Took the Mog out in the snow to play - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2002, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
Took the Mog out in the snow to play

Not that big a deal. Just a parking lot like a thrilled teen ager. I have a twin stick on this tranny/tcase/diff. locker. Was not sure how it worked. I found that the lower lever when pulled up gives me 4wd. one more click and I think it locks the rear diff. The top lever sits atop the lower lever. So it raises along with the bottom one. I think this one has another notch back further than the lower one that engages the front diff. Hard to tell.

Anyone else got a twin sticked Mog?

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 349
I drove a friend's, and I think it was setup with one lever for the gear (6 possible), one for low or high range, and another for forward and reverse. I forget which model it was, it had a 4cyl diesel, full pto, full hydraulics, lockers, huge PTO winch, etc etc. He has a bunch of implements for it too. I have a pic, need to find the cable for my camera......
VT_Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2002, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
Levers

The center between my seats looks like there is a small dead bush with little trunks sprouting from the floorboard in every direction. Well actually in 7 directions. I have 7 levers. All work via mechanical man handling. Stock there is only 4 levers; 5 w/ PTO.

Stick 1. Gearshift - H pattern (four low gears and four high gears available... not stock for a Mog 404 where six gears is normal

Stick 2. High range/Low range selector. This is a non stock item. It is used in 4wd or 2wd, Must stop to shift. This stick dictates what 4 gears stick # 1 selects inside the tranny.

This tranny lever retrofit is uncommon. It is called a 2x4 shifter plate. It adds two gears to the middle of the shift range. Without it, you have the stock 6 fwd gears and 2 rev.

This is not an overdrive. There are actually 8 gears but you can only use them in 2 sets of four gears (4 lows and 4 highs) with no moving from one of the sets to the other without stopping.

The LOW set are "great granny gears". The HIGH set starts at a "Young Granny Gear" and moves up to a slow poke 1:1 high gear.

Stick 3. Fwd and reverse selector. Note: Rev. only works in Low range via stick # 2. The 4 low gears are selectable via stick # 1 when in reverse. The stock tranny without the 2x4 shifter plate gives you only 2 reverse gears.. using the lowest two gears in the tranny.

Stick 4. PTO On or off

Stick 5. Parking brake

Stick 6. 4wd selector, 3 positions. 2wd, 4wd, 4wd and one mechanical diff. locked. In stock arrangement this stick would activate both front and rear mechanical diff. locks in the last postion of the lever, instead of just one

Stick 7. Looks just like # 6 and activates the other diff. lock. These two are mounted atop of each other. This also is an uncommon set up.

My uncommon set ups are cause the previous owner set it up with the ultimate gizmos before I bought it. Wish he took as good care of the body as well as he did the mechanicals.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]

Last edited by coachgeo; 12-27-2002 at 01:00 PM.
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote