Cool Find! (Pun Intended) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2003, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
Cool Find! (Pun Intended)

Hey, found these at a surplus place. I can get more for anyone that wants some. There is not many left though. 10 buks and give me something for shipping. Get two... one for ur passenger too? I plan to use mine to keep me cool as I drive to Florida in my Mog. I have been trying to think of a way to make these with out even knowing they existed already. These were designed for Military Tanks. You plug them into an airconditioning system and they blow the air on your mid back, chest, and neck. I'm thinking I'll just run a vacuum cleaner hose into the vent on the side of my Mog. Eventually I'll experement with one of the inexpensive 12v coolers plumed to suck cooler air out of it up thru this vest.

Plan is for now to use the velcrow adjustments to just pull it on and off of myself over my head like a poncho. This was the innital design in my head before I saw these. I bet that in the winter one could actually wear a blanket poncho with this vest underneath and fab up a blower to blow hot air into the tube from either a small 12v heater or fab up a way to get filtered hot air from the engine compartment.

Any other ideas on how to use these? Would certainly be easier than trying to heat or cool the whole cab. You only got to cool and heat you and your passenger.

Here is the vest whole
Attached Images

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]

Last edited by coachgeo; 07-10-2003 at 06:37 PM.
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2708
neck area shot. you can see the holes air comes out
Attached Images

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2003, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Picture with the vest removed showing the platic block with holes in its sides that sends air out toward your stomach and chest etc.

Their is a simular block for the middle of your back. The velcrow adjustments let you move this around till it falls in the curve where your back does not press into the seat.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2003, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7938
Well, I do not know anything about that vest but you can get the ones like the racers use. They have the those cool packs they put in an ice chest and them slip them in various places in a vest before they suit up.
KS Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Quote:
Originally posted by KS Toy
Well, I do not know anything about that vest but you can get the ones like the racers use. They have the those cool packs they put in an ice chest and them slip them in various places in a vest before they suit up.
now thats an idea... I can add a few cool pack pockets to these.

Since Im driving from OH to FL I dont think the cool pack will last to long though. Wonder how comfortable they would be???

Jell pack kinds might work better than the hard plastic type.. hmmmmm.

Old 07-10-2003, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
CJ
Rock God

Member # 71
That and one of those heat exchangers you got from me and you have one hell of a warm jacket.

There is still one more sitting on the side of my house.

81 CJ7
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Quote:
Originally posted by CJ
That and one of those heat exchangers you got from me and you have one hell of a warm jacket.

There is still one more sitting on the side of my house.
Yeah Ive been trying to get that into my budget buttt. since we started the shipping Ive become unemployed . Now Im bu$ted.. I cant afford to ship it; I'm now just scraping by. Not getting any unemployment comp. either.

Old 07-11-2003, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2708
I bought the place out today.. lease all they had on the shelf to mail to those who wanted a few for their rigs. They said they have some more in the back though.

Let me know if your interested.

So far the ideas that have come about.

. run a vacuum cleaner hose from the vest to the side vent that pops out on my mog. Will work for highway maybe. At slow offroad speeds wont help at all and thats when I realllly need it.
. find the smallest AC auto system I can find and plumb it in(any ideas?)
. use a air pump from an aquriam to supply air thru it to just cool some
. use my mogs air system (effect on brakes?)
. build a coolant/air heat exchanger for winter use
. use a 12v defroster heater for winter use

Old 07-12-2003, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2708
I just learned there are trousers that go with the vest. If anyone sees a supply for those let me know.!!!

Old 07-13-2003, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7976
If you are going to bother with all of the installation of AC why not just make the whole thing "mog" with AC
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 07:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Quote:
Originally posted by imjustdave
If you are going to bother with all of the installation of AC why not just make the whole thing "mog" with AC
Huge AC = power drain. Mogs have small engines and this power drain will be a not good thing.

1. the heat that radiates out the dog box will require a HUGE AC to overcome it. Do u know what the inside of a 404 looks like?

2. Most Mogs have a soft top also so agian.... huge AC needed

3. Mogs are WAY underpowered for anything but off roading and adding a AC will then underpower it offroad also.

A cool Suit (there is a trouser too if I can find one somewhere) would allow for a much smaller AC system or maybe no conventional AC system will be needed at all. A simpler design and a fan blowing thru the suit may be all that is needed.

Last edited by coachgeo; 07-13-2003 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 7976
coachgeo don't be a jerk man .......

you asked for ideas and I gave you one, and you brought up the idea of the AC unit to begin with. I don't know how much of a differance a load a small AC unit would be compared to a larger one for a cab. Also I have no idea if you are in a softtop or hard top

I have ridden in a 416 but not a 404

other ideas

insulate the crap out of the dog house and cab

radical idea could you build another dog house that covers the current one maybe 3/4 of an inch above and then create a air flow between them ? would this make a cooler cab ? maybe some sound deadining material.

use a water cooler, fill it with large block of ice and some water. At the bottom of the cooler install a small dry raditor, more of an water to air not like the typical raditor in the engine bay. run a line to your suit. Now the air blower may be hard to find not knowing what the size of a air line you are going to use

Peltier google it basilcy a cold sorce

install some foot well vents and fans to move air around

a 2k generator in the bed and a RV AC unit on the cab top

sell the mog and get a newer model with AC.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Quote:
Originally posted by imjustdave
coachgeo don't be a jerk man .....you asked for ideas and I gave you one,..
You miss interptreded my responce BIG TIME. No intent of insult, being a jerk, offering riddicule, or any such thing was meant in any way shape or form.

I have absolutely NO clue if you do or don't have an understanding of the lay out of a mog. I was curious though so I asked.

Then I explained things so that any non experienced Mog reader would understand why what seems the logical idea of adding full AC probably is not a logical choice in this case.

I am still looking for ideas about SMALL auto AC units though to plug the suit up too. Anyone got an idea for that. Something out of a small small car maybe?

Quote:
other ideas

insulate the crap out of the dog house and cab

radical idea could you build another dog house that covers the current one maybe 3/4 of an inch above and then create a air flow between them ? would this make a cooler cab ? maybe some sound deadining material.
Funny u should say that. I was at the Auto parts place today and they had windshield heat reflectors that you put up when parked. Well they were the kind with air bubbles in them on sale for one buck. I got two Jumbo size ones and cut it out and formed it around the dog box. Looks sorta hack but I am sure it will help. There is a MB cloth quilted dog box insulater... Im trying to line up someone that has one so I can copy the pattern and order some heat/sound shield material to make one with.

Quote:
use a water cooler, fill it with large block of ice and some water. At the bottom of the cooler install a small dry raditor, more of an water to air not like the typical raditor in the engine bay. run a line to your suit. Now the air blower may be hard to find not knowing what the size of a air line you are going to use
Now that is GREAT. I had been brainstorming on something simular but was not seeing the water to air cool exchanger in my head. Your idea solves a quandry I was having with my idea THANKS!

Quote:
Peltier google it basilcy a cold sorce
I know the peltier concept; it's how those little 12v coolers work. but for the life of me I couldnt remember the name of the thing so once again you come thru... THANKS. Now I can search for a source of these with out having to buy a whole cooler. I have a used one I could butcher. I was also thinking of an RV fridge innerds.. but couldnt see how to make it work well. Your water to air exchanger could solve that one too. Would be cool to heat the refrigerant with engine coolant heat exchanger. For those that dont know the refridgerant in RV fridges work by heating it with either a 12v, or 120v heating element or a LP pilot flame.

Quote:
...a 2k generator in the bed and a RV AC unit on the cab top
Actually in Europe there is a company that makes a 12v RV airconditioner. Just out of my price range. You indirectly hit on another one of my ideas that what was trying to figure out a way to share the AC for the camper in back with the cab in front (I have a radiobox and a fabed up flat bed I interchange back and forth with). I was thinking of 4" or so ducting from the Camper unit to the cab. Now I'm thinking it would be easier to put it on LOW and use smaller hose to duct it to the cool suit. Would certainly look nicer using the smaller hose than it would 4" round stuff. Granted when I pull the box off for the flat bed then I would loose that AC system ...... hmm less I reversed it and had the AC unit on the cab and ducted it to the camper when it is on. hmmmmmmm.. damn all this thinking hurts the noggin

oh.... and the cool suit hose, is just a tiny bit smaller than a standard shop vacuum hose.

I would love to find a small diesel generator. Have looked a little but not real hard cause for now it is also way out of my price range.

Thanks fer the ideas.. Keep it comming

Last edited by coachgeo; 07-14-2003 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Wo hooooooooo...... Cool man.... getting closer to personal AC.

check this out

Mucho thanks to Jimmy Kerrick in Tex for the lead to this product line.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
unimogken

Member # 11745
In an old magazine called Grassroots Motorsports they had a review of a couple personal AC units. Most of them had a "Igloo" type cooler mounted in the back full of ice water and a radiator. Then 2 hoses came out and went to a vest and a pump.

I guess its used alot in rally racing.

Last year on our trip down to NWMF we took off the doors and hung a leg out and had the wind blow up our shorts!! Was the best feeling for $0.00.

Later.

Ken S.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Quote:
Originally posted by unimogken
In an old magazine called Grassroots Motorsports they had a review of a couple personal AC units. Most of them had a "Igloo" type cooler mounted in the back full of ice water and a radiator. Then 2 hoses came out and went to a vest and a pump.

I guess its used alot in rally racing.

Last year on our trip down to NWMF we took off the doors and hung a leg out and had the wind blow up our shorts!! Was the best feeling for $0.00.

Later.

Ken S.
Blowin wind up your shorts...... bwahahahahah. Luv it.

Are you sure they had a Radiator? If they didnt then I bet the vest your speaking of are of the same principle used in medical devices to reduce swelling. They can get sorta combersom and heavy cause what they are are actually small tubes running thru the vest with cold water in them. The Igloo has ice in it like you stated. A small pump keeps the water moving. I thought about this but can see real difficulty in taking on and off that type of get up cause it is stiffer and heavier; esp. if you make trousers for that kind of setup. For a rally person though; they make their seat, their home, so style system works just fine for them.

One of the posters sugested a the radiator system though. Radiator acts like an exchanger... sorta like a tranny cooler backward. Dunk the tranny cooler/radiator in cold water/ice and push air thru the tubes picking up coolness from the water/ice and blowing the air out the vents in the vest.

I found a squirel cage fan today that I think will fit inline with my hose just perfect. 5 bucks at a military vehicle show I had my Mog sitting at today. Only couple miles from my house is a Private Military Vehicle Musem. Awsome stuff. Tommorow I'll go to Summit Racings Jeep mud bash near here then back to the military show. First I got to find the new rattle I have at idle that I dont like.