Power steering - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2003, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 17431
Power steering

Does anyone have information on power steering for a 404? I bought a used pump from a 406 but passed on the box because it was high dollar. I'm pretty sure the ford P/U steering setup (i.e. pittman arm rotation, front steer) is the same, and they use Saginaw boxes. I'm looking for any helpful advice.

Also, I have a bad "death wobble" problem at about 90km/h. Has anyone else had experience with that?
gregsmog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
the Guro on P. steering around here is "station" do a member search on him.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2003, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knee Grow

Member # 12575
there was a company that made a torque generator in line of the colum (sp)the only downfall I see is that it would put a lot of stress on the shaft between the box and T.G. you can check these guys out but you might have to call or order a catolog to find the right part clicky
#5280ecec.com
jstarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2708
International Loadstar

Forgot to mention this before.... The power steering setups folk put on manuel steering Mogs actually are not power steering. They are hydraulic assit steering . It use a torque generator or valve of some sort to determine how much the steering wheel has been turned and this valve accordingly sends hydrualic juice to a ram. This ram assist in the turning of the wheels.

Now with that in mind, what was once reccomened to me was to look into the early 60's International Loadstar big twucks.. as in dump twucks. These use to have hydraulic assit power steering. I'm guessing these worked under the same concept as the Torque generating ones that folk use on Mogs. Maybe some of the parts off of one of these would be usable for building a hydraulic assit.

With that said though.... since Stations prices are so good I would still contact him. Im sure he can match the output of the 406 pump you picked up.

(I have no finacial interest stations business)

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]

Last edited by coachgeo; 03-29-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 18313
Ck out SORV web site for steering kit?

Has anybody ever seen any of the stuff for mogs in the SORV catalog? They list power steering and tilt steering wheels and a lot of stuff, i called the guy but said lots of changes going on and web page will have direct order kits soon, is any one else doing any aftermarket stuff for the mog 404 where you can look and order? who has the power steering conversion on there truck or the fuel injection conversion? If you ger a 406 pump and steering box how much trobule and $ to put on 404, I have 47 inch tires and they are heck to turn when dead! The 406 has different axles than 404 or is it just the transmission that is different? I have seen some guys site where he has installed a 406 tilt cab on a 404, wnder if you can pull motor easy or still have to pull a for work/
CrazyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2708
You can make the 404 cab tiltable too. I think you just unbolt all the attachements but the front center one. Then tilt.

Old 03-30-2003, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Team RedNeck

Member # 3941
Send a message via AIM to TheLakeRat
I am currently working with Mark at SORV on building him a kit for 404's.
We are looking at using the Superduty box and also adding hydro assist to that to help turn those bigger tires.
So if your wanting to try it yourself that might give you a starting place.
1811 W. Beauregard Ave.
San Angelo, TX. 76901

www.westtexasoffroad.com

Redneck is not a style, fashion, or something that occurs due to location Ė Itís way of life. You canít be one - either You Are or You Arenít. I AM.~SilverZuk
TheLakeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 18313
Hey San angelp, do you know of any mog parts sources in texas, i have rusty brakes and am trying to put all new including wheel bearings in my front axle on a 404, i have been waiitng on parts book and shop manual for 2 weeks and jsut tore into blind, my brake shoes are rusted to the threaded pivot and i have been beating and spraying rust blaster on them all day, afraid they will break if i make a sllide hammer rig for them, typical fire department nelgect, have you any bearing shoes small parts or crossover numbers? Thanks, tried the mogmail list but has 404 error, sorry for all posts but have no where else, even mogsstink is down today? WiSh there was a forum, check out my ranch site www.ranchoblanco.bizland.com trying to link it to my imageevent of this project soon. Thanks, do you have mog you are placing steeringunit on to check out?
Old 03-30-2003, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Mogstink was down yesturday too. It is either reorganizing or its being put to rest for good. Hope not Aaron does some good stuff. I have not seen much action over there though or at Wunderlust or even at SORV's bulletin board. PBB seems to be weathering the startup fairly well so I think were going to be here for the long run.

I hope to find some more gear heads with a Mog interest involved to help with tech. Ya'll work on your mechanically inclined Mogging friends and talk them about comming online as one of our Tech Guru's.

Old 03-30-2003, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Team RedNeck

Member # 3941
Send a message via AIM to TheLakeRat
Crazy nerd, sory don't have a line on any Mog parts yet.
In fact i just bought my first rolling Chassis (406) that Coachgeo posted about a month ago.
It's at SORV right now just waiting on me to go get it or have it shipped.
But if i find out anything i'll let you know.

By the way, thanks Coachgeo. I got both those axles and the tires and wheels for 1900. They were the ones that you posted about on E-bay in Florida.
I've just been lurking for the past month trying to learn a few things.
1811 W. Beauregard Ave.
San Angelo, TX. 76901

www.westtexasoffroad.com

Redneck is not a style, fashion, or something that occurs due to location Ė Itís way of life. You canít be one - either You Are or You Arenít. I AM.~SilverZuk
TheLakeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Quote:
Originally posted by TheLakeRat
By the way, thanks Coachgeo. I got both those axles and the tires and wheels for 1900. They were the ones that you posted about on E-bay in Florida.
I've just been lurking for the past month trying to learn a few things.
click ra eak, click ra eack. ( the annoying sound of two check marks being drawn on a chalk board)

Thats two for me. I found a guy a camper box for his 1300L too.

(PIPE DREAM.. Someday it will be my turn too! )

Old 03-31-2003, 07:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 18313
www.JBs4x4.com in Oklahoma has a price and picture of a ready to go steering kit for 404s!$1299! Could you go by and check it out since you are in Oklahoma? I think a combine has a torque/type steering system to turn those giant rear tires in the mud, might be another way as well, wonder what the race car motor and pump go for? Race car does not use extra gear box does it? Thanks
Old 03-31-2003, 08:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2708
The one JB shows seems to be the exact same thing that Scott at Expedition Imports sells. Price is about the same too.

Old 03-31-2003, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 18281
power steering

From what I understand JB's makes them for Scott they are valved for the mog and due to the over built stock steering box they said not to worry about the box getting damaged.
camomog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Re: power steering

Quote:
Originally posted by camomog
From what I understand JB's makes them for Scott they are valved for the mog and due to the over built stock steering box they said not to worry about the box getting damaged.
No wonder they looked familure

Old 03-31-2003, 08:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
drj

Member # 17279
Crazy:

I have had two different 404 with torque generators on them for power steering. They worked great lock to lock with two fingers. I ran swampers on one and xm-27's on the other.

good luck

dan
drj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 18313
Did you build your own set up? What is involved, i guess a pump, oil tank and the nitty-gritty, wifey might try to drive if it is that easy to turn! That would help a lot! Did you do anything with the steering wheel angle? thanks, will let you know about trans as soon as i get back on road with brakes and road tires, trying to post pictures on site(mine) this week, what rubber do you run on your 404? thanks very much! Where do you trade for 404 parts in your area, i ended up in Cal but time delay is hard to work with, we always get dozer parts easier from the east coast vs the west coast for some reason?
Old 04-01-2003, 07:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
drj

Member # 17279
Crazy:

Both of them were made by JB.

When I need parts I usually get them from Scott at Expidition Imports.

I don't mean to insult you but looking at the pictures of you truck it looks like
a real rust bucket. Mog parts are expensive it you have to replace to many of them. It might be better to start with something a little nicer and use your truck for a parts truck. If you are interested I have a short wheel base 404 french mog that would make a good off road truck or rock crawler for $2500. It think the drive train is good and the engine turns over. It has been sitting for a few years.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak4/johnson/

Good luck

drj
drj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 04:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 17353
mogstink website

Hi there,

Stay away from any type of torque multiplier setup that imparts more torque on the steering box input. You will break your box that way. Also, torque multipliers make it really hard to steer straight when moving fast, as you don't have any road feel.

Any of the ram systems that supply extra force at the pitman arm/draglink location on the 404 would be the way to go.

also,

The mogstink website went back up a day or two ago after we were forced to upgrade our servers. (the old ones had an unfortunate accident when patching)

Any ideas on how to get more traffic on a bbs?

cya

Aaron

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgeo
Mogstink was down yesturday too. It is either reorganizing or its being put to rest for good. Hope not Aaron does some good stuff. I have not seen much action over there though or at Wunderlust or even at SORV's bulletin board. PBB seems to be weathering the startup fairly well so I think were going to be here for the long run.

I hope to find some more gear heads with a Mog interest involved to help with tech. Ya'll work on your mechanically inclined Mogging friends and talk them about comming online as one of our Tech Guru's.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Re: mogstink website

Quote:
Originally posted by aaronsb
Hi there,

Stay away from any type of torque multiplier setup that imparts more torque on the steering box input. You will break your box that way. Also, torque multipliers make it really hard to steer straight when moving fast, as you don't have any road feel.

Any of the ram systems that supply extra force at the pitman arm/draglink location on the 404 would be the way to go.

Good info Aaron.. tanks

Quote:
also,

The mogstink website went back up a day or two ago after we were forced to upgrade our servers. (the old ones had an unfortunate accident when patching)

cya

Aaron

Glad to hear it twas Temp. problem. I checked just this morning to see if you had it back up or not.

Old 04-03-2003, 07:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 12488
we have been running 6 of the Torque Generator columns for a number of years. Rubicon, Moab, etc. Really beating the crap out of them and have never had a problem.

JB's 4x4 is the manufacturer of the column. We helped put together a kit a number of years back, and sold it to some of our customer base. The on-road use of the TG column was the killer for us...actually the liability issues of people running them on road.

While the TG is great off-road, on-road we were not pleased with the performance. Think of a 70's Cadillac with a trunk full of bricks. Stop concentrating on the small steering corrections and you would have a serious problem.

I wouldn't hesitate to put the system on an off-road trail truck. They have seen more real world use and hard trails than any other solution on the market.

Personally, for road/trail trucks the only system we are retrofitting on project trucks is the original MBZ power steering from the 404.0 mogs. Expensive, but well worth the cost around $3000-3500.

Cheers,

Scott Ingham
Expedition Imports Corp.
www.expedition-imports.com
singham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 08:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 2708
MBZ Power Steering

Yoozaaaa thats pricey. Out of Range for most in here. Would love to see pics of the MBZ set up.