posted as things develop in these other counties".

Edit: And I've posted 3x in this thread and not taken the time to actually pen my own letter to Sheriff Gilbertson.
Thanks, yes I've considered much of this but am awaiting responses from several local papers to my inquiries as to whether they'd be willing to run the article . . . power in number rules!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Sheriff Gilbertson Writes a Research Document

Unraveling Federal Jurisdiction

Quote:
OREGON SHERIFF GIL GILBERTSON CONTINUES STAND AGAINST U.S. FOREST SERVICE

By Sarah Foster
Posted 1:00 AM Eastern
November 23, 2011
© 2011 NewsWithViews.com

Josephine County, Ore. -- Two months ago Gil Gilbertson, the sheriff of this rural county in southern Oregon, drafted a 10-page report exploring the origins and extent of federal power within a state and emailed his findings to various parties, asking for comment.

Since the report was in rough-draft form he was somewhat surprised that it went viral, but it shows there are a lot of people hungry for information about how much power (particularly law-enforcement power) the federal government actually wields within a state, where that power comes from, and the limits to that power.

Gilbertson continued his research and recently completed a 13-page revised and updated version, retitled: Unraveling Federal Jurisdiction within a State. It is highly footnoted with references to statutes and court decisions.

This a “must read” for anyone concerned about infringements against the 10th Amendment and federal encroachments in general – like road closures, Wild Lands and Monument designations, mining and other resource uses. In other words, this is for anyone and everybody with an interest – no matter how casual -- in accessing the public lands, either as a “resource user” (a rancher or miner) or simply a casual vacationer who enjoys weekend camping.

“If you’d told me two years ago that I would be writing such a document, I would have probably walked away from you shaking my head,” the sheriff notes in the introduction.

“This paper is a result of a clash with the federal [U.S. Forest Service] law enforcement in this county, from citizens complaining of what can only be described as harassment and violations of their rights,” he explains. “The first time I approached the USFS the door closed regarding any discussion. The USFS advised me to file a Freedom of Information (FOI) request. “

Eventually Gilbertson was able to discuss the issue with the Forest Service. “Most of my questions were answered except for one: Where does the USFS’s authority come from? (bold-face in original). The answer(s) were surprising.”

Finding the answer is one of five tasks he set himself, which he lists as follows:

1. Identify true jurisdictional authority of the Federal Government
2. Examine and expose how the reserved powers of the States are usurped by federal agencies writing and enforcing their self-imposed codes and regulations
3. Examine how the health, safety, and welfare of the Citizens within the State are undermined
4. Provide a positive and equitable solution
5. Coordinate with like-minded Sheriffs to take a formal stance on these issues.

Mission Creep

To sum up his conclusions regarding federal authority in a very small nutshell: the original idea was for the federal government to hold public lands within a state in trust, with the intention being for eventual disposal. Gilbertson writes:

“The public lands (out West) were considered by many as the ‘problem lands.’ However, the approved procedure, since the passage of the Resolutions of October 1780, was that the central government held the lands in trust. Upon a state being admitted to the Union, the federal government had the trust authority and obligation to dispose of the lands for expansion, exploration, occupancy, and production by setters.

“Slowly, over the years many of these ‘public lands’ held in trust seemingly became more desirable to retain, rather than for disposal. Newly formed federal regulatory agencies worked their way into existence, each taking an increasingly expanding role (enter ‘mission creep’). By 1976 complete and total disregard for the trust obligation to dispose of public land was made clear in the Federal Lands Policy and Management Act (FLPMA), which states: ‘…that it is the policy of the United States that the public lands be retained in Federal ownership.’”

Sheriff Gilbertson talked with NWV about his report, expanding on his views about the division of power between federal and state governments.

[Book predicts the safest place in America to ride out the coming apocalypse is Josephine County, Oregon]

He strongly questions the legality and constitutionality of executive orders and various regulations, as well as laws like FLPMA, observing that Congress has the sole authority to make law, not the president, not the agencies. Not surprisingly he takes sharp issue with President Obama who has declared he’ll “circumvent the Constitution” through the use of executive orders.

“The Constitution is clear on who has police and legislative powers. Those executive orders are not law,” said Gilbertson.

And while FLPMA is a congressionally passed statute, it delegates undue powers to the agencies. “Congress cannot give an agency the ability to write rules and regulations and enforce them as if they were law,” he said. “Congress has to do that. These agencies write their own rules and regulations as they go along and enforce these as law.”

“The big issue, as I see it,” he continued, “is that all these things combine. You have DEQ, EPA, all these federal entities. And as all these federal agencies evolved over the years, there’s been mission creep. They decided, well, we need to fix this; this gives us more powers, and so forth, so we’ll just write down more rules and regulations. They were allowed to get away with it for whatever reason, and now they enforce those as laws. But it’s clearly stated that that can’t be done -- I spelled that out in my document,” he said.

Moreover, “Forest reserves were not federal enclaves subject to the doctrine of exclusive legislative jurisdiction of the United States. Local peace officers were to exercise civil and criminal process over these lands. Forest Service rangers were not law enforcement officers unless designated as such by state authority.”

The federal government sees it otherwise, so in addition to expanding claims for general regulatory power agencies like the Forest Service are attempting to extend the reach of law enforcement authority – a matter that adds to Gilbertson’s concerns.

“The U.S. Forest Service and BLM are really stepping outside their authority in that the Constitution does not give them that,” he observed. “The Tenth Amendment clearly reserves police rights to the states.”

Law Enforcement Power Grab

Sheriffs in other counties have taken note of this development. In his report Gilbertson refers to a one-page position paper by the Western States Sheriffs’ Association that concurs with his observations, and in fact grew from his earlier one. He writes, quoting from the WSSA statement:

“The USFS recently sent out a communication dated July 15, 2011, titled Federal Register publication of Final Proposed Rules [Title 36] 262, 261, and 212 purportedly to clarify and expand their authority.

On Sept. 21, the Western States Sheriffs Association responded with a position paper to this USFS publication by writing: “The membership of the Western States Sheriffs Association has reviewed the proposed rule changes and believes they exhibit the following: (1) an absolute disregard for the sovereignty of the individual States, (2) a disregard for the authority of the Office of Sheriff, and (3) A continued inability of the Forest Service to understand the mission and function of its Law Enforcement component."

Additionally, “This effort is viewed as an unnecessary and unauthorized expansion of federal police powers. The ultimate legal and constitutional authority for the protection of the public and the land within an individual county is vested in the Office of Sheriff. The Roles and responsibilities for the Office of Sheriff are well enumerated within the laws of each State, and the Sheriff possesses the authority to extend enforcement powers as appropriate.

“It is the position of this committee that the membership of the Western States Sheriffs’ Association utilizes all appropriate methods and resources to oppose this effort.”

Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations deals with the U.S. Forest Service. Section 212 is about Travel Management within the national forests.

NWV contacted Dave Brown, Sheriff of Skamania County, Wash., for additional information. Sheriff Brown is the chair of the Public Lands Committee of the WSSA that drafted the Position Paper. He said he hoped to have it adopted by the association at its annual meeting.

“It has not been adopted, but my hope is that it will be at our spring conference next March when it’s presented to the entire membership,” Brown said.

Brown said his committee relied for background on the first report Gilbertson sent out in mid-September. His further observations to NWV were particularly chilling.

“Essentially they are nationalizing their ability to do law enforcement. Right now the ability for them to enforce is based on … rules that are made at the district ranger’s office or the forest supervisor’s office,” he said. “They want to take that authority away from local rangers and forest supervisors and basically put it into their back pocket to do consistent enforcement nationally.”

A National Police Force in the Making

And this is about more than simply the road closures which are going on in all the national forests. As Brown sees it, these new provisions spell the way to a national police force. The new rules will give the federal law enforcement the authority to enforce state laws on county roads across national forest land and on roads outside the national forests.

Asked if they’d be enforcing all laws and ordinances on land outside the national forests, Brown said, “no – They would essentially be enforcing those state traffic laws that we would currently enforce and some drug enforcement laws, abandoned property issues, things like that.” “Most people don’t follow this or pay attention to it, but if we don’t [the federal government] will have everything they want to basically create a national police force,” he said.

Which is why the proposal has created a “firestorm” among western sheriffs. “We recognize it as them kicking us in the face and saying, ‘We don’t really care about you being the sheriff: we are going to give ourselves this authority,’” Brown said.

Corralling Runaway Government

The question for concerned Americans is how to stop the train, something easier said than done, though not necessarily impossible. “The real solution is to encourage Congress to comply with, and enforce the Constitution with the intent and guidance as written,” Gilbertson writes. “The PEOPLE vested the authority in Congress to accomplish this task. Put law enforcement aback where it belongs, within the several states. “It is my hope this letter [report] will serve as an awakening to the public and for elected officials to exercise the proper conduct to stop this runaway government. It is also my hope that Sheriffs throughout the United States will join to bring our Republic form of government back to the people.”

NOTE: Josephine County is on the California-Oregon state line across from Siskiyou County, a county that ranchers, farmers, miners and their allies are calling “ground zero” in the intensifying battle over land use and access to public lands. Siskiyou County is where the federal government, in lockstep with local environmentalists, seeks to remove three clean hydro-power dams on the Klamath River – an action that will wipe out what’s left of the once vibrant ranching and farming communities. A fourth dam, in Klamath County, Ore., is also slated for demolition.

On Oct. 22, eight brave sheriffs – seven from northern California and one from central Oregon -- put their careers in law enforcement on the line by addressing an audience of nearly 1,000 people at a rally in Yreka, the county seat of Siskiyou County. The event was sponsored by Support Rural America and other groups; the panel was introduced and chaired by Jon Lopey, Sheriff of Siskiyou County.

“By their testimony these fine sheriffs’ verbally documented the assault on sovereignty and the abridgement of individual rights … that they have personally witnessed,” says retired Sheriff Jim R. Schwiesow in a recent NewsWithViews column.

Sheriff Gilbertson was not among the eight panelists. He and his wife had made vacation plans and reservations over a year ago and it was not possible to change these. But although not able to attend in person, his report on federal jurisdiction speaks eloquently for him.

The event was videotaped and posted at ConstitutionalSheriffs.com.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Displaced Hillbilly

Member # 42484
We need more cops like Sheriff Gilbertson. Glad to see he is standing up to the Feds. Just sent him a letter expressing my approval.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotasmob View Post
We need more cops like Sheriff Gilbertson. Glad to see he is standing up to the Feds. Just sent him a letter expressing my approval.
I think the first thing we need to do is get rid of Sheriff Royal

The Moral of the Story - if you live in a Western State, and your Elected County Sheriff is not a part of this action - VOTE THEM OUT!! Get one who will!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Great video by Sheriff Mack

Sheriff Mack: Nullify we Must, and Nullify we Will! - YouTube
Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Displaced Hillbilly

Member # 42484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
I think the first thing we need to do is get rid of Sheriff Royal

The Moral of the Story - if you live in a Western State, and your Elected County Sheriff is not a part of this action - VOTE THEM OUT!! Get one who will!!!
Thats for sure. I have been trying to get his ass out of Nevada County since I was old enough to vote.

Last edited by yotasmob; 11-28-2011 at 10:45 PM.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 148059
Why did he finally cave, and make a deal with the Feds? I don't care how innocent it sounds, he shouldn't give them any power in his jurisdiction.
Stonebone is offline   Reply With Quote