info on mog's in the USA, whats leagal? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2003, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jack stand racer

Member # 10381
info on mog's in the USA, whats leagal?

I have searched around the web and have not been able to get a clear understanding of what it takes to get a mog here, say a u-1450 doka or similar. Used of course. Any specal driverse licence requred? What about insurance? Any info would be helpfull.

Thanks Oiler
Old 03-21-2003, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
Simplified answer.

It has to be at least 25 years old to exempt by emission rules. If it is not you have to go thru loop loop loop loopholes and deep pockets to bring it into the country.

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) you should go thru an importer. If you have an eye on a particular Mog then have an importer bring it in for you. This is how I imported mine.

See the stickied thread on where to buy a Mog. Then call one of those listed there. They can import "a" particular Mog for you. Will save you shipping too cause it can come on the next boat they have coming in and share one of their containers.

Also if you dont need highway speed I know where a Better Than New 406 Doka is that is AWSOME. It is in the US and titled. It's show stopper quality but u will pay for show stopper quality too.

Insurance.. varies. I hear the owner of one of the Major Ins. companies owns a Mog. I cant remember which. Anyway.. I have heard folk from one quadrant of the country dropped by their insurance cause of the Mog but same Co. having no problem with in in another quadraint. I have Gieco. and have on it only what is required by law. There was no questions asked.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]

Last edited by coachgeo; 03-21-2003 at 08:21 AM.
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2003, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jack stand racer

Member # 10381
Thanks for the info Coachgeo. I have yet to even ride in on but I do like all the options( loder, blower, winch, ect.) I have been looking at lots of the threads in this section. My mog would have to be diesel and I would need it to go 65-70mph, no faster though. I have seen the fast axels and so on but I don't know what all fits were yet. I thought that fast axels with an axillary low box would work for me well. The u-1450 that I saw I liked because of the added interor space(over the 406). Any way, thanks agine, better go, I got more to read
Old 03-22-2003, 07:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12704
Quote:
Originally posted by coachgeo
Simplified answer.

It has to be at least 25 years old to exempt by emission rules. If it is not you have to go thru loop loop loop loopholes and deep pockets to bring it into the country.

Geo,

This info is totally incorrect. That's why so many people stay confused and misinformed.

The actual EPA cutoff for importation is 21 years in general and much less so for diesel engines. The EPA goes as far as listing specific vehicles and engines that are legally possible to import. The Unimog happens to be one of these vehicles.

The 25 year rule does apply to motor vehicles in the context of the USDOT. Again, there are specific listings of vehicles that are eligible for import as motor vehicles and there are others like the Unimog that are not always considered to be a motor vehicle.

You are correct in stating that it's a good idea to use a good Custom's Broker if you decide to import your own. It will be money well spent.

-EuroTruck

[URL=http://www.eurotruck-importers.com]www.eurotruck-importers.com[/URL]
EUROTRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
Thanks Sean!! for correcting my info.

21 years makes more sence to me. I wondered how some of the other Mogs had made it here that were not in the 25yr Range.

I have read thru some of the Government text and list of acceptable vehicles, though I was looking for Diesel Toyota's at the time. Mannnn aint government text so fun to decipher. Trust Sean in his agreement with me.... go with an importer. Sean at Eurotruck is a Great one as well as others. The inporter is an invaulable asset.

Sean.... Do you have a list of the Mogs that are acceptable by US codes etc that we can post here in our FAQ's? That would be a great asset, and it will keep my mouth out of trouble

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]

Last edited by coachgeo; 03-22-2003 at 12:07 PM.
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote