Opinions on raidus/trailing arms with Mog axles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 48020
Opinions on raidus/trailing arms with Mog axles

Planning on swapping 404's under my Montero, I was thinking about making radius arms similar to the stock setup (much like the G-wagen stock suspension) but using 2x2x1/4 tubing and 3 creeper joints per arm. Are any of you guys running radius arms on mog axles? Is there anything i should know before I get into this? I've done axle swaps before but only with conventional axles so i'm learning something new here. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13683
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit!

Radius arms work fine on portals.

Last edited by Puffdragon; 02-23-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Puffdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48020
I figured radius arms would be a good choice for portal axles since these axles have more leverage over the suspension. I know they won't flex as good as other link setups but i don't really have room under the truck for a bunch of links.
On the plus side i found 2 trucks running radius arms and portals, one is a 80 series Landcruiser which is about the same size and weight as the Montero and the other is a 2 door Gelandewagen. I think i'm about sold on the idea, need to go measure my friend's 404 axles and make templates to start drawing the brackets.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 26821
I thought round tube not the best material shape to build RA's from
uninformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 100758
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyninja View Post
using 2x2x1/4 tubing
Quote:
Originally Posted by uninformed View Post
I thought round tube not the best material shape to build RA's from
Seems to me that he's talkin square tube.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 80653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyninja View Post
3 creeper joints per arm.
Pretty sure, at least one of your joints, on each arm, has to have some give or your suspension will bind and you will limit travel or break stuff.
BenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 48020
Gotten some pretty good info here through Pm's. Looking more toward rubber bush at the axle side and everyone agrees on about "12 of bush separation to have the proper leverage over the axles and keeping the arms flat as possible. I also found a set of 404's locally for $1800, plan to pick those up this summer.
Right now i'm reading up on using the link calculator do radius arms, Also searching for good examples of other mog axle swaps that have been run through a link calculator.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 48020
Ben, I just book marked your build! thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 110069
You know... if you do a "broken wrist" on one side, you can still get a lot of flex from this setup.
Public_AenimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 48020
Here's what i've got on the stock trailing arms with i think 9" or 10" shocks, can't remember because it's been a while. Took these pics when we measured for shocks, for the record i had nothing to do with that ramp i think my friend found it in an alley

And hardly any flex with the IFS

The body is sitting at less than 10 degrees

New longer radius arms front and rear should be a pretty serious improvement.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 48020
My current arms are 3' long with 7" of bush separation, The shocks are really squeezed in there. I can't fit much more shock without cutting holes in my floor, I'm not opposed to cutting but it's hard enough as it is to fit weeks worth of gear in the truck.

Last edited by sneakyninja; 04-10-2012 at 10:57 AM.
sneakyninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 214516
Hey you can use the x link pattent, you use the standard RA set up but the front bushes are connected horizontaly with a solid bar and pivot on a shaft welded to the center of the axle(not the best description to understand how it works but if you google it, you will find lots of info), I did that on the front end of my LR with Nissan patrol axles and worked great the only down side is the excess body roll while cornering on the street. There is an option to make a locking mechanism for street driving if you are bothered by the body roll. I had 15 inch procomps and where bottoming out!

Needless to say, I went to 3 link front after a while and the rig is flexing better, it doesn't feel so stiff as it did with the modified RA. I can post some shots of the parts as I don't have any of the system while on the rig.
vIdEo'sGarrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 214516
Also, if you go for standard RA you can slash the bushes (bottom and top of the bush) so the bolts can move more freely in the bushes, is a slight improvement over a solid bush. Don't use a polybush because it has the tendency to break and shear, standard rubber bushes are better for this job.

Last edited by vIdEo'sGarrage; 04-13-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 48020
I have seen the X link setups on Outerlimits4x4, pretty cool i think. There is always the possibility of a front 3 link as i am just in the planning stages here but we'll see how a 3 link fits ES_97Sport's montero. I'd like to keep the truck as low as possible and i don't have much room on the under side so i'd probably be looking at more lift in order to fit everything.

Do you have pics of your 3 link setup? or a link to your build? I've been bookmarking everyones builds and reading through one by one

Last edited by sneakyninja; 04-13-2012 at 01:14 PM.
sneakyninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 22506
The long pinion running almost directly under the engine oil pan will be the big challenge.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 214516
I do have a link but that's just a buggy with mog axles, I can take a few shots of the RA and the parts and pm them. But never took any shots when rolled the rig.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 48020
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor View Post
The long pinion running almost directly under the engine oil pan will be the big challenge.
My oil pan hangs 2 maybe 3 inches lower than the bottom of my frame, I think the axle itself will have plenty of room for movement but if i have any upper links i will likely need more lift. I'm going to take my son to a warbird museum today and i have a friend that lives on that side of town with a spare front 404 axle for his mog. Hopefully he's home and i can take some measurements so i can get a better idea of how it's going to fit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIdEo'sGarrage View Post
I do have a link but that's just a buggy with mog axles, I can take a few shots of the RA and the parts and pm them. But never took any shots when rolled the rig.
That's cool, so you had a Landrover with Landcruiser RA's and portal axles or were they just standard axles? sorry if i missed that.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 214516
NO No!!! Land Rovers use RA on the front so the Nissan patrols, its an almost perfect fit, Nissans RA on the LR chasis mounts with no mods same lenght and distance apart, identicle bushes etc, and is the best axle upgrade you can do with standard factory axles, no portals though but stronger than anything you find on a light truck. Ok, thats out of topic!!! I will try to take a few shots of the parts but next week because we are on Easter vic. right now, Oh i am from Cyprus by the way.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 214516
http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/...iDeO_sGarrage/ Thats where you can get a look of my other project, a mog axled buggy. I will post the pictures of the custom made x link as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 48020
Awesome Pics! Bookmarked your build thread too, Thanks.

One thing i noticed, the dude in one of your pics looked familiar. Took me a little but but for some reason i dug up the Outerlimits4x4 hall of shame thread.

Some kind of resemblance there, Brothers? Same guy? Feel free to tell me i am an idiot.