Sturborn 404 brake drum - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2003, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18313
Sturborn 404 brake drum

While waiting on manuals to come in i am trying tio do a brake job in a town with no metric bolts or mogs. Have the front brake drum stuck, have removed the 2 1/8 bolt &flathead screws, no long metric bolts in town, how else can i cheat and remove drum? Which bolt or hex turns the brake cam on the front brake assembly, have removed the line but no release of shoes yet. suspect the adjusters are rusted, drums moves about 1/2 inch but i can not see daylight so far, anything else u can think of, i am going to try to make a slide hammer out of the 10mm bolts holes but fear i stilll need to back off shoes somehow. thanks, have looked at other pages but need picture of which bolt adjsut brake shoe on 404 front thanks, in texas!
CrazyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2003, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
Do you have the bumblebee mog?

anyway Email me. Maybe I can send you a piece or two of the manuel to help you out. If my memory serves me correctly there is a threaded bolt hole in the drum to use to press off the drum.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]

Last edited by coachgeo; 03-29-2003 at 04:27 PM.
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2003, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 18313
404 hub puller how to make&where atach?

Got the drum off by moving the 2 cams on back until it let go finally, the hub moves around and must have an wheel bearing inside it out, how do you make the jack attachment to pull the hub? I see hollow axle inside so i guess you push against it and attach a bracket to the lub bolts so the jack can lie down sideways and push? Is there another way to do this, all we have is wimpy puller in Orielys, what size should i use withe the tapping method if i canot rig up jack for ram? thanks, shoes were worn and full of brake crud, looks like wheel cylinder not working, very hard to push shoes out with bar back and forth. Drum was not scored at all, might get by with relinning if i could get the linning and ribets somewhere? This is 404 german front axle assembly, trying to get pictures up so you can see ol rusty!
Old 03-30-2003, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18313
Rented a giant puller &removed the hub, what is the next, looks like i have to take everything apart to get to bearings, where do i start and what is procedure, bearing is loose, any place i can try to get bearings cross over to available bearing part numbers, hate to wait until ups comes in next week. Do the seals have a napa or national number? Thanks, am going to try to search on yahoo for 404 final drive rebuild or soemthing similar, maybe there is a how to somewhere with part numbers, thanks.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9502
Send a message via AIM to AGGIE_04
Here are the tech tips from www.rockymountainmoggers.com There is a link to a final drive rebuild i think. http://www.rockymountainmoggers.com/tech.html

http://community.webshots.com/user/rexhaber
AGGIE_04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2003, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4961
Send a message via Yahoo to cruiserrg
I recall on my 404 axles, that I was able to screw in two bolts into the threaded holes. I think they were 3/8" or 7/16" bolts course thread. Tighten them, they will press against the hub and seperate them.

HTH
Midwest 4 Wheel Drive Association Webmaster: [url="http://www.mw4wda.org"]www.mw4wda.org[/url]
cruiserrg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2003, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyNerd
.... Do the seals have a napa or national number? Thanks, am going to try to search on yahoo for 404 final drive rebuild or soemthing similar, maybe there is a how to somewhere with part numbers, thanks.
http://www.exaxt.ca/parts.asp They list a portal rebuild kit. He might be able to help you with just the seals etc.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2003, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 18313
Thanks, still looking for final drive rebuild how to, the RMM is 404 error, i have seen a mog site withe the amercian part numbers listed for the bearings and seals for the mog but cannot find it now. I am ordering from EI and will have to wait until it arrives, terrible no parts in Texas for the easy stuff. There used to be some dealership coverage of Mogs by Ed Hicks Imports Corpus Christi tx at one time, i have a Jerol Hill Motors Austin Tx sticker on my tailgate, anybody in Texas got any texas parts sources? I bought this critter from Commerce texas ranch, i saw a red 404 radio box in Austin on way up but did not stop due to hailstorm, anybody is welcome to come to ranch if in neighborhood, i have d8 cat and will be building a mog trap and track soon to have some fun. I am thinking about jetting the rubber i have now, they are 47 inches tall foamed 11x20 goodyears with deep v tread like tractor. I really like the usa6x6 14x20 mich or the 395x20 but anm unsure what tire he has would be best in mud down here. I drove all aound the worst part of my ranch with the mog with no lockers and did not stick! I have not driven my powerwagon there until it completely dries up, the raised axles are all the difference, cannot wait until i get good rubber and lockers unfroze or repaired.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.