holley projection mog - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2003, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13683
holley projection mog

Ok, so alot of people dont like the holley projection, but I have had only good luck with these systems, and I feel that alot of people's problems stem from not understanding how they work, and how to fit them to there application, so with that in mind, why would this unit not work on an M180, and or, is there a better solution.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...FI/501-12.html

I cant find pricing on this unit, but I would think it is cheaper than the 2dbl's I have bought in the past.

So, flame away guys.

Application
258 CID, M/T, Carter BBD 2 barrel carburetor

Features
A complete "stand-alone " system
Polished die cast aluminum throttle body
New digital ECU software is much improved over old analog system
Digital ECU is user-adjustable for:
......Idle
......Accelerator pump
......Main system
......High RPM
......Choke
Single 90 pph injector provides for all fuel requirements
Wiring harnesses are assembled with high quality connectors to provide for "plug-in " installation and protection from the elements
Fast idle solenoid is included
Uses factory air cleaner assembly
Installed height is no taller than stock Carter 2-barrel carburetor
Closed loop kit (P/N 534-54) is available for non-air-pump-equipped vehicles to further enhance driveability at all altitudes

Last edited by Puffdragon; 03-18-2003 at 06:41 PM.
Puffdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13683
Come awn, I know someone here has something to say. You could at least do me the honor of flaming me a bit, so i dont feel left out. I just wanted to PLAY

Really, It could be a sweet setup if it worked.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
sorry didnt mean to spoil ur fun.

sounds good to me.... go for it.. what would be the swap problems.. manifold mostly right.. Any race engine builders around there want to make a nanifold for you?

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
unimogken

Member # 11745
I think the better route instead of a holley projection would be to either set the truck up as propane only or propane/gas.

The engine already has hardened valve seats and is just beggin for PROPANE. You wouldn't have to worry about off angle power loss due to the carb gettin starved for fuel.

If you're interested in propane Puffdragon lemme know and i'll try to dig up some links/pics I have saved on some back-up discs.

Later.

Ken S.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 13683
sure, i would love to check out the (in a HANK HILL voice)Propane.

But as for the swap problems, I think the only issue is if it delivers enough or to much fuel for the M180. As fro fitting the unit, I would machine out an adapter plate to convert to the Mog mainfold. I have also considered using a Jeep multi port injection, but that woudl be more of a hassle. The Holley projection has very few electronics. Its basically a glorified carb.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Some one did a fuel injection. I think I left a comment and name on who did in the Tech. FAQ's. They might have some insight for you. I dont know enough about fuel flow rates etc. to help you out on how workable this idea is. How adjustable is the FI carb you looking at?

Their is also info in the FAQ about propane.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]

Last edited by coachgeo; 03-21-2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 13683
I know i know, Rob Pickering has developed a fuel injection unit blah blah blah the unit also cost like $1800.00. That is a large percentage of what i paid for my MOG. I am looking at something that will be cheap and easy to use. And Hopefully, i can provide adapter kits to others if it works as planned. I am anticipating less than $1000, alot less than 1k for the complete setup. It should be bolt on to an extent, with a minimal of custom parts. The unit I showed is very tunable for what it is, and you can get new chips to make it jsut right for your engine. I have an E-mail into Holley, and should here back from them soon.

Oh, and this thread would just not be right if i didnt ask what the WMS to WMS is on a 404 axle.

I dont know, I appreciate the response's I have gotten, but man this forum needs to liven up a bit.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Quote:
Originally posted by Puffdragon
I dont know, I appreciate the response's I have gotten, but man this forum needs to liven up a bit.
Yeah I agree.... any ideas?

Old 03-23-2003, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13683
I ahve tried to invite others to the board, but the PBB has a bad rep in alot of worlds. The Mercedes board jsut does not have the activity the other guys want. To much crap on how to fit 404 axles under my honda civic. Now that the board has changed, maybe its time to re invite the others, and try to give them a warm welcome. It would be nice to recruite a Merc. Uni mechanic on board to help with serious tech questions.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2708
good suggstions. We do seem to be standing the test of time though. The other Mog boards that came up in the last year or so are not doing to well. PBB has three times the traffic.

I see more and more friendly Mog dealer/vendors in here and some folk that downright hate me from the mail list starting to poke their nose in here at times.

I really think we are picking up. To get the things livened up I've been thinkng on running a new picture post. Extreme 4x4's of the camping kind. "Mog Expedition Rigs"

What do u think?

Last edited by coachgeo; 03-23-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knee Grow

Member # 12575
are you wanting the FI for the off road manners or to get more HP

A friend of mine has a mog and he wanted to do this but all the reasearch I did said that you cant get a hole lot more power with just FI so I looked into a turbo/MPI set up and it looks like with about 11-12 lbs of boost the efective compression ratio would only be about 9.5-1 so the bottom end would live also 11-12lbs boost would give (if I remember right its been a while sisce I ran the numbers)arround 175HP any way the info is out there to do what you want (my buddy just didnt have the important part the money)but I also recall something about engines that have manifolds made for use of a carb dont do well with a tbi unit (dont hold me to it but like I said its been a long time) any way not trying to discourage you just offering a different point of view

and please forgive any speeling misteaks for I am stew pid
#5280ecec.com
jstarnes is offline   Reply With Quote