Mog on Cadillac - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2003, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
Mog on Cadillac etc.

Ok...... whats the vote..

A Mog 404 with a radio box camper and 12.5x20 tires... will it.... or will it not get into the Con at Loon Lake and then go up Cadillac hill out of the Con? Where would things get very "interesting"? Where would most "damage" occur?

I know several mogs have done the Con and a few of those have left out of Cadillac . I only heard of one rumored to have been a radio box and I dont know if that rig went out Cadillac.

Not that I'm going to be on the Rubicon anytime soon but for comparative purposes Im curious to what the experienced Moggers think.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]

Last edited by coachgeo; 03-26-2003 at 10:11 AM.
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2708
A responce from mogml on this subject

Quote:
Jon Whitt wrote:
Should make it with no problem. Last 4 th of July I had my 404 in and a guy with a 404 Swiss was in with full canvas both no problems.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2003, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Bill emailed his repsonce to me.

Quote:
Hmmmm. Cadillac was where I rolled the minimog. But, a 404 is much longer that the 411 and therefore would not be as subject to that kind of instability. That being said, a radio box would be much "tippier" with a substantially higher center of gravity. I am not sure that there would be an issue, and I think that any risk would be strongly related to whether you are heading downhill or up. If you came in from the Loon Lake end and therefore had to go up the hill, it might be easier. Going down and hitting the steps at the bottom of a ledge would result in a good bit of spring
bounce, and therefore a potential tip-over. Care would be needed, but should be doable.

The other thing that is worth considering is the width/turning radius. I recall that there were several points in the trees down by Rubicon Springs that were quite narrow. Frankly, I could not say with any certainty that the thing would fit.

The final thing is the balky actions of a gas fired carb-based vehicle. There are some steep angles there and you should insure that you have a new(er) battery that has plenty of capacity and a solid starter motor. The gas trucks seem to stall alot and therefore have to be restarted many times.

Take good photos when you go.

Good luck.

Bill Caid
As to stalling out cause of carb issues. In my case... there is a diesel outfitted under the dog house in my Mog so this would help tremmendously.